My dream is going to become a reality!

Lmcgrath87

Featured Posts

Oooh, NOW look what you've started (or could be about to start)! This is the most long-running topic of argument on the whole forum.

Yes, after all these years, would you believe that some people still prefer a pump-out...

But if you learn sense don't want the pump-out, I believe that they are fairly easily removed, and you just install your lovely new user-friendly electric-flush Thetford cassette loo where the old one used to be.

I am, of course, entirely unbiased on this matter.

Well after reading about both me gut reaction was that I'd prefer a cassette loo, I still don't fully undestand the workings of a pump out, but most boats I see advertised have pump outs which made me think there must be a reason why?

most boats I see advertised have pump outs which made me think there must be a reason why?

Perhaps it's because many of the boats of the size you want, in the price range you want, are ex-hire boats. Almost all hire boats have pump-out loos. This is (allegedly) because fleet operators have always felt that hirers are bone idle, stoopid, cack-handed and couldn't tell a sanitary station from a hole in the ground (and to be fair, there isn't always much difference) and therefore have not trusted them with cassette toilets. The pump-out tank will usually last for the duration of the hirers' cruise and so the tank gets emptied at the boatyard on its return.

The first couple of times that one empties the cassette it is, in truth, not especially pleasant. It would rarely be the highlight of a novice boater's day. But it soon becomes just a part of the daily boating routine.

Edited by Athy

Perhaps it's because many of the boats of the size you want, in the price range you want, are ex-hire boats. Almost all hire boats have pump-out loos. This is (allegedly) because fleet operators have always felt that hirers are bone idle, stoopid, cack-handed and couldn't tell a sanitary station from a hole in the ground (and to be fair, there isn't always much difference) and therefore have not trusted them with cassette toilets. The pump-out tank will usually last for the duration of the hirers' cruise and so the tank gets emptied at the boatyard on its return.

The first couple of times that one empties the cassette it is, in truth, not especially pleasant. It would rarely be the highlight of a novice boater's day. But it soon becomes just a part of the daily boating routine.

yeah - although i don't think I'll enjoy it, i'm not phased by the idea of a cassette toilet. I feel like (and I could be wrong) there is less that could go wrong with them?

In an ideal world my boat will have a cassette, and a also a solid fuel stove already in it. (and one of those little bathtubs....but that's not a necessity)

Looks good enough to me. I think a couple can either get on together living on a boat or they can't and an extra eight feet or so wouldn't make a great deal of difference to that. I'm sure many couples live on smaller boats. It has a Beta Marine engine, I'm led to believe they are held in high regard.

I wouldn't choose a pump-out toilet myself, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker. I do prefer a multifuel stove myself but that's largely because I get near-unlimited supplies of free wood. But at the end of the day it's your choice, only you know what is right for you.

Looks good enough to me. I think a couple can either get on together living on a boat or they can't and an extra eight feet or so wouldn't make a great deal of difference to that. I'm sure many couples live on smaller boats. It has a Beta Marine engine, I'm led to believe they are held in high regard.

I wouldn't choose a pump-out toilet myself, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker. I do prefer a multifuel stove myself but that's largely because I get near-unlimited supplies of free wood. But at the end of the day it's your choice, only you know what is right for you.

Thanks for your comments

As it's about £10k under budget I figured we'd have plenty left in the budget to install a fuel stove, and even tweek the interior around a bit. It's an ex rental so I hope it's in fairly good nick.

Luckily hubs and I also work different hours, so we're not actually home together much, he goes to work at 4am, and works sunday's I work office hours and work Saturdays so I think we could get along in a smaller space.

Oh, and remember that boat I tried to link to recently, it's come up on apolloduck today- I really quite like it, but what do you more experienced people think?

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=370112

Is this an ex Middlewich hire boat?

Colour scheme looks very similar to this:

15487458182_f104ae59d8_z.jpgDSCF1401

370112_12.jpg

Edited by Ray T

Yes i think so - it says it was fitted out by them, so I assume so?

There is just something about that boat that is drawing me to it! I have no idea why or what!

It's what is said, "The boat chooses you."

We spent some 18 months looking at boats but we kept coming back to the boat we now have.

It's what is said, "The boat chooses you."

We spent some 18 months looking at boats but we kept coming back to the boat we now have.

Yes, much like houses, you just know. It's a 3.5 hour drive to visit it so have asked Whilton (this is one is at Venetian) if they have anything similar I can look at next weekend to see if the layout/size works for us with a view to going to see it if I still can't shake this feeling.

Oh, and remember that boat I tried to link to recently, it's come up on apolloduck today- I really quite like it, but what do you more experienced people think?

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=370112

Looking at the name and the livery, is that an ex-Middlewich hire boat? If so I am surprised they have sold a boat off as young as that.

Edited to add: Posted too soon. I see Ray T has asked the same question.

Edited by David Mack

Looking at the name and the livery, is that an ex-Middlewich hire boat? If so I am surprised they have sold a boat off as young as that.

Edited to add: Posted too soon. I see Ray T has asked the same question.

Looks that way...

http://www.narrowboatsltd.co.uk/boats-20-40k/cedar-50-semi-trad/

Cedar is a 50’ Trad built in 2004 by Kirby Narrowboats.

The interior fit out was done to a high standard by Middlewich Narrowboats, who have been operating the boat since it was built. Due to the high demands of hire boating, this craft has had regular, professional maintenance throughout its life thus far. Propulsion is via a Beta Marine 4 cylinder diesel engine with excellent deck boards above and therefore a treat for the ear when steering her.

Looking at the name and the livery, is that an ex-Middlewich hire boat? If so I am surprised they have sold a boat off as young as that.Edited to add: Posted too soon. I see Ray T has asked the same question.

Is this a cause for concern do you think?

Probably not - it is about 10 years old, is it not? Some hire firms keep theirs only for half that time.

Middlewich owner "Chugalong" is a member here, so he may be able to tell you more about the boat.

Is this a cause for concern do you think?

Absolutely not. Just that Middlewich Boats under previous ownership, had some very old boats and the whole fleet was looking pretty tired. Since the company changed hands the new owner has been on here taking soundings about which may to take the business, and he did say he was selling off a number of boats. I just assumed they would be the real oldies, with a merely 10 year old boat being kept on. It seems I was wrong.

At that price it's under our budget and gives us good room to do this like add a fuel burner and make the interior more 'liveaboardable' I like the idea of taking on something that has been well maintained, especially as we're novices!

Our boat is an ex-hire boat (it did 5 years on hire), The first private owner spent very nearly £15,000 having the bedroom and bathroom refitted and other odds & sods (removal of pump-out, addition of SF fire etc)

I have the receipts - it was of course a boat-yard job, not a DIY job

That looks good too, and it's a good idea to have more than one boat on the radar as it puts you in a good negotiating position.

Others may correct me but I think it is overpriced for a Liverpool Boats shell, nothing wrong with them but they are the Ford rather than the Jaguar of the narrowboat world. I'd go along on a quiet day and offer them £30,000 for it.

That looks good too, and it's a good idea to have more than one boat on the radar as it puts you in a good negotiating position.

Others may correct me but I think it is overpriced for a Liverpool Boats shell, nothing wrong with them but they are the Ford rather than the Jaguar of the narrowboat world. I'd go along on a quiet day and offer them £30,000 for it.

Really?

Jaguars are as mass produced as Fords these days.

Badge snobbery?

Yes, maybe. As I understand it, Liverpool Boats were cheap to buy new and so they are cheap to buy second-hand. A bit like my truck, which is a Renault rather than a Scania or a Volvo.

It's just the way life is.

Doesn't it depend on the fit out though?

Comparing vehicle brands with boat builders is rather pointless.