Turning around

peterboat

Featured Posts

Hi all,

We came to Sheffield this weekend to get a quote on some steelwork and watch Rita, Sue and bob too. We moored at Johnathon Wilsons yesterday, and today decided to turn Joyce around in the he basin ready to go back down the flight tomorrow.

All went well we moored just before the footbridge Jayne jumped off, wound the the footbridge out off the way I went through and started doing my 360 to go back out when a NB that had moored up decided to follow me through the bridge. I had nearly completed my turn when I noticed him right where I wanted to be as I couldnt get back out I cut power and waited for him to moor up, but no he then starts doing a 360 right where I am. By this time I have drifted into the 2 hotel boatshelp.gif that are moored there and I am in danger of hitting more boats so I started heading back towards the bridge, it was then that the offending boat realized I was there so he cut power and let me pass firmly looking the other way. Jayne bless her kept the bridge open for them as they passed back through still looking the other way me I smiled and thought evil thoughts cloud9.gif

Still its just another day on the waterwayscaptain.gif

Peter

When one intends to do something fancy like turn around, you can always let boats in the vicinity know what you're gonna do...

Exactly; that's one of the many reasons why it is a good idea to know the appropriate sound signals.

4 Short blasts followed by one short blast - I am turning right round to Starboard (Right)

4 Short blasts followed by two short blasts- I am turning right round to Port (Left)

Howard

Exactly; that's one of the many reasons why it is a good idea to know the appropriate sound signals.

4 Short blasts followed by one short blast - I am turning right round to Starboard (Right)

4 Short blasts followed by two short blasts- I am turning right round to Port (Left)

Howard

You're quite right (of course)

And I do use sound signals - - though it's (not?) surprising how many boaters apparently don't know what they mean.

I did a 540 in Titford Pools on the BCN Challenge earlier this year. Because I could, that's why! :-)

Here's a 540° done at between 1000 - 1200rpm without using my BT. What are the sound signals for this manoeuvre? tongue.png

Contrary to what one forum member says, doing this has nothing to do with river currents as I've done it on still water too. It's possible simply due to the length:width ratio of the boat and the shallow draught.

Edited by blackrose

When one intends to do something fancy like turn around, you can always let boats in the vicinity know what you're gonna do...

Not sure about that one I had done over 90 degrees when he decided to come and join me. Maybe we were supposed to do synchronized turning hug.gif He could have stopped and let me finish as he could see from the other side of the bridge what I was about but thats life

Peter

Here's a 540° done at between 1000 - 1200rpm without using my BT. What are the sound signals for this manoeuvre? tongue.png

Contrary to what one forum member says, doing this has nothing to do with river currents as I've done it on still water too. It's possible simply due to the length:width ratio of the boat and the shallow draught.

Cool

Hi all,

We came to Sheffield this weekend to get a quote on some steelwork and watch Rita, Sue and bob too. We moored at Johnathon Wilsons yesterday, and today decided to turn Joyce around in the he basin ready to go back down the flight tomorrow.

All went well we moored just before the footbridge Jayne jumped off, wound the the footbridge out off the way I went through and started doing my 360 to go back out when a NB that had moored up decided to follow me through the bridge. I had nearly completed my turn when I noticed him right where I wanted to be as I couldnt get back out I cut power and waited for him to moor up, but no he then starts doing a 360 right where I am. By this time I have drifted into the 2 hotel boatshelp.gif that are moored there and I am in danger of hitting more boats so I started heading back towards the bridge, it was then that the offending boat realized I was there so he cut power and let me pass firmly looking the other way. Jayne bless her kept the bridge open for them as they passed back through still looking the other way me I smiled and thought evil thoughts cloud9.gif

Still its just another day on the waterwayscaptain.gif

Peter

I've re-read it now you've confirmed it was a 180 deg turn, not 360 deg. Sounds like you took too long to do the turn, but I don't know the area so can't say how far you could see after the bridge to see if its clear both ways before turning the boat etc.

There were some very neat 360° turns in the boat handling at Saul on Saturday afternoon, I am sure I couldn't have done so well with a commentary over the speakers and people lined up watching me.

Yes, they were brilliant!

I was there testing cider on Saturday pm.

"I had done over 90 degrees when he decided to come and join me" - yes, I should stay quiet sometimes :) But I think I made a sensible decision recently, took our binoculars to the boat for those occasions when we might need to zoom in and see what's happening.

We have often run along to a lock to peer over/down to see if anyone else is coming so we get a general idea as to whether we go on or hold back and stay out of trouble.

I have witnessed narrowboats ploughing along after each other bumper-to-bumper and then grinding to a halt when they realise they can't go on because of a queue for something and they're out mid-channel making the canal too narrow for boats coming the other way (when there's a row of boats parked up and no places to squeeze into).