can anybody help a friend

Smudge

Featured Posts

Afternoon all ive just had a phone call from a friend of mine her boat has decided to fall out with its engine mounts and depart from the prop shaft. At the moment she is at whilton lock but has to be at Napton to get her boat painted on monday . Is there anybody heading that way who could give her a tow please ? Or at least to the pub at the top of the flight

I've met some great people when I have offered help and tows..:..sadly though it seems to becoming less common to help other boaters out....as I was towing one boat a couple of years ago several other boaters expressed suprise I was helping a complete stranger...quite sad really....I work on the principal that you should always offer help as you never know when you might need some in return.

Cheers

Gareth

PS if I had seen this earlier I would have happily diverted and dropped down buckby but I'm now up on the leicester summit...sorry!!

I would think breasted up through the Buckby flight, then a long tow through Braunston tunnel and then breasted for the Braunston flight.

Any further news on this?

Thanks Purple Fairie and Smudge, only three boats have passed heading in the right direction - a couple who were very new to boats ( but were pleasant enough), one hire boat approaching their first lock and three people who looked at me as if I had maggots pouring out of my mouth...

You might want to make a few more posts so that you can PM if you need to.

I have often offered and never denied anyone a tow. My 20" (semi-vee) draft 20hp, 33' little nb can move a 25+ tonne boat through shallows or for many miles. I didn't even mind them (unecessarily) ramming into my stern on a long tow when I have to stop due to duckeed blocking my raw water filter. Of course, they did not realise that without their engine running their rudder had little effect and required much more anticipaiton.

The T&Cs of hire boats (insurance) uually deny them from towing.

Breast-up through wide locks, cross-brace on short pounds. Even with a close-coupled, cross-braced towed boat slowing down/stopping is difficult, the towed boat will 'jacknife' across the cut; reversing is even more difficult.

Recently, towing a short boat, I judged my speed to allow an oncoming boat to pass in a wider section and then allowed an unexpected second boat to safely pass me. I was not prepared for the third of this convoy, clearly he should have 'hung back' and allowed me to pass the obstruction first. His crew, on the bow informed me that he had to proceed due to their deep draft, I could only reply, "Me too!". Only the various suction, repulsion effects luckily prevented a collision between my boat and either the moored boat and/or the oncoming boat.

When you are towing oncoming boats have no idea of your lack of manouverabilty and overtaking boats cannot conceive of 140' or much more. Then again there are many who handle a boat or a pair better than I.

Alan

I would comment that we do not know what experiences those who declined to offer a tow in this and the Trent thread have had. A fair while back I found a boat with a trad engine above the Watford that had split an olive in one of his injector pipes so was suck. I was more than happy to offer him a tow to his mooring at Crick but as my T studs are offset and we had to face the tunnel I provided my river line to long line. For some reason he would insist on keep shortening the tow and making it much harder to control my boat. That tunnel was difficult. maybe some have suffered and do not wish to duplicate the experience.