SM Hudson open day

Featured Posts

... Is this weekend, we shall have Telemachus there enjoying the company of like minded members of the Hudson owners clique. Not a real rivet in sight thank god! All welcome to look around the boats in various stages of build + completed ones. You get free tea /coffee / bikkies but have to bring your own butler.

Went to one a few years back. Had a good time, was invited aboard a couple of the boats, enjoyed the hospitality, met Mr. Hudson but he would not build a boat as short as we wanted.

Since then, he HAS built one that length for someone else. I bet THEY brought their butler with them.

• Greenie 1

Two Hudsons passed me at Grendon today, both travelling way too fast, anyone would have thought they were fearful of missing their turn to load, rather than probably going to join the gawping fodder at Glascote. Jaguar, an original FMC motor was on the dock having it's bottom caulked....the difference in line in the bow area is rather significant, why Hudson describes them as Joshers I fail to see. It's a shame, because I once encountered one of his boats on the G U and the lines were much sweeter. I suspect that that the advertising has been successful, but I wouldn't care to own one. Sorry.

Grumpy well wined Dave, hacked off by speeding boaters today.....though I did thank the one courteous soul who passed sensibly....truly, there are souls who don't!!!!

• Greenie 1

Jaguar, an original FMC motor was on the dock having it's bottom caulked....the difference in line in the bow area is rather significant, why Hudson describes them as Joshers I fail to see.

If he did, you would have a valid point but thank god they josher-STYLE (whatever that means) and not a real josher, requiring, as they do, gunge to be inserted into the hull on a regular basis to stop them sinking. Oh and having no significant cabin space, a smokey noisy engine without even satellite tv, central heating and tumble drier. Who on earth would buy a boat like that? The seller "saw them coming"!

Edited by nicknorman

If he did, you would have a valid point but thank god they josher-STYLE (whatever that means) and not a real josher, requiring, as they do, gunge to be inserted into the hull on a regular basis to stop them sinking. Oh and having no significant cabin space, a smokey noisy engine without even satellite tv, central heating and tumble drier. Who on earth would buy a boat like that? The seller "saw them coming"!

You took the bait Nick......

Well to be honest I thought, and still think, that it was not said as bait, knowing the poster as we do. But anyway, it's all good fun.

Fairy nuff...enjoy.

Dave, thanks for that, i work to a standard that I hope continues over the years. I currently look at hulls from all ages in for all sorts of works, I also look around marinas for folks looking at boats..

Hudsons are mass produced hull shapes, not very well primed on first build, and then shoddily detail painted on end product.

I have seen more than a few now with major potential corrosion issues after less than five years.

The fact that they don't weld washers below the waterline (sorry rivets) is probably a saving grace.

• Greenie 1

I don't josh on the forums, only offer opinions or, more often , positive comments or advice if I can help. I started with ex working boats, then some real ones, in the 60s, and have spent much of my life around them. To see a young man caulking the bottoms of Jaguar, first rolling the oakum on a sack across his thighs, before crawling underneath to hammer them home, is a timeless sight, common in the days of wooden working boats but seldom seen today. It was this sense of tradition that drew me to boats as a teenager and I still uphold the ethos of those days, inspired by Rolt's " narrowboat" though I accept that he was probably wearing Rose tinted specs for at least some of his writing time.

The majority of modern boaters, Hudson owners included, will find the mindset totally incomprehensible, in exactly the same way as I regard speeding boaters and the over specced modern floating cottage, complete with all mod cons.....I'm happy to take laundry home and I can survive without the internet for a few days. Seriously, I deplore the over signed, regulated canals that seem to be the norm. Although I still enjoy boating, I can see a time in the future when I will step away and leave the cut to those whose ideas differ, a mindset shared by many of my contemporaries from the old days.....as my friend and master boatbuilder, Graham Edgson, has said...." Kid....they do' know " He's right!

Thanks

Dave

Each to their own of course Dave. Some folk like vintage cars, personally I just want a car that goes (fast), and has a few comforts. Some folk like to live in a back cabin without any home comforts, that is fine but totally unsuitable for my 6'41/2" frame and penchant for gadgets. What would be a mistake would be to despise someone who has different tastes and priorities from oneself, or to presume that things were always better in the olden days. Gentle teasing is of course fine!

Edited by nicknorman

Don't worry, he's probably had lots of greenies from the several previous times he's made the identical point eg:http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=62431&p=1195617

Well, it seems a shame to use it only once. I feel it's quite apt.

To be fair, we're all just making the same points again and again, and regardless of what I say I'd still happily share a lock or a beer with anyone who owns a Hudson, as I would with the owners of any other kind of boat.

Edited by FadeToScarlet

Well, it seems a shame to use it only once. I feel it's quite apt.

To be fair, we're all just making the same points again and again, and regardless of what I say I'd still happily share a lock or a beer with anyone who owns a Hudson, as I would with the owners of any other kind of boat.

Obviously when I started this thread I knew where it would go, but the degree of Hudson hatred never fails to amaze and amuse me. Regardless, he sells more boats than just about any other builder, we daily get praise for the look of the boat from joe public and "normal" boaters, so he must be doing something right. It just goes to show how unrepresentative of the "real world" this forum is. Edited by nicknorman

I don't josh on the forums, only offer opinions or, more often , positive comments or advice if I can help. I started with ex working boats, then some real ones, in the 60s, and have spent much of my life around them. To see a young man caulking the bottoms of Jaguar, first rolling the oakum on a sack across his thighs, before crawling underneath to hammer them home, is a timeless sight, common in the days of wooden working boats but seldom seen today. It was this sense of tradition that drew me to boats as a teenager and I still uphold the ethos of those days, inspired by Rolt's " narrowboat" though I accept that he was probably wearing Rose tinted specs for at least some of his writing time.

The majority of modern boaters, Hudson owners included, will find the mindset totally incomprehensible, in exactly the same way as I regard speeding boaters and the over specced modern floating cottage, complete with all mod cons.....I'm happy to take laundry home and I can survive without the internet for a few days. Seriously, I deplore the over signed, regulated canals that seem to be the norm. Although I still enjoy boating, I can see a time in the future when I will step away and leave the cut to those whose ideas differ, a mindset shared by many of my contemporaries from the old days.....as my friend and master boatbuilder, Graham Edgson, has said...." Kid....they do' know " He's right!

Thanks

Dave

The issue Dave however is that thankfully the boating community is diverse, we all like different styles of boat and boat build. Yes the canals have a long history and a history that I take an interest in, however times move on and thankfully 'inverted snobbery' which would seem to be saying 'only old and traditional' boats have a place on the cut have long since gone. Not everybody is in awe of somebodies big old 'Woolwich' any more than not every body is in awe of somebodies very shiny new boat.

Fair play to those that want to keep the old 'classic cars of the cut' running but times move on and there is a place for modern versions too.

Not everybody is in awe of somebodies big old 'Woolwich' any more than not every body is in awe of somebodies very shiny new boat.

Fair play to those that want to keep the old 'classic cars of the cut' running but times move on and there is a place for modern versions too.

That's not a bad shout. I love looking at the older open boats - a thing to behold but I do ask myself what on earth would someone actually want one for! (unless it's being used for work).

As regards Hudsons, I like looking at those too - they are mainly, very striking in appearance. But the most satisfaction re Hudsons is having a poke at the owners in here for a bit of banter. I guess I've spoken to over a dozen Hudson owners and every one of them has been friendly and decent.

I must say however, a couple of vintage type boat peoples I've encountered have been up their own jacksies.

Edited by mark99