My dream is going to become a reality!

Lmcgrath87

Featured Posts

Which is complete bobbins.

I remember them saying exactly the same thing back in the 1970s. And in the 1980s. And in the 1990s. Now people are saying 25 year old steel is fantastic compared to today's steel.

It's all exactly the same (in terms of corrosion resistance) in my personal opinion.

No doubt a boatbuilder will be along any second to tell me why I'm wrong about this wink.png

MtB

The steel used on the old ships is different from the modern steel [it is NOT iron, despite what people think] it is a slight difference, but it can be measured; it’s about 0.2 volts.

This difference will cause any new steel you have welded under your ship to corrode [rust] at a higher rate, protecting the older steel. Unless you have anodes to corrode instead, protecting all the steel

http://www.amsterdamhouseboats.nl/preventing_corrosion.htm

I remember them saying exactly the same thing back in the 1970s. And in the 1980s. And in the 1990s. Now people are saying 25 year old steel is fantastic compared to today's steel.

I believe Sheffield-made steel was of a higher quality, and was more corrosion-resistant and enduring than Indian or Chinese steel is nowadays.

Well, in fact, we all know it was. There's no point in trying to pretend that a boat built from Indian or Chinese steel could ever be as enduring as a boat built from Sheffield steel.

It's like boilers. What's going to be better, a boiler made in Huangshan or a boiler made in Worcester? wink.png

It's all exactly the same (in terms of corrosion resistance) in my personal opinion.

Different sources of the raw materials, and slighly different processes in different steel mills will result in slight differences in the chemical and physical properties of steels from different sources. But any boat built in the UK in the last 50-odd years will have been built from steel complying with British/ International Standards, so will be as durable as any other steel structure.

But any boat built in the UK in the last 50-odd years will have been built from steel complying with British/ International Standards, so will be as durable as any other steel structure.

I disagree. I see steel every day. There is no way that you could ever compare the quality of contemporary Indian/Chinese steel to 1980's Sheffield steel. Absolutely no way whatsoever.

Different sources of the raw materials, and slighly different processes in different steel mills will result in slight differences in the chemical and physical properties of steels from different sources. But any boat built in the UK in the last 50-odd years will have been built from steel complying with British/ International Standards, so will be as durable as any other steel structure.

Lets see if it will let me speak this time !!!!!

I agree with Southern Star on this....

.Yes boats should be built using steel to BSS but which one? There are a huge range of different steels all made to var. BSS and many designers specify different types for varying reasons There also is a wide range of steels coming in from abroad and few guarantees as to what steel a builder used

Edited by John V

Something ethereal happens when you find the right boat, it can't be described in words, but you just know you are destined to be the next owner of that boat.

The same for us buying Clarrie. We didn't even get a survey, which was wrong I know.

:)

I disagree. I see steel every day. There is no way that you could ever compare the quality of contemporary Indian/Chinese steel to 1980's Sheffield steel. Absolutely no way whatsoever.

The best steel for narrow boats is pre WW2 gasometer steel.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

OMG you're buying a motorhome instead, eh?

MtB

We considered it... but I think OH is too young to be insured on one (toy boy hehehe)...don't wanna be the only designated driver so we're back to boats now! clapping.gif

Edited by Lmcgrath87

From your username I'm guessing your around the same age as us. Hope you enjoy it, just remember lots of research and it seems your in the right place ;) Make sure to pick a boat you will love, anything you don't like about it which can't be changed you should probably just keep looking.

We considered it... but I think OH is too young to be insured on one (toy boy hehehe)...don't wanna be the only designated driver so we're back to boats now! clapping.gif

From your username I'm guessing your around the same age as us. Hope you enjoy it, just remember lots of research and it seems your in the right place wink.png Make sure to pick a boat you will love, anything you don't like about it which can't be changed you should probably just keep looking.

Thank you - yes you are probably right in age guessing!

We are doing so much research! Next step is to get moved back in with our mum's (we're both terrified of each other's parent's so I'm going back to mine and he's going back to his!) We've really managed to narrow down what we do what - which is GREAT, but it would now appear I can only find about 5 boats that meet our criteria....

Thank you - yes you are probably right in age guessing!

We are doing so much research! Next step is to get moved back in with our mum's (we're both terrified of each other's parent's so I'm going back to mine and he's going back to his!) We've really managed to narrow down what we do what - which is GREAT, but it would now appear I can only find about 5 boats that meet our criteria....

Earlier in the thread you only seemed to be looking for ONE boat...

:D

MtB

P.S. Thanks for the coat back Athy

We've really managed to narrow down what we do what - which is GREAT, but it would now appear I can only find about 5 boats that meet our criteria....

You'll know when you find the right one, it's a visceral feeling, you just know. I'd looked at hundreds on Apollo Duck, and viewed about a dozen when my girlfriend and I were on holiday iin August, all of which were the right specification but none of them "did it" for us. We then visited another marina (Aqueduct) which had just one boat for sale that was to specification (length, stern type, engine, price mainly).

So we looked around the outside and it looked OK, paintwork was a bit faded but basically sound. Then we opened the bow doors and stepped inside. We stood there in stunned silence for three or four seconds, then looked at each other and simultaneously and spontaneously said "Oh wow".

And I think that's how it happens for a lot of people, if you just take your time and don't rush into buying the first boat you see, something amazing will happen when you find "the one".

You'll know when you find the right one, it's a visceral feeling, you just know. I'd looked at hundreds on Apollo Duck, and viewed about a dozen when my girlfriend and I were on holiday iin August, all of which were the right specification but none of them "did it" for us. We then visited another marina (Aqueduct) which had just one boat for sale that was to specification (length, stern type, engine, price mainly).

So we looked around the outside and it looked OK, paintwork was a bit faded but basically sound. Then we opened the bow doors and stepped inside. We stood there in stunned silence for three or four seconds, then looked at each other and simultaneously and spontaneously said "Oh wow".

And I think that's how it happens for a lot of people, if you just take your time and don't rush into buying the first boat you see, something amazing will happen when you find "the one".

Yeah, I am hoping expecting that to happen (it kinda has already, but I want to make sure it's not just over excitement) We've go about 5 weeks now of no boat hunting, so I'm hoping we'll see more come onto the market in the new year (and the one we want hasn't sold) so we can really make an informed decision.

I think one thing making it difficult is not wanted fixed furniture in the living area.

None of my furniture is fixed. I got a nice corner sofa to put inside mine from nabru.co.uk. We used to have ikea rocking chairs and found it unbearable.

Yeah, I am hoping expecting that to happen (it kinda has already, but I want to make sure it's not just over excitement) We've go about 5 weeks now of no boat hunting, so I'm hoping we'll see more come onto the market in the new year (and the one we want hasn't sold) so we can really make an informed decision.

I think one thing making it difficult is not wanted fixed furniture in the living area.

None of my furniture is fixed. I got a nice corner sofa to put inside mine from nabru.co.uk. We used to have ikea rocking chairs and found it unbearable.

Yesss I have a Nabru sofa at the moment in my flat and I looove it and I don't want to give it up, so it's coming with us. So I want something with no fixed furniture, but most seem to feature fixed things.

Yesss I have a Nabru sofa at the moment in my flat and I looove it and I don't want to give it up, so it's coming with us. So I want something with no fixed furniture, but most seem to feature fixed things.

Fixed narrowboat furniture would be one of the easiest things to get rid of and you'd quite possibly be able to sell it on ebay.

What works for me personally is this sofa. As a sofa it's very comfortable, but pull it away from the wall, push the back down and pull the base up and hey presto, it's an equally comfortable double bed for visitors.

Desiree8_zps652d67df.jpg