Boater with no respect or consideration for anyone else

KenK

Featured Posts

IMG_20140828_200502_zps9dc77fe8.jpg

IMG_20140828_200546_zps0d1f1946.jpg

IMG_20140828_200617_zps8750f3ca.jpg

The photographs were taken at Sandon Lock last Thursday, the boat on the lock landing arrived a little after 5 o'clock in the evening, single middle aged male with no health problems judging by the way he could move around.

When he moored up the boat facing the lock was not present it turned up later, so plenty of space to moor after the lock landing, even after it arrived, space also in front of the other boat.

He stayed moored on the lock landing until 8.30 Friday morning despite causing problems for boats arriving to go down the lock, including several hire boats a couple of which ended up across the canal.

He didn't cause me a problem we were already moored well above the lock and normally the actions of other boaters don't set me off but this persons total disregard for anyone else really set me off.

Rant Over

Ken

• Greenie 1

In all fairness they might be new and unaware of the etiquette

I still do not like the idea of naming and shaming and certainly not until such time as you can give us the gist of any conversation you had where he refused to move when his mistake was pointed out

Twelfe is a share boat, isn't it?

I say this not to suggest that sharers are any worse (or better) than other boaters, but to avoid next week's crew being tarred with this brush.

Again another reason for not naming and shaming

I dont really understand the pictures. In the first two, the boat is clearly moored on the lock landing, but in the third, it is moored further away from the lock. So did he first moor on the landing and then move off it?

Edited to say oops I just noticed the third picture is a different boat.....blush.png

Gotta visit specsavers.

Edited by billS

I dont really understand the pictures. In the first two, the boat is clearly moored on the lock landing, but in the third, it is moored further away from the lock. So did he first moor on the landing and then move off it?

No he didn't move he stayed there all night.

As for the other comments he had a row with the owners of another boat trying to use the lock who told him in no uncertain terms what he was doing was wrong. He just ignored them and went into the boat, there is no excuse for ignorance.

Ken

No he didn't move he stayed there all night.

As for the other comments he had a row with the owners of another boat trying to use the lock who told him in no uncertain terms what he was doing was wrong. He just ignored them and went into the boat, there is no excuse for ignorance.

Ken

Why is the boat in a different place in the third picture?

Also, i agree with CWM about naming and shaming. Personally I think posting pics of his boat on here is much more of a dick move than mooring on a lock landing, so you lost any moral high ground you might have had when you made this post.

For all we know, this may just be someone who OP has a personal vendetta against that moored there for 10 minutes...

Edited by Delta9
  • Greenie 1

IMG_20140828_200502_zps9dc77fe8.jpg

IMG_20140828_200546_zps0d1f1946.jpg

IMG_20140828_200617_zps8750f3ca.jpg

The photographs were taken at Sandon Lock last Thursday, the boat on the lock landing arrived a little after 5 o'clock in the evening, single middle aged male with no health problems judging by the way he could move around.

When he moored up the boat facing the lock was not present it turned up later, so plenty of space to moor after the lock landing, even after it arrived, space also in front of the other boat.

He stayed moored on the lock landing until 8.30 Friday morning despite causing problems for boats arriving to go down the lock, including several hire boats a couple of which ended up across the canal.

He didn't cause me a problem we were already moored well above the lock and normally the actions of other boaters don't set me off but this persons total disregard for anyone else really set me off.

Rant Over

Ken

I'm confused, what is the last picture supposed to show? It's a different boat.

It doesn't really show that, except for the obvious - there's always space further along the tow path, it's just a question of how much further.

Perhaps the OP can enlighten us what he intended to demonstrate by the third pic. At first look I thought it was the offending boat but then I put my specs on smile.png

If I come to a lock landing with a boat moored on it, I just moor alongside it as clumsily and as noisily as possible, and stomp across it heavily, dragging ropes and things across their roof. I once accidentally knocked a pole into the water doing that. I often manage to drop my windlass onto their rear deck.

I don't bother to point out the bleeding obvious, and neither do I get stressed about it.

Edited by billS
  • Greenie 3

Why is the boat in a different place in the third picture?

Also, i agree with CWM about naming and shaming. Personally I think posting pics of his boat on here is much more of a dick move than mooring on a lock landing, so you lost any moral high ground you might have had when you made this post.

For all we know, this may just be someone who OP has a personal vendetta against that moored there for 10 minutes...

Re the various comments in support or excusing his actions

If you had bother to read my comments and also look at the pictures you'll see that I stated he didn't cause me any problems, given that I had never met him why would I have a vendetta?

No he didn't move even when he was asked to and even when one of the hire boats was jammed across the canal because of his selfishness.

I don't know if it was a shared boat but as far as experience he was single handing and had absolutely no difficulty operating the lock on his own.

So he certainly knew how to operate a lock and therefore how mooring there would cause problems for others.

The other two pictures are just to show available mooring, just in front of the lock and just after the second boat which is moored stern to stern with the one pointing towards the lock.

He was asked to move by at least one boater and refused to do so.

He stayed on the lock landing from 5.00 until 8.30 the next morning, inconvenienced a number of boaters when there was good mooring right in front of him, I find it difficult to understand why the need to excuse his actions.

Ken

• Greenie 2

Although he is wrong, perhaps he assumed that since he tied up late in the day and was off again early the next, then he would be in nobody's way. Some canals are really quiet and a newbie could easily think that boats only move during the day.

No excuse Ken, he's a dickglare.gif

Edit to add: I do think you should have had words though, the more people that tell him he's in the wrong the better. I would have approached him with something like 'is everything ok, do you have a problem with the boat, do you need a hand to move off the lock landing?' or something like that

Edited by Kendal
  • Greenie 1

Re the various comments in support or excusing his actions

I wasn't supporting or excusing his actions. I was saying that your actions (posting pictures of his boat on here with your accusations) are worse than his.

If you had bother to read my comments and also look at the pictures you'll see that I stated he didn't cause me any problems, given that I had never met him why would I have a vendetta?

That's exactly what someone with a vendetta would say... We are supposed to take your word for it?

What was the purpose of posting pictures of his boat on here? You could have had a good moan without 'naming and shaming' him.

Although he is wrong, perhaps he assumed that since he tied up late in the day and was off again early the next, then he would be in nobody's way. Some canals are really quiet and a newbie could easily think that boats only move during the day.

5 pm and 8 30 am late and early this time of the year?

We arrived at the lock between Alrewas and Fradley (Common lock?) to find a boat moored on the very short lock landing, lots of folk on board having lunch. There was perhaps 6' of free space in which I could drop Jeff off. I commented to the folk on board that really they shouldn't be moored there because it caused a problem for others using the lock, but didn't get much reaction. I then somehow managed to bump them a bit - can't think how - at which point the skipper stormed out into the deck. I pointed out that if he was going to moor there he was likely to get bumped by people trying to use the lock. He started up, cast off and roared off at full throttle but not before telling me angrily "we had no choice but to stop here". Presumably the lack of choice was because it was the only place with bollards, and it was lunchtime and raining. It was an Anglo welsh boat but I say that only because hirers normally know better. Sort of wish I'd hit them a bit harder really!

• Greenie 1