Anyone panic over leaving boat for first time?

Hanzbebe

Featured Posts

Hey all,

Brought my boat yesterday and managed to stay on it last night and was amazing being on the canal and the darkness and the tranquility sleeping in a semi-rural area - never like it!

However me and the boyfriend are unable to stay on it tonight (boo hoo)

so I'm a bit of a worrier (been told I should become less of one once I have lived on board for a while and got used to the life style - as just leisure for now until move onboard early next year - YAY) and so I am worrying about leaving it overnight for first time

Got so many questions going through my head - like what if we didn't moor it secure enough on the towpath (even though it lasted all last night)

What if youths untie the ropes and it goes floating off (semi rural - so usual footfall is people who want to walk/ bike down canal)

What if the battery runs out (even though there are solar panels)

What if this, what if that, etc

I assume it gets easier as you start to leave it - anyone else feel the same the first time they left their boat?

I'd like to know I'm not alone - please say I'm not LOL

Let's be positive about this: well done on buying your first boat! Tell us all about this craft! Did you go for the 52-footer with the Fiesta engine, which you asked about a couple of weeks ago? Did you get the price down to your satisfaction?

Ours is left all on its own for weeks at a time and it's still there. Well, it was last time we visited it. In 17 years of narrowboat ownership we have had one minor break-in, in which nothing was taken.

Edited by Athy

It's something I always worry about to be honest.

During the winter I was moored in Lapworth and every night, as I walked the 1/4 mile from bridge to boat, I'd wonder

1. Is the boat still there

2. Is the boat still floating

3. Has anyone broken in to the boat.

The trouble was it was so dark there, that with my torch, it wasn't until you were within 20ft of the boat that the outline became visible.

I worry less about it being sunk now the stern tube seal has been replaced, and have been known to forget to lock the doors, so clearly feel less worried about theft.

Oh and I now always choose somewhere with pillings, away from popular spots, so it's always been where I left it, so far.

I'm fairly certain I had fuel stolen when I was moored near Offchurch (February ish). However, as I hadn't checked the level for a month at the time, there's no way to prove it one way or the other.

Good luck with your new boat. Despite a few challenges, it's a damn good way to live.

Rob

She is an olden - 1974 but she runs great - surveys all up to scratch - hull is sound - traditional features - ability to make it our own - made by Harborough - we like it and I love the character of the boat ( I know people say avoid a old boat - but if it all checks out - then we were happy)

She is a cruiser stern - and love the fact - no engine room as more space - infact she has lots of room in for a 50 footer

Feels more spacious than some of the bigger boats I looked at - anyway I'm happy so that is all that counts :)

And also because we got a older one - we saved some money so have ability to get the car - other half wants

At the end of the day -the dogs love it - I love it and already after just 1 night - I want to be on it indefinitely

Infact - travelled to work from mooring today which took about 55 minutes and just being in a busy populated area - I feel more claustrophobic than I did on the boat!

I'm also of a nervous/worrying disposition. We moved on the middle of February and haven't spent a night away from the boat since. I'd be worried about leaving it, which in reality is quite silly. It never bothered me at all to leave our bricks and mortar for a couple of weeks at a time so really what's the difference.

Just to say I have empathy for you, but do believe it's down to our worrying nature and nothing else :)

The time will fly by and next thing you know you'll be living on her full time and enjoying this fabulous life style.

All the best.

It gets better with time and experience as well as learning about the boats habits.

The fist time I left our boat, I must have checked everything ten times, I now only do it 5 times!

Soon as I board our boat my stress levels drop off and I get that chilled out happy mood which usually involves lots of reading and snoozing and walking.

My worst habit is wondering if that passing boat is really on tick over.

Time is great to build confidence, well done and enjoy!

>>I assume it gets easier as you start to leave it - anyone else feel the same the first time they left their boat?

I'd like to know I'm not alone - please say I'm not LOL<<

It's not just you, we all have our little moments of panic.

Securing the boat from intruders is just a matter of remembering to lock up, methodically (check key in pocket before fastening padlock!). Break-ins are, however, very rare.

Mooring properly is a matter of practice. I thoroughly recommend mooring up to the Armco-type pilings using those special hooks -- we call them nappy pins because of the passing resemblance. Learn a couple of knots and never, ever, attempt to use a clove hitch on board!

Cutting a boat free might seem to be a wizard prank but if you're a victim (again, very rare) it's not going to be the end of the world on a canal with no flow.

Yeah Betty - I'm too much of a worrier I think :)

I think the boat will be okay - just counting down to the end of Feb when I can be on it full time

The boat will gradually move closer to where we currently live - so won't be as worried when can check on it easier when it is nearer.

But at least it's 7 months and not years to wait!

If its not new then you can use the thought "its not sunk in its past x years of life so there's no reason for it to suddenly sink now".

That's a very good point!

Great stuff! So you have got what I call a Harborough Banana Boat because of that big, upswept curved prow? I have never owned one but they look full of character.

Yeah - I like the Banana Boat look :)

It gets better with time and experience as well as learning about the boats habits.

The fist time I left our boat, I must have checked everything ten times, I now only do it 5 times!

Soon as I board our boat my stress levels drop off and I get that chilled out happy mood which usually involves lots of reading and snoozing and walking.

My worst habit is wondering if that passing boat is really on tick over.

Time is great to build confidence, well done and enjoy!

Definitely :)

As far as the batteries are concerned I all ways switch the master switches off when I leave the boat. The Bilge pump and the solar panels bypass these switches.

And turn the gas off at the cylinder.

And if there's any risk of it freezing and you haven't properly winterised the boat, then at least turn the water off at the tank as well, so if you do get a burst pipe at least you won't empty a whole tankful of water across the floor/bilges.

I've never worried about leaving our boat, probably because it wasn't an issue when I started boating, this was long ago before the advent of signage, visitor moorings etc, back in the day you tied up and went home. I can, however, understand the angst felt in different times by newbies.

It may well help to compile a " Leaving List" of everything needed to be turned off, locked, put inside etc, at least until it becomes second nature. Good luck, enjoy your boating, and try not to worry. Unpleasant things do happen, it's true , but very rarely!

Cheers

Dave

The only thing to 'worry' about really is the Morco (or other named) instantaneous water heater, and that should only be as winter approaches.

Have you got one ?

Normally in the kitchen. If you turn on the hot tap, it will 'roar' as the water flows over the gas flames.

If you have - learn how to drain it completely down, and then drain it every time you leave the boat.

It just takes the slighest breathe by Jack Frost to freeze these up, then the water controller will burst and you have problems.

We had a "Vaillant" brand water heater, it took less than 2 minutes to drain down our system.

Turn off main stop tap

Run water pump until no water comes out of taps.

Switch off water pump

Leave all taps open, drop shower hose into a bowl on the floor.

On the water heater, remove the temperature control knob (or drain plug if it has one) by unscrewing it all the way out.

Put a dish under the water heater

Close all taps except the kitchen hot tap

Put your mouth around the hot tap in the kitchen, blow hard, and harder, and harder, all of the water will flow out of the boiler and into the dish.

Empty dish, put under the boiler to catch the drips. Put the temperature control knob/drain plug in the dish.

If you want to blow-out the cold as well simply do the same but close the hot taps and let the water come out of the shower head.

Open all taps and depart the boat.

When returning to the boat, close all taps, screw in water heater control knob/drain plug, turn on stop tap, switch on pump. When pump stops open a hot tap to allow the system to fill the water heater, Turn off all taps.

Light water heater gas

Turn on a hot tap - water heater fires up and you have hot water.

Just in case you missed it - the water heater will freeze up with the slightest chill in the air (slight exaggeration)

Learn how to bleed the system now - dont wait until its too late.

The only thing to 'worry' about really is the Morco (or other named) instantaneous water heater, and that should only be as winter approaches.

Have you got one ?

Normally in the kitchen. If you turn on the hot tap, it will 'roar' as the water flows over the gas flames.

If you have - learn how to drain it completely down, and then drain it every time you leave the boat.

It just takes the slighest breathe by Jack Frost to freeze these up, then the water controller will burst and you have problems.

We had a "Vaillant" brand water heater, it took less than 2 minutes to drain down our system.

Turn off main stop tap

Run water pump until no water comes out of taps.

Switch off water pump

Leave all taps open, drop shower hose into a bowl on the floor.

On the water heater, remove the temperature control knob (or drain plug if it has one) by unscrewing it all the way out.

Put a dish under the water heater

Close all taps except the kitchen hot tap

Put your mouth around the hot tap in the kitchen, blow hard, and harder, and harder, all of the water will flow out of the boiler and into the dish.

Empty dish, put under the boiler to catch the drips. Put the temperature control knob/drain plug in the dish.

If you want to blow-out the cold as well simply do the same but close the hot taps and let the water come out of the shower head.

Open all taps and depart the boat.

When returning to the boat, close all taps, screw in water heater control knob/drain plug, turn on stop tap, switch on pump. When pump stops open a hot tap to allow the system to fill the water heater, Turn off all taps.

Light water heater gas

Turn on a hot tap - water heater fires up and you have hot water.

Just in case you missed it - the water heater will freeze up with the slightest chill in the air (slight exaggeration)

Learn how to bleed the system now - dont wait until its too late.

So leave the water heater as it is then Alan! Got it :)

We have frost protection through the Webasto diesel heater and remote switch on for it, uses fuel, yes bit gives us more piece of mind

Not if your batteries are flat and the solar panels wont do much with half an inch of snow on them if you leave the boat for a week on the towing path.

Not if your batteries are flat and the solar panels wont do much with half an inch of snow on them if you leave the boat for a week on the towing path.

I was thinking that too.

Once the batteries are flat, the webby is just ballast, remote switching or not.

MtB

So you drain the water heater every day or just when you leave boat for a few days? During all weather or just winter? Sorry if it's a dumb question!

If you dont know the answer, then no question is 'dumb'

No problem during the warmer weather (after and before the frosts)

If you are on board the temperature will be high enough to stop the freezing.

If you are leaving the oat for a couple of days and the forecast is for no frost, then no problem.

If leaving the boat for a few days,in the winter or early spring then drain the boat down if there is the slightst possibility of frost.

If leaving the boat in the 'depths of winter' drain it down.

The instantaneous water heaters are (as far as frost is concerned) the real weak point on boats. They are mounted high-up and even an 'air-frost' can damage them, the rest of the plumbing system is mostly below the water line and is much more frost-resistant.

I may be a little paranoid about this, but having had two freeze-ups and the problems (and costs) it causes I would rather take a few minutes to make sure it doesnt happen.

If you dont have this type of water heater then its not a concern.

Accepted, my mooring is marina based with shoreline connected, different situation entirely. If I was towpath based, and given I am a bit of a tech geek, I would use remote monitoring kit, thankfully, I am not towpath based.