Chop!

Featured Posts

We always de-scale our kettles, steam-generator iron etc. using white vinegar, does a great job. Recently we de-scaled the radiators on some of our company's buses using the same method.

Our calorifier is not getting the water as hot as it usually does, I blew down the pipe in both directions and got a load of crud out and then used the hosepipe to force all the air out and re-prime it. It's a lot better, but still not 100%.

Next I'm going to fill it with white vinegar (which we can buy by the gallon very cheaply) I'll run it for a bit then flush it out.

Anyone else tried this method?

I cleaned the heat exchanger in my boiler about five years ago in my house with malt vinager and it's worked fine ever since I also use rough cider which is much the same to soak dirty engine parts in and they come out spotless. I don't buy the cider for cleaning purposes but as it goes off in a few days once opened I often have half a gallon laying about that's turned a bit vinagarie

I have used malt vinegar when I couldn't get white and there didn't seem to be much difference.....I never thought to use gone off cider (probably 'cos cider doesn't last long enough to go off round here) :)

. Sadly for us proper West Country scrumpy drinkers the real gear only lasts three days once you open the tub so inevitably sometimes there's a drop left .but in the last year or two I've overcome the going off problem by buying a large plastic bag like wine comes in with a tap on, as the bag shrinks as you drink the cider allowing know air in it stays fresh for weeks sorted, but now I have to buy proper engine degreaser

Yep, I use White Vinegar alot,,,

(I wonder if Brown would work ?).

I even chuck a load down the loo a cpl of times a year then flush the whole thing out & re dose

Yes, brown malt vinegar works just as well in my experience and is often cheaper too.

We always de-scale our kettles, steam-generator iron etc. using white vinegar, does a great job. Recently we de-scaled the radiators on some of our company's buses using the same method.

Our calorifier is not getting the water as hot as it usually does, I blew down the pipe in both directions and got a load of crud out and then used the hosepipe to force all the air out and re-prime it. It's a lot better, but still not 100%.

Next I'm going to fill it with white vinegar (which we can buy by the gallon very cheaply) I'll run it for a bit then flush it out.

Anyone else tried this method?

How do you plan to fill your calorifier. Will you be isolating and draining it, or draining the entire freshwater system? The problem with the latter is that the vinegar won't stay in the calorifier.

Edited by blackrose

.How do you plan to fill your calorifier. Will you be isolating and draining it, or draining the entire freshwater system? The problem with the latter is that the vinegar won't stay in the calorifier.

I am only de-scaling the heat-exchanger to calorifier bit, it is not connected to the the freshwater (which, anyway, we don't actually drink, preferring to use old 5 litre mineral water bottles for our drinking water) the only interaction with the 'freshwater' is when it travels through the calorifier coils and heats the water on the other side.

To re-prime it, I either push a 4 foot length of plastic pipe into the rubber hose, hold it up and put a small funnel in the top, thus creating a head of water, or here in the marina I can connect a hose and force all the air out.

I am only de-scaling the heat-exchanger to calorifier bit, it is not connected to the the freshwater (which, anyway, we don't actually drink, preferring to use old 5 litre mineral water bottles for our drinking water) the only interaction with the 'freshwater' is when it travels through the calorifier coils and heats the water on the other side.

To re-prime it, I either push a 4 foot length of plastic pipe into the rubber hose, hold it up and put a small funnel in the top, thus creating a head of water, or here in the marina I can connect a hose and force all the air out.

I am confused. On my calorifier (and most others I thought?), coolant containing antifreeze flows through the coils while freshwater flows through the bulk of the calorifier volume. So a calorifier IS a heat exchanger. If you mean you are only descaling the inside of the coils that doesn't make sense to me since they shouldn't get scaled-up in the first place if you are using the correct coolant/antifreeze mixture. The part of the calorifier which does get scaled up (and very badly in hardwater areas), is the bulk freshwater side.

Why anybody would want to drink water from their hot water calorifier is a mystery to me. However, whether you drink the water from your calorifier or not will make absolutely no difference to limescale formation within the tank, so this is a complete irrelevance.

Inspired by these useful vinegar based tips I have today descaled my kettle with the brown stuff, 'cause that's what was in the cupboard, about 50/50 with water. I have also learned that if you allow the mix to boil it foams up a treat and a lot of the kitchen gets a clean too.