Newbie saying hello

boatcat

Featured Posts

Hi everyone,

After quite some time lurking and reading as much as possible, I thought it was time to finally make my first post.

Truth be told, I don't have much narrowboat experience but my boyfriend and I have now decided that we would love to give living on a boat life a go. I'm quite attracted buy the idea that I'll be more 'outdoorsy', that I'll actually have to do stuff instead of just sitting around stuck to my computer screen. I probably sound really naive but I'm well aware that it'll often be cold, wet and muddy.

I'm on the lookout for a boat now and will hopefully be living in it by the end of the year. So far we've decided we want a boat that's around 50ft with a cassette toilet and a fixed double bed, vague I know but our budget is only £25,000 max so I guess we can't be too fussy.

Anyhow, I wanted to say thanks for all the information on these forums. I'm still really confused about a lot of boaty things (Batteries, inverters, alternators ???) but all the info is soo useful. I hope it's okay if ask for your opinions on boats that I'm interested in?

Edited by boatcat

Hi everyone,

After quite some time lurking and reading as much as possible, I thought it was time to finally make my first post.

Truth be told, I don't have much narrowboat experience but my boyfriend and I have now decided that we would love to give living on a boat life a go. I'm quite attracted buy the idea that I'll be more 'outdoorsy', that I'll actually have to do stuff instead of just sitting around stuck to my computer screen. I probably sound really naive but I'm well aware that it'll often be cold, wet and muddy.

I'm on the lookout for a boat now and will hopefully be living in it by the end of the year. So far we've decided we want a boat that's around 50ft with a cassette toilet and a fixed double bed, vague I know but our budget is only £25,000 max so I guess we can't be too fussy.

Anyhow, I wanted to say thanks for all the information on these forums. I'm still really confused about a lot of boaty things (Batteries, inverters, alternators ???) but all the info is soo useful. I hope it's okay if ask for your opinions on boats that I'm interested in?

Hi Boatcat, glad you two have decided to join us and its nice to see you have already a firm idea of the sort of boat you want, sounds like a reasonable choice. As for all the other stuff, well it will all become clear after a while, it IS a steep learning curve so hang on in there.

Phil

Hi!

Welcome to the forum. Myself and my girlfriend moved on board last February, with a much smaller budget than yours... It is fair to say that it is the best thing I have ever done!

Sounds like you have a realistic budget, as long as you don't mind if your boat is a little rough round the edges... Get a survey done and be confident you know that the hull and engine are good (or that you budget to fix them... though that's less likely). Pretty much everything else can be sorted out, or lived with for some time at least.

Have you thought about where you are going to keep the boat? Will you be in a marina or other permanent mooring? Or do you intend to join the noble ranks of the Continuous Cruisers? There is lots written on here about the latter camp (to which I belong) and it is all worth reading before you commit, but don't let it scare you off if it's what you want to do...

Best of luck!

Tom

Thanks for your responses!

I've accepted that our boat will definitely be a little rough round the edges but my boyfriend and I are happy to get our hands dirty and do a bit of DIY (within reason). A survey definitely sounds like a must, I couldnt imagine taking the risk of buying without one. What I'm most worried about is figuring out how well a boat is really setup; ie electrics, condensation, insulation, heating etc.

I've found this boat at Whilton Marina, to a me it seems like good deal but I'm sure I've overlooked a number of things. Whilton Marina don't seem to have a good rep around here either, so I'm a bit worried they'll see newbie coming a mile away and act accordingly.

http://www.whiltonmarina.co.uk/used-narrowboats/details/2888.aspx

Edited by boatcat

Welcome Boatcat.

Looks a nice boat -- conventional layout, plenty of space to do your own thing. As you say, the most important things are a sound hull and a good engine.

Three leisure batteries plus one cranking (engine) battery was fairly standard in the late 80's/90's. Boats tend to have more now, but they also have more electrical kit to run. The blurb doesn't say anything about an on-board battery charger (apart from the engine of course) but if absent it's easily added, since there is a shoreline connection.

Good luck -- go and see it, if you haven't already! Whilton will have other boats which won't tick boxes for you, but the more you look at, the more you will learn.

I shall try to see as many boats as possible, I like the idea of just wandering around Whilton for the day.

Machpoint thanks for the advice, are 3 leisure batteries enough for 'modern' living; meaning having a fridge, charging laptops and phones and maybe powering a hifi. I have a Playstation but I've already figured that it'll probably have to go into storage. I'll be CCing so is a battery charger that useful?

Welcome Boatcat.

Looks a nice boat -- conventional layout, plenty of space to do your own thing. As you say, the most important things are a sound hull and a good engine.

Three leisure batteries plus one cranking (engine) battery was fairly standard in the late 80's/90's. Boats tend to have more now, but they also have more electrical kit to run. The blurb doesn't say anything about an on-board battery charger (apart from the engine of course) but if absent it's easily added, since there is a shoreline connection.

Good luck -- go and see it, if you haven't already! Whilton will have other boats which won't tick boxes for you, but the more you look at, the more you will learn.

Edited by boatcat

And a big HI YA & WELCOME from me as well,

A few of us follow 'The Donut Law' of boating.

Do Ask what ever you want, it's the only way to learn.

Only the UN asked questions are the silly ones.

Never feed the Troll's.

Understand that topics drift 'Off Topic' at times, but get answerd,eventually, By some VERY knowledgeable members.

Take great care around 'Certain' topics. (Eg, CCRs Vs CMrs, Pumpouts Vs Cassettes, NBs Vs WBs ect) .

Love the new life you've chosen to explore.

Always help other boaters if you can.

With great knowledge, comes great responsibility.

Good luck & catch you on the boards.

Enjoy !.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

I shall try to see as many boats as possible, I like the idea of just wandering around Whilton for the day.

Machpoint thanks for the advice, are 3 leisure batteries enough for 'modern' living; meaning having a fridge, charging laptops and phones and maybe powering a hifi. I have a Playstation but I've already figured that it'll probably have to go into storage. I'll be CCing so is a battery charger that useful?

Liveaboards and CCers are better qualified to answer that question than I, but I;d imagine the answer is 'not really'. Unless you plan to run the engine a lot of the time (and in winter too). If the engine is running you should also get 'free' hot water; if not, you will pay for it via gas/diesel heater or a mains immersion heater when hooked up.

High electrical demand equipment includes TV, washing machine, hair dryer etc, but the power demands of phones are insignificant. Modern laptops are much less hungry than they used to be, but for example, mine draws 1.3A on a mains adaptor so it's around a third of a hair dryer!

And a big HI YA & WELCOME from me as well,

A few of us follow 'The Donut Law' of boating.

Do Ask what ever you want, it's the only way to learn.

Only the UN asked questions are the silly ones.

Never feed the Troll's.

Understand that topics drift 'Off Topic' at times, but get answerd,eventually, By some VERY knowledgeable members.

Take great care around 'Certain' topics. (Eg, CCRs Vs CMrs, Pumpouts Vs Cassettes, NBs Vs WBs ect) .

Love the new life you've chosen to explore.

Always help other boaters if you can.

With great knowledge, comes great responsibility.

Good luck & catch you on the boards.

Enjoy !.

And if on a particular topic, the vast majority of forum members tell you that black is black, just learn from the collective experience. Don't get stroppy and insist that back is white, because it will all end in tears. It has before...

I've definitely noticed that pump out vs cassette is a hotly debated topic! Throw composting into the mix and it's all a bit much!

I'm not adverse to running the ngine a few hours a day but I wouldn't want to have it on too much. I'll definitely be investing in solar panels once I get a boat if that makes any difference.

Liveaboards and CCers are better qualified to answer that question than I, but I;d imagine the answer is 'not really'. Unless you plan to run the engine a lot of the time (and in winter too). If the engine is running you should also get 'free' hot water; if not, you will pay for it via gas/diesel heater or a mains immersion heater when hooked up.

High electrical demand equipment includes TV, washing machine, hair dryer etc, but the power demands of phones are insignificant. Modern laptops are much less hungry than they used to be, but for example, mine draws 1.3A on a mains adaptor so it's around a third of a hair dryer!

Hi everyone,

Hi Bobcat

Reading through the posts it seems that you'll probably just get away with 3 batteries although personally I would add at least 1 more. I would strongly advise though to use a small amount of your budget to apply some solar panels for battery charging or look out for a boat with solar already fitted.

I shall budget in enough for extra batteries, solar etc.

It seems like maybe my max price for the actual boat is more like £20,000 after fees and everything else has been added in. Hopefully, I'll be going to visit Whilton and Braunston Marina this weekend, atlhough Braunston doesnt have anything that really falls within my budget.

Thanks for your responses!

I've accepted that our boat will definitely be a little rough round the edges but my boyfriend and I are happy to get our hands dirty and do a bit of DIY (within reason). A survey definitely sounds like a must, I couldnt imagine taking the risk of buying without one. What I'm most worried about is figuring out how well a boat is really setup; ie electrics, condensation, insulation, heating etc.

I've found this boat at Whilton Marina, to a me it seems like good deal but I'm sure I've overlooked a number of things. Whilton Marina don't seem to have a good rep around here either, so I'm a bit worried they'll see newbie coming a mile away and act accordingly.

http://www.whiltonmarina.co.uk/used-narrowboats/details/2888.aspx

A word of warning.

One thing you can be certain of, is Whilton do not sell 'bargain boats'. Everything they sell is 'fully priced' to put it politely. Their target market is people who are new to boating and don't really understand the market yet, and think a big brokerage is a good place to buy because they offer some security and can can be trusted.

Their company ethos is much the same as your local estate agent. 'Do and say whatever it takes to get the sale'. Take care and be streetwise is my advice if you darken their doors.

Just writing from personal experience.

MtB

(Spilling edit!)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Hi Boatcat and welcome to the madhouse, Whoever is right about Wilton (myself I have no idea) still go and look. The more boats you look at and the more questions you ask, the better the "feel" you will get for what is going on. If you see something you like the look of then ask for feedback on the forum, there are some on here who really have their finger on the pulse concerning boat value.(and the rest of us will chuck in our threeha'pence worth as well)

I'm surprised the topic got as far as post #17 before solar panels got mentioned. There will be people on here who know more than me about it, and I hope they'll feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the consensus seems to be that particularly if you're going to live aboard they're a very good cost-effective idea. You might want to start small and add more later when you can afford it, bearing in mind that there is reason to think they may get cheaper to buy in future.

I've also seen it said that the chances of getting value for money buying a boat, as indeed with a lot of things, improve a bit the further away from London you look. As boats are fairly easily moved about, I'm not sure how true this will be. If and when I buy a boat, I'd be open to the idea of buying up north and taking my time moving it to wherever I was going.

I'm surprised the topic got as far as post #17 before solar panels got mentioned. There will be people on here who know more than me about it, and I hope they'll feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the consensus seems to be that particularly if you're going to live aboard they're a very good cost-effective idea. You might want to start small and add more later when you can afford it, bearing in mind that there is reason to think they may get cheaper to buy in future.

I've also seen it said that the chances of getting value for money buying a boat, as indeed with a lot of things, improve a bit the further away from London you look. As boats are fairly easily moved about, I'm not sure how true this will be. If and when I buy a boat, I'd be open to the idea of buying up north and taking my time moving it to wherever I was going.

I was a bit too LOL

Absolutely

In fact for anyone living aboard and off grid it really is a no brainer unless you cruise enough hours per day to meet your leccy requirements.

I'm just arranging to service the engine even though we've only ran the engine for a total of 176 hours since coming on the water a year ago.but it hasn't been serviced for a year so thought I would do so regardless of hours run, although looking at the engine oil it's still as clear as the day I last serviced it, and engine is running like a dream.