Sailor cap ?

Dream On

Featured Posts

Camembert & Crackers !!!!! rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifbiggrin.pngcheers.gif

Traditionally, narrowboaters wore what kind of cap or hat?

I do not think Aldi or Lidle existed in the last century biggrin.png

Sure Aldi and Lidl did exist in the last century, we're only 14 years in the new century captain.gif this smiley has a good hat.

Peter.

The latest issue of the Historic Narrow Boat Club magazine carried a poem written by Keith Staley. I think it fits this thread well!

Nice poem, it's true.
I had fun reading your answers and I was a little surprised by all.
A little surprised because I wear hats, caps or hats for years, like many people who work outdoors. I do not see the cap as a luxury or fashion item but as a protection against the rain or sun.
Obviously, I will not buy an admiral white cap or a Soviet hat captain.gif . However, I thank those who recommended me some models.
I just thought that the British sailors and navigators had their French counterparts as a traditional hat.
For sailors and fishermen french, this is the model:
Casquette_1211_Cap_Marine.jpg
Driving a boat British construction, I find it nice to wear a cap that would remind it. Rather than choosing a cowboy hat or "addidas" cap.
But if there is no traditional model, it solves the problem biggrin.png

I seem to remember you were wearing it on arrival at the Buckby Banter last year - pity I didn't take a photo.

I like the poem Dave.

BTW I wear one of these:

45734959.jpg

This looks like an Andy Capp.

Tillers were reversed when moored on horse boats and butties, mainly to facilitate easy access to and from the cabin and also, according to Tom Rolt as a sign that they were going no further that day.

I spent the 1968 National Rally at Stanley Dock, Liverpool, on the Clayton Gas boat Tay, with owner Tony Phillips. We were lucky to have Joe and Rose moored alongside next to us and I vividly remember his soft spoken entreaty to Rose...

" Rose, Rose,....put the kettle orn, Rose!"

Happy days!!

Tillers were reversed when moored on horse boats and butties, mainly to facilitate easy access to and from the cabin and also, according to Tom Rolt as a sign that they were going no further that day.

No, I'm sure it was like that because they were very tall in those days.

I spent the 1968 National Rally at Stanley Dock, Liverpool, on the Clayton Gas boat Tay, with owner Tony Phillips. We were lucky to have Joe and Rose moored alongside next to us and I vividly remember his soft spoken entreaty to Rose...

" Rose, Rose,....put the kettle orn, Rose!"

Happy days!!

I'm reading "Idle Women" by Susan Woolfitt at the moment and she mentions this also.

In a similar manner the tiller was taken off the motor's swan neck when boating was over for the day.

Also she suggests the butty tiller was removed and laid on the butty roof in locks.

Edited by Ray T

I'm reading "Idle Women" by Susan Woolfitt at the moment and she mentions this also.

In a similar manner the tiller was taken off the motor's swan neck when boating was over for the day.

Also she suggests the butty tiller was removed and laid on the butty roof in locks.

Yes, because otherwise the ellum would swing around in the flow, and catch the tiller/ellum on the lock wall.

Well pictures are not easy cos dunno how to load onto post and would need another to take em, unless try wot they called...selfies? Hmm sounds awful dodgy to me any rode i think i looks just great...icecream.gificecream.gificecream.gificecream.gificecream.gif Quite the bees knees----though don't really understand where that comes from. And furthermore when I am wrapped in fleece blanket with sun hat and dark glasses to tackle tunnels theres no finer looking girl in town nor country.