which flowers would you recommend for the roof of my boat

Featured Posts

I really am amazed by this thread. The OP is accused of trolling when he is clearly not. Then there's been 3 pages of mild trolling posts from forum regulars who clearly aren't remotely interested in plants or gardens and seem to only want to wind up those who are. It's all pretty mild and innocuous but still, the irony is strong here! If you don't want flowers on your boat, then don't have them, to each their own. But please don't try and tell others what they should do. I've always been a gardener and I certainly wasn't going to stop when I became a liveaboard! My summer displays always get loads of positive comments and I've never had someone say to my face "plants belong in gardens, not boats". If they did they might find themselves on the wrong end of a well sharpened cordyline!

• Greenie 3

I really am amazed by this thread. The OP is accused of trolling when he is clearly not. Then there's been 3 pages of mild trolling posts from forum regulars who clearly aren't remotely interested in plants or gardens and seem to only want to wind up those who are. It's all pretty mild and innocuous but still, the irony is strong here! If you don't want flowers on your boat, then don't have them, to each their own. But please don't try and tell others what they should do.

The original post asked what flowers should people recommend for the roof of a boat.

Now, it is clearly entirely up to each of us whether we have a herbaceous border on the roof or not, and it would be presumptuous of any of us to tell others not to. However the OP invited us to tell him, and "none" is a perfectly valid answer to the question posed.

As to the OP, clearly there are some who feel that he has been unfairly criticised. Perhaps he isn't trolling, but if not, he does need to work on his style.

Starting a topic that attracts sharply polarised views, then failing to engage in the discussion is troll-like.

Perhaps if the OP engaged in discussions started by others, or even engaged in discussions he started......

• Greenie 2

I always find a few flowers on the roof helps when we moor near houses. It tends to make us more acceptable. I know it perhaps shouldn't be that way, but life's like that.

That's quite a display for Brentford rob!

Edited by jenlyn

I always find a few flowers on the roof helps when we moor near houses. It tends to make us more acceptable. I know it perhaps shouldn't be that way, but life's like that.

Bloody hell. Now I see it clearly. We need to replace the rusty wheelbarrow with a few flower planters.

The bicycles fairly shiny though and the wood is now stored in Kent :)

That's quite a display for Brentford rob!

A beacon amongst the building site.. :)

Bloody hell. Now I see it clearly. We need to replace the rusty wheelbarrow with a few flower planters.

The bicycles fairly shiny though and the wood is now stored in Kent smile.png

I've got a solution for ya Ange.....

Just take one of your logs; hollow out a bit in the centre, put in some plants for the summer, then chop it up and burn it next winter :)

I've got a solution for ya Ange.....

Just take one of your logs; hollow out a bit in the centre, put in some plants for the summer, then chop it up and burn it next winter :)H

Hey Bettie

I love you! A perfect solution

Huggles x

The original post asked what flowers should people recommend for the roof of a boat.

Now, it is clearly entirely up to each of us whether we have a herbaceous border on the roof or not, and it would be presumptuous of any of us to tell others not to. However the OP invited us to tell him, and "none" is a perfectly valid answer to the question posed.

As to the OP, clearly there are some who feel that he has been unfairly criticised. Perhaps he isn't trolling, but if not, he does need to work on his style.

Starting a topic that attracts sharply polarised views, then failing to engage in the discussion is troll-like.

Perhaps if the OP engaged in discussions started by others, or even engaged in discussions he started......

so what flowers did you say?????????????????

Actually I don't think it is valid answer.

It would only be completely valid if the OP has asked 'should I have flowers on the roof of my boat or none, and if I should what should I choose?'

The fact the question was phrased as it was pre-supposes the decision to have flowers up there had already taken. Whilst obviously opinions as to the whys are wherefores of doing so where inevitable I don't think just saying 'none' actually answers his question.

Edited by The Dog House

This is absolutely true, we lived in a bus and the difference a couple of demount-able hanging baskets and a half-decent paint job made to the way we were initially perceived by the "locals" was phenomenal....

Last year I did veg, and it all got a bit out of control. This year I have done nasturtiums, which I hope will tumble down the side; Sweet peas, which I hope to trail lengthways rather than upwards, and stock night scented, i'm not sure what it does but I am relying on it to smell awesome.

I only have maybe 22 or so foot of roof, most of which is covered in solar panels, so all my plants are on four square feet at the front.

I agree also that having some nice plants can change people's perception of you on the cut! The same as having cats can, seeing them often makes some very stone-faced or suspicious people crack a smile!

Ah, when we were teenagers my mate secretly grew a few of these in his parents huge greenhouse. One day, without his knowledge, gran came to visit and, poking about in the greenhouse was puzzled by these plants.

Anyway, it turned out she'd taken a leaf and posted it of to the RHS at Wisley for identification. First they knew about it was when the local drug squad turned up hammering and ready to kick the front door down at 5am!

The best bit was he managed to convince the fuzz that he kept his hemp fishing bait there, and some of them must have germinated.

:D

These ones are pretty.Some kind of cabbage i believe..

marijuana.jpg

Apart from the fact they're all foliage and no flowers, I wouldn't recommend these for on the roof; too high profile for (1) figuratively: the police to see and (2) literally: bridges and tunnels.

Given that one of the ways the growers are found is by spotting their high electricity bills, how long before they circumvent that by going off grid? If you ever see a boat with lots of solar panels, plenty of light escaping its few windows and maybe a stove and/or generator running more than usual, in an isolated off-the-radar sunny spot, this might just be why...