PLEASE HELP Bulldog stolen from Barby area today

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

can people be more careful what they right it can be very upsetting losing a family member

Let's hope he's not lost yet though......he could yet turn up :)

Ed though just reading starry's last post it is looking less likely. :(

Edited by The Dog House

Thanks Martin, I know that as you know my work history, you know me well enough to say that I will be aware of the particularly shady shit and have already considered it.

Sorry for the snapping. I have been up a very long time, and am what the papers call "tired and emotional," but what the Starcoaster calls “damn this gin is good.”

Firstly, thank you everyone for your support, and all the shares and passing the word on.

So we did a lot yesterday in terms of getting word out, lots of re-posts etc., on Facebook, Twitter etc.

The little veterinary clinic I locum in and vets local to the area have all spread the word too.

We joined Dog Lost, Bulldog sites and groups, all sorts.

This morning, I got up bloody early (for me) and we turned my boat into the War Room, designing a poster, taking calls, calling kennels, browsing pet classifieds, Gumtree, Craigslist, you name it, for male bulldogs or stud dogs.

Part way through we got a call of a loose Staffy on the towpath at Yelvertoft; wrong breed but right colour, so we raced out to take a punt.

Walked the towpath both ways for ages, spoke to lots of people, two of whom had seen the dog and were sure it was a Staffy, and not the dog in the pic. We didn’t see any dog at all, so came back.

More phoning, searching, posting, enquiries from mates if there was any word etc., telling the fraught and worried sick boy that NO he could not smoke, NO, he could not have more than one sugar in his coffee, and NO, two ice creams and a bounty do not constitute a nutritious breakfast, we had nothing. Got the posters printed off, and the boy went off to put them out everywhere.

Nothing. We are as sure as can be that he was taken in a car, but we have still tried obvious things like asking at every stop within two miles if they have a bitch in heat and had a bulldog hanging around, just to cover the bases.

There has not been a single sighting or clue as to where he has been for over 24 hours now.

We think (based on our own logical deductions, no evidence) that it is likely that Hugo has been taken out of town, either to Coventry or possibly even Birmingham. If he is being sold openly or put to stud, we will find him sooner or later. We are as sure as can be that he is not on a boat.

I am now torn between thinking one of three things:

Some dozy twat just liked the look of him, and took him for a pet.

Junkies or targeting thieves took him to ransom for a reward (this is a thing, Google it)

He might be used for fighting or something else underground where lost dogs disappear from public view into.

Funnily enough, Google didn’t even give me a sponsored ad for “dog fights in your area,” so I have no idea where to start with that one.

**Edit, PS., I have been advised that Hugo is what is known as an "Olde Tyme Bulldog," which accounts for some of his similarities to the American.

Maybe contacting a charity that works in this area might get you some leads of where to look...

Cheers, I have spoken to vets in the area (being "in the trade") but as is the usual case in my experience, either the police bring you a dog and are not permitted to tell you anything, or someone dumps one on you and runs. No one has ever in my history brought in a fighting dog with scars as well as new cuts and tries to pass it off, tbh, but if they were that monumentally stupid, as well as actually concerned for the dog, which is highly unlikely. again it would be police right away, and we hear no more.

The charities are handled in the same way.

Well hopefully that is not the case here and its option 1 or 2 and he will be returned to you shortly.

The internet is a fantastic tool in cases like this, you can appeal far and wide instantly.

Taking someones pet is beyond my understanding :( I really feel for you and your friend and hope you get him home soon.

A friend of mine who lost her Fox Terrier several times, and always got him back, used to put on the lost dog poster a statement to the effectt that "dog is sick and needs meds of he will die."

If someone stole your guy for a pet, this might motivate them to return him and claim the reward. If they stole him to breed him, chances are they will take him to a vet for a check-up. If he is microchipped, that could lead to his return.

Best of luck!!!

Star - my tweet has been retweeted 29 times now, I know in the grand scheme, it's not a lot; but fingers crossed - i have read on the Lab Rescue site I belong too that their Labrador was taken (in similar circumstances), but by doing what you have done, they got him back fairly quickly and of course, his being chipped helps.

Still praying he is returned soon

Star . I had one of my dogs stolen from our

back garden when I was in(!?) He was only a wee pup at the time so

easily carried. It took me 5 days to track him down

and get him back ...it also cost me money in the form of bribes as

I had an inkling where he might be. I know it's not the same situation,

I did think I wouldn't see him again and it made me quite ill

with worry and sadness, I know your friend must be distraught ...

don't lose hope.

We are keeping our fingers and paws crossed for a safe return.

. This is both a bit of an old wife's tell and also not what someone who,s had there dog stolen want to hear , ask yourself this if you were involved in the much hated and slightly illegal sport of dogfighting would you A steal someone's much loved pet and bring the attentions of a nationwide search on yourself or B walk into any dog shelter in the country were 40 percent of abandoned dogs are bull terriers and just claim one without any risk ? As I said before the quickest way to get a stolen dog back is by offering a financial reward .people don't steal for fun it's usually for money

yes its harsh but true, a friend of mine works for a dog charity, they found 50 dogs in a ditch, around half were chipped, of those chipped most had been given away on preloved. Keep an eye on your dog, there are some cruel people out there

This f=king idiot (paganbot) needs removing from the forum quickly judging by his defensive response to criticism and the private message I received earlier today,

If you have nothing positive to add to a thread topic (and especially one as emotive as a lost pet then just shut yourself away and watch you dog baiting video's quietly by yourself.

• Greenie 1

This f=king idiot (paganbot) needs removing from the forum quickly judging by his defensive response to criticism and the private message I received earlier today,

If you have nothing positive to add to a thread topic (and especially one as emotive as a lost pet then just shut yourself away and watch you dog baiting video's quietly by yourself.

The posts on this thread have certainly been extremely insensitive.

Stop sending me PMs and I wont reply then will I?! Little keyboard terrorist

And stop trolling me

Stop sending me PMs and I wont reply then will I?! Little keyboard terroristAnd stop trolling me

The character in your avatar was an utter tosser, why did you choose it?

Whatever.......

My cat and me are keeping our respective paws and fingers crossed for you, and hope you are soon reunited.

Indeed same here.... (Substitute dog for cat though)....

It is not a certainty that Hugo was stolen. Dogs often decide to join me for a walk on the canal towpath. Some dogs see my gangplank as an invitation to board and make friends as did the neighbourhood dogs if I left my front door open in Portsmouth. Some kind soul may have taken Hugo in as a stray. Similarly, I once 'lost' my girlfriend's dog for a few hours; unknown to me the dog was sleeping on the back seat of my car when I closed both the car and garage doors at 10pm. That dog would get into any car with an open door.

Sometimes even the most reliable dog will be fascinated by a 'trail' and end up 'lost' and unable to find their way home. e.g. Ten years ago I lived in a fairly isolated trio of cottages on the South Downs. I found a small, grey, hairy terrier happily trotting up our unmade track. Before I could check the ID disk my neighbour said "That's Sparkler"; owned by a common friend from a farm five miles distant, beyond the A3 dual carriageway, a mainline railway and miles of wild forest.

Dogs do some stupid things; I was instructed to treat my dog as I would a child or, maybe, a teenager if they were particularly bright!

If a small terrier can stray five miles from home, a larger dog could bound over many more miles. Without Sparkler's luck it could take some time before he is found. Hugo may be mooching around some woodland/forest waiting for someone to rescue him. He will find water and some food.

Loss of a dog is painful and I hope he will be returned to his owner soon. No doubt, Hugo will be equally overjoyed to be reunited with his 'family' (pack).

Kind regards, Alan

• Greenie 1

It is not a certainty that Hugo was stolen. Dogs often decide to join me for a walk on the canal towpath. Some dogs see my gangplank as an invitation to board and make friends as did the neighbourhood dogs if I left my front door open in Portsmouth. Some kind soul may have taken Hugo in as a stray. Similarly, I once 'lost' my girlfriend's dog for a few hours; unknown to me the dog was sleeping on the back seat of my car when I closed both the car and garage doors at 10pm. That dog would get into any car with an open door.

Sometimes even the most reliable dog will be fascinated by a 'trail' and end up 'lost' and unable to find their way home. e.g. Ten years ago I lived in a fairly isolated trio of cottages on the South Downs. I found a small, grey, hairy terrier happily trotting up our unmade track. Before I could check the ID disk my neighbour said "That's Sparkler"; owned by a common friend from a farm five miles distant, beyond the A3 dual carriageway, a mainline railway and miles of wild forest.

Dogs do some stupid things; I was instructed to treat my dog as I would a child or, maybe, a teenager if they were particularly bright!

If a small terrier can stray five miles from home, a larger dog could bound over many more miles. Without Sparkler's luck it could take some time before he is found. Hugo may be mooching around some woodland/forest waiting for someone to rescue him. He will find water and some food.

Loss of a dog is painful and I hope he will be returned to his owner soon. No doubt, Hugo will be equally overjoyed to be reunited with his 'family' (pack).

Kind regards, Alan

Sensible post - the same happened to me with my Westie - once she jumped in someone's car by mistake (she loved cars).

She crept out of my car when I did a job in Kidlington, Oxford and I did not miss her until I completed another job in a village 10 miles away.

I spent a few hours looking for her, cursing all the inhabitants in the village, it was not a brilliant area - my car had been stolen a few months previously and had been found in this village, the Police were informed and about half an hour later let me know she had been found in Kidlington........

Perhaps the dog in question fell in the canal, and was only able to get out on the offside (due to piling), might be worth checking villages that side.

Good luck

L.