Cat problem

Stevethetrain

Featured Posts

At a guess I'd say the one doing the peeing is an un-neutured male and being brought into a strange enviroment is now marking his territory. Knowing this can be a problem (also with some dogs) we have always had all our cats and dogs of both sexes neututered

Phil

Cats are perfectly happy on boats as long as they can go ashore and return as they please - we know that ours gets anxious when we have to keep him in and I guess this sort of anxiety could lead to an anti-social protest. Having said that, I guess that having more than one litter tray is essential if there is more than one cat.

If the cat isn't neutered/spayed it's likely the problem.

However be very careful this isn't a urinal tract problem, this can occur if cats are under stress, and in new surroundings cats can get stressed. If it is a urinal problem it will require urgent and immediate treatment.

Both our cat's are on a special diet due to this promlem which seems to have stopped any recourance of the problem.

Sounds to me as though you're not letting them out to roam the bank yet. Fitting a cat flap and getting them 'bank-trained' may well fix it.

It's very unkind to keep a cat permanently inside in my opinion. Especially three together, should this be how you are keeping them. It isn't clear from your post.

MtB

I had my cats neutered early on to avoid trouble. The back door is always open so they can come and go as they please. I have a residential mooring so Im going to try and encourage them to go outside and do their business like they used to. I hope it's not medical.

I had my cats neutered early on to avoid trouble. The back door is always open so they can come and go as they please. I have a residential mooring so Im going to try and encourage them to go outside and do their business like they used to. I hope it's not medical.

I would get the cat to the vet's urgently as the only explanation for a cat doing this other than marking territory is usually a urinary tract problem.

The tale tale signs are small amounts of urine deposited around the home/boat

The can can be lethargic and sleep a lot, although they're all like this in the summer anyway.

You can check if they have a problem by very gently squeasing their stomach area near their back legs. If the cat shows any sign of discomfort due to gentle massage then it's highly likely there's a urinary tract problem. If so you must get the cat to the Vet immediately. Cat's can die from this problem and rarely live more than a week should the urethra become completely obstructed and left untreated, will result in a painful death.

https://www.petfinder.com/cats/cat-health/cat-urinary-tract-infections-symptoms-diagnosis-prognosis-and-treatment/

Edited by Julynian

It may be medical or stress - I would confirm not medical by visiting a Vet...

This link may help...

http://www.bluecross.org.uk/1960-2768/spraying-and-soiling-indoors.html

I would go with the medical or stress. I know two cats which started doing this when they lost the other cat out of the household (not that I am suggesting there has been a loss here).