Mischief at the Mill - How bad?

Lengthenby

Featured Posts

Much has been written about the beauty of the northern canals. Consequently it seems sensible to consider limiting searches for second hand boats to a maximum of say, 61 feet. But how bad is the mischief on some of those canals? Are folk talking about inconvenience, unpleasantness or something sufficiently nasty to reconsider the reasons for limiting boat length? Perhaps there are already adequate records on the forum but I haven't found the right search terms.

There are very good reasons for buying a 57 foot boat if you live up here in the north. With fenders itwill be towards 60 foot. Quite a few locks leak badly. Its a nuisance being too close to the waterfall. A 57 foot boat will get you comfortably to most places. Yes, you can get by with a longer boat but its more of a struggle up here. Why make it hard. Now....if you are just going to sit in a marina....well...buy one as long as you like.

there - you got there in the end!

It has nothing to do with mischief, and everything to do with the length of the locks! If you go towards the 'go anywhere' 58' boat you are still going to get wet if you stand on the back! You will also be very alarmed at the huge amounts of water cascading onto your bows - but you get used to it!

There are very good reasons for buying a 57 foot boat if you live up here in the north. With fenders itwill be towards 60 foot. Quite a few locks leak badly. Its a nuisance being too close to the waterfall. A 57 foot boat will get you comfortably to most places. Yes, you can get by with a longer boat but its more of a struggle up here. Why make it hard. Now....if you are just going to sit in a marina....well...buy one as long as you like.

I find 60 ft fine when tied as a pair with another boat as I work the locks hehe hey Peter when are you moving back? Be nice to catch up Edited by cotswoldsman

Well at least my question produced a wonderful bit of Python! And also by default answers to my question - which was really about hooliganism around the canals. But happily it does not seem to be a significant issue. Many thanks. So under 60' it might well be. Marmite is banned in Canada I believe............