downsizing to fit on narrowboat

isatis

Featured Posts

If like us, you do not have a car and plan on cc'ing, a decently stocked 1st aid kit comes in handy. And again like us, if you have a shower and no bath to soak in, some sore muscle rubs like deep heat or deep freeze also come in handy for those heavy labor days :)

I don't think you can ever have enough bungee cords, Velcro or hooks on a boat. They all come in so handy for storing stuff securely in the engine bay, lockers, behind doors

If like us, you do not have a car and plan on cc'ing, a decently stocked 1st aid kit comes in handy.

Sound advice, we have one for us & one for the animals, it pays to be prepared for most eventualities.

Not strictly related to moving onboard, since i stupidly fell in love and remarried, but in the wake of my father's death i went through an odd path of morbidity. I decided to clear out all the rubbish in my life and actually managed to get down to just 5 packing boxes, 2 suitcases and three fishing rods. I told my wife that in the event of my death, the suitcases could go to the charity shop, along with two boxes. Three boxes contained stuff (including tools) that my kids might like, the other two could be taken to the tip.

Although it was driven by odd behaviour, i actually derive a lot of happiness from the fact that in a physical sense, my life is relatively uncluttered.

I have to admit to buying a classic sailing dinghy since then, so i have a bit more than i did a year ago, but still....

I never downsized for the move onto my first narrowboat. I'd just come back from living in Tokyo for 10 years with about 8 boxes of stuff. 6 years later I bought a widebeam and upsized. I've never had so much gear or living space in my life.

Check out my living space and weep! tongue.png

DSC_5934.jpg

Edited by blackrose

clapping.gif Very similar to my situation. Gave her everything but insisted on the toaster, a knife and fork and bits of bedding. So fresh start all round really icecream.gif

Offered her everything (except the boat) and she still wouldn't go...

• Greenie 1

I have down sized recently and just gone through what I kept and I seem to have discarded all knives forks n spoons, it may be that i have rather overdone loosing the past!

I found it really liberating to lose 'stuff' plus it saved me the hassle of emptying a 3 bedroom house. Everything fitted into an MGBGT quite easily. :-)

Well just preparing for tomorrows boot sale with my sorting I have found enough cutlery for the British army I do not think we would ever need all that, dress making patterns need a good going through keeping some as trying to find appropriate clothes for our daughter is not easy,as she is very tall and still young and I like making clothes,we are a crafty sort of family so our boat will need storage for our equipment,but still get rid of stuff,and pack it down.

Well, after 8 years of living onboard here I am sorting through someone elses house of junk for the fourth time! By now I'm very clear that I'm not going to impose my junk on anyone else.

This afternoon, going to the tip to dispose of 200 vhs tapes and 500 floppy disks.

You do not need this stuff! Take it from me!

Have finally got rid of Roj's vinyl collection the last handful went to the skip including one of Rolf Harris's kids records and a few 12 inch singles, thankfully we have been selling the rest over a while and they have bought in a few pennies.Not a bad day all round. Did think about going and looking at the boats at chirk but although I like it there kind of feel a bit like a stalker, being boat less as yet

I remember too well our series of garage sales, each week we would sell a bit more but there was a hardcore half dozen who came every week and asked "How much is this" for the same items and I would reply "the same as last week" they were hoping to get stuff for next to nowt but I refused to fall for that and had a skip organised for when we left and anything remaining went in it after being given the hammer treatment.

Phil

I never downsized for the move onto my first narrowboat. I'd just come back from living in Tokyo for 10 years with about 8 boxes of stuff. 6 years later I bought a widebeam and upsized. I've never had so much gear or living space in my life.

Check out my living space and weep! :P

DSC_5934.jpg

Thats down right greed. No one needs that much space and luxury.

Me jealous, nah!

Martyn

Check out my living space and weep! tongue.png

DSC_5934.jpg

Nice area Blackrose. Too small a tv and why do you have a radiator AND a big wood burning stove? To big a space to keep warm?

The lounge.

I only need a small heater!!
I'm not jealous really!

• 2 weeks later...

Lol, did this turn into the widebeam appreciation thread? Here's another one for the narrowbeams, no need for an electric radiator.
IMG_20140806_202656.jpg
& from the other angle
IMG_20140806_203443.jpg
The kitchen is big enough for a washing machine, fridge freezer, cooker, big sink, & a double cupboard either side

Which reminds me, I must tidy up that table.

Lol, did this turn into the widebeam appreciation thread? Here's another one for the narrowbeams, no need for an electric radiator.

IMG_20140806_202656.jpg

& from the other angle

IMG_20140806_203443.jpg

The kitchen is big enough for a washing machine, fridge freezer, cooker, big sink, & a double cupboard either side

Which reminds me, I must tidy up that table.

Too much clutter!!