Turner's Wheaton A

Karma Dreams

Featured Posts

Yes but in my own case I pay the extra as I do think Simon and David do add quite a bit to the canals never been convicted Turners do but that like all things is just my choice

Sorry have I missed something?

Yes,

I'm sure you meant convinced!

Sue

Yes but in my own case I pay the extra as I do think Simon and David do add quite a bit to the canals never been convicted Turners do but that like all things is just my choice

I had the boat blacked at Norbury some years ago and while the boat was out of the water I had the bottom bearing on the rudder stock replaced. It took less than an hour and the charge was £125.00, because it was a standard charge. As I had previously enquired the hourly rate for extra work and was told £35.00. I complained and eventually got £25.00 refunded. At the time I had other problems to think about and couldn't be bothered to pursue it further.

I think Simon adds quite a bit to Simon's bank account but not so sure about the canals.

I've found turners also stock all sorts of odd mechanical bits that might well get you out of a hole if needed. Their stores is the sort of place I could happily potter round for ages.

One point to note is that they take debit but not credit cards.

Cheers

Gareth

I had the boat blacked at Norbury some years ago and while the boat was out of the water I had the bottom bearing on the rudder stock replaced. It took less than an hour and the charge was £125.00, because it was a standard charge. As I had previously enquired the hourly rate for extra work and was told £35.00. I complained and eventually got £25.00 refunded. At the time I had other problems to think about and couldn't be bothered to pursue it further. I think Simon adds quite a bit to Simon's bank account but not so sure about the canals.

If it had taken all day to change the bearing the standard charge would be cheap, that's if it still applied !

Sorry, I don't understand the post.

Given you contracted with them to change the bearing for £125, would you still be complaining about being charged £125 for the work if it turned out to have taken eight hours?

MtB

Given you contracted with them to change the bearing for £125, would you still be complaining about being charged £125 for the work if it turned out to have taken eight hours?

MtB

I didn't contract with them to do the work for £125. I expected them to charge the same rate as they charged for replacing a broken hinge and repacking the stern gland. This was £35 per hour for any extra work above and beyond the blacking of the hull.

Prior to the boat getting to Norbury at the appointed time for my blacking slot I phoned them up and ask Simon what the charge was for extra work, that is the hourly rate. I was told £35 and therefore I expected it to be £35 for ALL extra work. They did three jobs at £35 per hour but to remove the bearing and fit a replacement they charged £125 as it was a standard charge. After a few email exchanges he refunded £25.

Would that not have upset you?

I didn't contract with them to do the work for £125. I expected them to charge the same rate as they charged for replacing a broken hinge and repacking the stern gland. This was £35 per hour for any extra work above and beyond the blacking of the hull.

Prior to the boat getting to Norbury at the appointed time for my blacking slot I phoned them up and ask Simon what the charge was for extra work, that is the hourly rate. I was told £35 and therefore I expected it to be £35 for ALL extra work. They did three jobs at £35 per hour but to remove the bearing and fit a replacement they charged £125 as it was a standard charge. After a few email exchanges he refunded £25.

Would that not have upset you?

Ah I see. Yes it would have upset me too!

Your previous post read as though you knewin advance the cost for the work would be £125, and you were complaining that they should have charged you less as it only turned out to take an hour.

MtB

Norbury's price is usually about the same as Turner's. Turners Garage is a pleasant friendly place to go.

I think Norbury is usually a fraction of a penny above Turners. Bear in mind Turners is closed Saturday pm and Sunday, and does not do pump-outs, whereas Norbury does and is open seven days.