Moving onto the cut

Miemie

Featured Posts

Right we will be moving onto our boat in September so was just wondering when you moved onto your boat what did you take with onto the boat that you could not live without?

What do u miss now that you are living on the boat if anything

Kim

Hey,, Hi ya,

When did you getting a boat happen,,,, did I miss that somewhere,,, Well Done. I hope you are really looking forward to it.

Take the absolute minimum with you, As above really, with the addition of a Credit Card or to.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

One guy I met a few years ago said he had only agreed to become a liveaboard, - his wife's idea - if he could take his 50 inch TV with him. I was invited onto the boat where I imagined it would be either on a bow or stern bulkhead. It actually occupied virtually the entire side wall of the lounge so you couldn't sit more than six feet away from it. Still, he got his way.

Brought with me and can't live without (in order of importance)......

Zebby (my cat) & all his paraphernalia

Debit & credit cards

Garlic press (hate chopping garlic)

18" none stick fry pan (can do bacon, sausage, tomatoes, mushrooms & eggs in one pan)

Bread maker

Slow cooker

back scratcher

kindles

lap top

phone (but only because we use for tethering to the internet)

oops almost forgot.....Dave (and no, he doesn't belong at the bottom of the list) :)

Miss......

Not one single thing

Some things take a little while to get used to........

- remembering to pull the canal side bedroom curtains each night so you don't have passing boats looking in on you if your having a lay-in

- remembering to remove the chimney before setting off for a cruise

- geese pecking the side of the boat during the night

- the 3 bangs when filling the water tank

- asking Dave if I can make bread while hoovering and doing a load of laundry

- doing a "weekly" shop, rather than popping to Morrison's which was 10 houses down the street from our bricks & mortar place

- that a 7 minute shower is a luxury

None of these are "bad", they just take a bit of getting used to is all.

Congratulations, very happy for you. And you won't believe just how fast the next few months will pass.

You take EVERYTHING with you onto the boat.

In a months time you throw out half.

In 6mths time you throw out half of what's left.

In a year you throw out half of what's left.

In 2yrs time you throw out the rest.

It's just how it works :)

As above but one thing I couldn't live without is my Hi Fi

Same here. Really good hi-fi is ESSENTIAL. The hard bit is finding proper 12v powered hi-fi. Car-based stuff never really cuts it for me :)

MtB

Right we will be moving onto our boat in September so was just wondering when you moved onto your boat what did you take with onto the boat that you could not live without?

What do u miss now that you are living on the boat if anything

Kim

Congrats on getting afloat Kim, as for what I miss, well the only thing is a long hot soak in a BATH, I have always showered all my life but do like the odd soak now and again but that is a small price to pay opposite a great lifestyle.

Have fun, Phil

A good set of tools is a must. I would think every boat has a set.

Now there's a WHOLE new subject.

What do you consider a 'good set of tools' comprises? My set of tools fills a van and a garage and seems a long way from complete to me.

Here's something I've been perving over recently even though I only do fault-tracing these days:

Wonderfully designed piece of kit that take the conceprt of the Workmate to a whole new level!

MtB

MTB Why did you have to show me that!!!!!!

My toolkit used to be the size of yours but has gradually been reduced on the " have you used it this year" and the "do you know someone with one you can borrow" system. There are one or two items that I know I should get rid of but can't bring myself to.

To be honest there is very little that I have gotten rid of that I regret.

Simple really, some of the mooit frightens ing locations are impossible, simply because of the vegetation.

Moan, moan, moan. Ooops, sorry wrong thread icecream.gif

Actually, not a bad Idea, I carry a chainsaw for cutting wood but think It would frighten the natives if i started using that on the towpath. cheers.gif

Kim

memories reminding me of the appaling conditions of living in bricks and mortar