Hillmorton to Manchester

junior

Featured Posts

I asked this question in my cruise diary last week but didn't get any joy, so I thought I'd give it a go in here as it's own thread, plus it is kind of going to be my summer holiday.

Next week I'll be setting off from Barby Heading for Bedford Basin on the Bridgewater Canal (I think). I'm also aiming to get to Castlefield Basin so I'm not sure which will come first.

From looking in the Nicholsons it seems I have two options.

A) North Oxford - Coventry Canal - Trent & Mersey

B) Trent & Mersey - Staffs & Worcs - Shropshire Union

Having never been North of where I am now and not knowing those canals, can anyone advise me on which might be the best route (although I understand that will be a matter of opinion).

I'll be single handing, I like to do long ish days and I like to have a good mix or rural/urban, or if not urban at least somewhere I can walk to a shop and get fresh bread etc. I'm not too fussed about pubs. Also my decision will not be based on how many locks there are on each option as I enjoy doing locks quickly and efficiently.

Can anyone recommend things to do along the way? My girlfriend will be joining me for the odd day here and there and although she likes the boat, I don't think she is up for days and days of nothingness.

Although I won't be hanging around, I don't want to rush. I'd like to get on the Weaver and see how my boat goes with water under it in preparation for the Thames next year. I don't mind coming back the same way as it will be full steam ahead for the return journey as I'm aiming for a winter mooring in London.

Thanks in advance.

Coventry, T&M, Tixall Wide (with girlfriend overnight stay...)!!Staffs and Worcs, Shroppie, my chosen route. Plenty of good moorings.

Once you get past Stafford, the train connections get a bit woolly and may involve bus journeys as well for return to work trips.

The alternative it to go straight up the T&M, through (spit) stoke(I too have bad footballing memories), enjoy harecastle and then heartbreak flight, past middlewich and timleech territory (preston brook)onto the bridgewater.

If going that way, I would probably go through harecastle, and then switch to the macclesfield/peak forest route (wonderful scenery and good chip/pie shops) and the long way round.

I thought you did get some replies....

haggis

I just went back and had a look, there were a few replies but the only one having any input into my route choices was yours, and thank you. Your suggestion seemed quite adventurous and it was hard to gauge flicking from page to page in the Nicholsons how long it would take.

A few more suggestions and some advice from the locals won't do any harm.

If you don't want/have time to do any side trips apart form the weaver, why not go up the Trent and Mersey and back down the Shroppie and if you don't have time to go back through Birmingham, rejoin the T & M by using the Staffs and Worcester. Both the T & M and the Shroppie have their own attractions and it would be a shame to come back the way you go up and miss one of them. If I was in your position of not knowing the area, I would buy a big canal map which has distances and numbers of locks marked on it and then you will be able to work out what is feasible in the time you have available. I know someone suggested going up the Macclesfield and down the Ashton to get to Manchester and this is another interesting route but again, only you know what time you have available and whether you can fit this in.

Or you could use canal planner or similar but if you don't know what is available (from a big canal map) this might not be your best starting place.

haggis

If I was going that way I would head to Fradley Junction then straight up the T & M to Preston Brook, which would take in Harecastle and Heartbreak Hill. Then round the Bridgewater. Once you know how long you have to get back to London you could then look at the options for the return, either round the Macclesfield or back to Anderson and on to the Weaver. Also you could come back via the Middlewich branch and down the Shroppie through Nantwich, Audlem etc.

Ah I hadn't thought of that. This will be my first experience of school summer holidays afloat having bought my boat in September last year.

It seems there is an even'ish range of views as to which route I should take, with nobody saying 'avoid at all costs' regarding one or the other. So what I may do is go out one way and return the other.

it was hard to gauge flicking from page to page in the Nicholsons how long it would take.

You've probably been steered in this direction before, but in case not, try

its quite easy to use, and I like the bit where you can set up your own profile to, for example, just give you how many hours cruising. Also, in the 'editor' bit, its easy to input places you want to call in, so it works out the whole route.

Anyway, I like it, but then I'm easily pleased!

eta - screwed that one up!!

site is

http://canalplan.org.uk/

Edited by Mike Tee

You've probably been steered in this direction before, but in case not, try

its quite easy to use, and I like the bit where you can set up your own profile to, for example, just give you how many hours cruising. Also, in the 'editor' bit, its easy to input places you want to call in, so it works out the whole route.

Anyway, I like it, but then I'm easily pleased!

eta - screwed that one up!!

site is

http://canalplan.org.uk/

I've tried it quite a few times and don't really get it. I'm much more comfortable with my Nicholsons. Plus I don't have a computer and canal plan is hard work on a phone.

I'd try and avoid the Shroppie during the school holidays, stories of waiting for hours at each lock would put me off.

K

Thought that was more of a problem on the Llangollen than the Shroppie? I know the latter is a busy canal most of the year but whenever I've seen it in busier times it's been a steady, constant flow rather than long queues for locks. Having said that I can imagine having to queue for Hack Green locks.

Hey posters isn't the Ashton closed with some lock damaged ?

if taking time do the Shroppie first then push on down the t&m when returning .

Brilliant moorings in Castlefield free metro bus todo city and for the girlfriend buses to the Trafford centre whilst you go watch MUFC.

Anderton lift and Weaver excellent. Try Barton swing aquaduct too I once crossed then it opened for a ship.

Bothe T&M and Shroppie have their merits. T&M perhaps has more variety and an interesting tunnel, but better shopping and transport links. The Shroppie is very rural, very pleasant but not the best for shopping and public transport links. Being later than the T&M it also has long straight stretches and the "shelf" which makes mooring away from VMs problematical (wheel fenders required).

As to congestion, I suspect the locks on the Middlewich branch are the most prone to queues but there is usually plenty of evening time when they are virtually unused.

It would certainly seems sensible to me to go up one way and back the other, but I don't think it matters which way round. The T&M route is the faster if coming up the Coventry etc.

Also just to mention that the T&M's locks are notable for very strong forward pull when going uphill, compared to say the BCN or Coventry's locks

Hey posters isn't the Ashton closed with some lock damaged ?

if taking time do the Shroppie first then push on down the t&m when returning .

Brilliant moorings in Castlefield free metro bus todo city and for the girlfriend buses to the Trafford centre whilst you go watch MUFC.

Anderton lift and Weaver excellent. Try Barton swing aquaduct too I once crossed then it opened for a ship.

They are starting to replace the gates this weekend and expect if all goes well to be open again by the 27th July.

If your going that way around that time they have requested boaters contact Red Bull

http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/1285/lock-1-18

We came up from Atherstone to Manchester the week before Easter via the T&M and even with a day at Drayton Manor Park (slight detour onto the B&F) with the children and half a day at Waterworld at Stoke we had plenty of time with an extended week with the Bank holiday weekend. Coming down Cheshire locks is a doddle compared with going uphill so if going back via different route I would definetly use the T&M going north and the Shroppie south. It's only half an hour from Waters Meeting where the Worsley line leaves the Manchester line so a trip into Castlefield is well worth it.

If you like a pint there are good pubs in Stone, the Blue Bell at Kidsgrove is very good. Middlewich is good for pubs and shopping as is Stone. Lymm is a good stop before Manchester 3 1/2 hours to Castlefield

Say hello to Paul for me when you get to Bedford

Edited by captain birdseye