Boating representation

Hawkmoth

Featured Posts

I've just been over on the dark side (don't shoot me) and see they are,quite rightly I think, having moan about lack of boater representation to a Parliamentary committee.

Any comments from the wiser among us?

Bob

I don't think it is a Parliamentary committee it is an All Party Group it has been discussed quite a bit on Facebook since early in the week and I know NABO, ACC and RBOA have been in contact with them where NBW are wrong is having a go at Richard Parry as he as no say in who attends. They do not meet very often and last time they met boaters were represented by I WA and as no one objected then I presume they just went for more of the same plus a canoeist

Email the chairman, Tony Baldry and the Waterways Minister, Dan Rogerson like I have and complain.

Yes a lot have done this and the more the better Edited by cotswoldsman

I suggest that CRT are spending too much money on consultation and too little on maintenance.

How many people remember the times when Blisworth and Harecastle Tunnels were closed for ages and when every year you had to ring Canalphone to find out about the restrictions in operating times of many locks because of water shortage.

What we have is far from perfect but the more money that is spent on consultation, handling FOI requests and dealing with selfish people who don't comply with rules, the less will be available to maintain the waterways.

Which is more important – spending more on maintenance or on consultation?

I don't think it is a Parliamentary committee it is an All Party Group it has been discussed quite a bit on Facebook since early in the week and I know NABO, ACC and RBOA have been in contact with them where NBW are wrong is having a go at Richard Parry as he as no say in who attends. They do not meet very often and last time they met boaters were represented by I WA and as no one objected then I presume they just went for more of the same plus a canoeist Yes a lot have done this and the more the better[/

The public can attend these meetings but not speak , NABO was at the last one, statements are taken , nodded through, no discussion. If you want to make an impact I suggest you email the chair with a point you wish to make relevant to the agenda. They very rarely get comments I understand so if they get several it will have an impact.

Email the chairman, Tony Baldry and the Waterways Minister, Dan Rogerson like I have and complain.

Thanks for that, I will.

I don't think it is a Parliamentary committee it is an All Party Group it has been discussed quite a bit on Facebook since early in the week and I know NABO, ACC and RBOA have been in contact with them where NBW are wrong is having a go at Richard Parry as he as no say in who attends. They do not meet very often and last time they met boaters were represented by I WA and as no one objected then I presume they just went for more of the same plus a canoeist

Yes a lot have done this and the more the better

And thanks for that as well. I couldn't believe that NBW had got it all right.

Bob

BALDRY Sir Tony <tony.baldry.mp@parliament.uk>, BENYON Richard <benyonr@parliament.uk>, BERKELEY Lord <berkeleyafg@parliament.uk>, BOORA Sukhcharn <sukhcharn.boora@parliament.uk>, BRADSHAW Lord <contactholmember@parliament.uk>, BRUCE Fiona <fiona.bruce.mp@parliament.uk>, DANCZUK Simon <simon.danczuk.mp@parliament.uk>, ESTERSON Bill <bill.esterson.mp@parliament.uk>, GARNIER Mark <garniere@parliament.uk>, GERMAN Lord <contactholmember@parliament>, GRAHAM Lord <contactholmember@parliament>, HEYES David <heyesd@parliament.uk>, HUNT Tristram <tristram.hunt.mp@parliament.uk>, IRRANCA-DAVIES Huw <irrancadaviesh@parliament.uk>, KNIGHT Lord <KNIGHTJA@parliament.uk>, MCCABE Steve <mccabes@parliament.uk>, MILLER Andrew <millera@parliament.uk>, STEPHENSON Andrew <andrew.stephenson.mp@parliament.uk>, WHEELER Heather <heather.wheeler.mp@parliament.uk>, WILLIAMS Roger <info@rogerwilliams.org.uk>, WILLIAMSON Gavin <gavin.williamson.mp@parliament.uk>

I suggest that CRT are spending too much money on consultation and too little on maintenance.

This particular meeting isn't a consultation, it's an inquiry into CRT's progress, and it's not being held by CRT, it's by the All Party Parliamentary Waterways Group. Apart from sending along a few people to give evidence, CRT won't be spending any money on it.

This particular meeting isn't a consultation, it's an inquiry into CRT's progress, and it's not being held by CRT, it's by the All Party Parliamentary Waterways Group. Apart from sending along a few people to give evidence, CRT won't be spending any money on it.

I'm probably thinking back to the days when anyone could attend PWG meetings and ask questions, provided that the secretary had received them in advance.

But my point remains that I would rather see more money spent on maintenance. Sorry that I chose the wrong place to post my views.

Here is the meat of a reply I received to my email about the lack of boater representation.

Bob

Thank you for your email.

I fully appreciate that there are a number of organisations with an interest in the waterways. However, given that we are limited to two hours on Monday, I am sure you will appreciate that it was difficult to accommodate every organisation within that timeframe.

It goes without saying that we would welcome written evidence from interested organisations which we will of course consider alongside the oral evidence given at Monday's session.

I understand the deadline for written evidence is Monday 28 July after which the APPG will begin to compile its report. Any written submissions should be sent to James Yearsley, the APPG secretariat at james@shawbp.co.uk.

Best wishes,

Tony Baldry