vintage and classic narrowboats

Featured Posts

I do not know my boats, i was showing boats that i like i was hoping people on here would show me boats that they like.

Rather than copying the pictures off of the HNBC website, creating a YouTube video and just posting it with no explanation, maybe the correct way to start discussing boats that you like would be to say something like...

"I've been looking at the HNBC website and thought I would share some of the boats I like with you all.

http://hnbc.org.uk/boats/aber

http://hnbc.org.uk/boats/alcor

What boats do other people on the forum like?"

See how easy that is and it doesn't breach any copyright.

Jumping straight in after people picked up on they weren't your pictures and basically saying "tough luck, you lose all copyright when it's on the internet" was not only ignorant of the law but extremely likely to get people's backs up which has happened.

Also I see you've not commented on the post by the owner of the website you stole the pictures from.

Edited by IanM

all forums are the same people need to get out more lol

Rather than copying the pictures off of the HNBC website, creating a YouTube video and just posting it with no explanation, maybe the correct way to start discussing boats that you like would be to say something like...

"I've been looking at the HNBC website and thought I would share some of the boats I like with you all.

http://hnbc.org.uk/boats/aber

http://hnbc.org.uk/boats/alcor

What boats do other people on the forum like?"

See how easy that is and it doesn't breach any copyright.

Jumping straight in after people picked up on they weren't your pictures and basically saying "tough luck, you lose all copyright when it's on the internet" was not only ignorant of the law but extremely likely to get people's backs up which has happened.

Also I see you've not commented on the post by the owner of the website you stole the pictures from.

Priceless! So give the guy a break. He may well be a devious type who deserves a degree of contempt, but, and nothing anyone says will deter the attack, he comes across as someone innocently finding a pleasure in something he has compiled - now pray tell, are you lot so innocent you can all cast stones with such impunity?

Priceless! So give the guy a break. He may well be a devious type who deserves a degree of contempt, but, and nothing anyone says will deter the attack, he comes across as someone innocently finding a pleasure in something he has compiled - now pray tell, are you lot so innocent you can all cast stones with such impunity?

thank you, they will be having a go at you next

Spot on imo.

Agree fine,

Disagree fine,

Debate and Discuss till you fingers drop off, fine.

But why do some people have to resort to Name calling, or making personal insults to a poster ?.(Banter aside ofcourse).

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

You obviously haven't read some of the aggressive and combative stances he has taken on this site in the past!

MtB

Aggressive is that how you see it? i have never started name calling.

I do.

So not starting name calling makes it ok for you to steal photos from the HNBC site eh?

Never mind, youtube will probably take down your video now the true owner of the images has lodged a complaint. Copyright infringement is generally taken quite seriously. Starcoaster has had considerable success having sites copying my content taken down, much to the annoyance of certain plagiarisng plumbers. ISPs seem to take this stuff very seriously.

MtB

The owner of the copyright is the original creator of the work. So unless you are claiming to be the inventor of your boat you do not hold any copyright. On the other hand if you have a unique piece of sculptor you created on your boat and someone were to photograph that you could then claim copyright, I think?

Don't think you can. A photographer using a modern camera needs no skill at all to "take" an image of your pride and joy and then claim copyright on that image to stop anyone else taking what he took from you, even though the image was created by someone elses clever copyrighted/patented electronics .

he comes across as someone innocently finding a pleasure in something he has compiled -

Surely if he was then he would have said "I didn't realise but now I do I have taken down the videos that infringe copyright. Thanks for the info."

Instead he dismissed it as okay and invited the "attack".

Nobody is "innocent" but that doesn't prohibit anyone from commenting on something they disapprove of.

- now pray tell, are you lot so innocent you can all cast stones with such impunity?

One can only assume that you have never criticised behaviour that you personally disapprove of but others find acceptable.

Oh, hang on, you're doing it now! wink.png

Surely if he was then he would have said "I didn't realise but now I do I have taken down the videos that infringe copyright. Thanks for the info."

Instead he dismissed it as okay and invited the "attack".

Nobody is "innocent" but that doesn't prohibit anyone from commenting on something they disapprove of.

One can only assume that you have never criticised behaviour that you personally disapprove of but others find acceptable.

Oh, hang on, you're doing it now! wink.png

Hmmm, you have a point, a very upstanding point wink.png

I think it only fair to say that we all sometimes say or do things that are perhaps lacking in something. Guilty as charged and all that. Then, it would be nice to give the offending person a break, I mean to say, some people will not under any circumstances ever apologise even if they are blindingly obviously at fault ... I'm NOT suggesting by the way that this is evident in this thread.... Nope, I just think that we all need to show a little more maturity, that's all (I am now looking for the 'I am putting on helmet' smiley smile.png

Don't think you can. A photographer using a modern camera needs no skill at all to "take" an image of your pride and joy and then claim copyright on that image to stop anyone else taking what he took from you, even though the image was created by someone elses clever copyrighted/patented electronics .

Skill or lack of it is irrelevent. A maker of paint and brushes can not lay claim to the works of constable! It is only the image that is copyright not things used to make it.

I took some photos of houses in our village and made them into postcards and sold them. One of the house owners claimed he had copyright on his house? I looked into this and was told that unless he was the first person to create a timber framed house he could not claim copyright. On the other hand a sculptor I had photographed in the blacksmiths workshop did have copyright.

Everyday is a schoolday.

If the OP didn't realise he was breaking the law then, once it was suggested to him that this was the case he should have sought more information. Researched why what he had done might have been a problem - either using Google or by asking those who suggested it to him.

If he had then removed the video and thanked those people of the forum who had taken the time to explain to him what he had done wrong then I suspect no one would have been bothered.

Instead the video still sits there for all to see and the OP accuses everyone else of picking on him.

He was given a break in the first page of the thread. The fact he has done nothing towards putting right what he has done wrong means in my mind his break is over.

sorry to all the people that have got so upset. i am a bad man with all the things that are going on in the world i am up at the top please feel free to shout abuse at me when i go passed in my boat do not swear because my wife will get upset

You're not old enough to be married.

Something bothers me a great deal about this thread.

The Historic Narrow Boat Club is an organisation that does a great deal to further the understanding of historic boats, to help save historic boats, to preserve the history of historic boats and to ensure wherever possible that our inland waterways are preserved in a condition that allows them to be navigated by the boats that were built to ply their trade upon them.

It is run by volunteers who give up a great deal of their time for the cause. Many of those volunteers already have their work cut out because they own a historic boat and everyone knows how time consuming it can be to try and keep ontop of the maintenance of an old craft.

All boaters ought to support their work. It is thanks to them highlighting areas that need dredging and pinch points in ancient lock walls that are moving and no longer allow the widest boats through safely that helps CRT to prioritise maintenance work in the worst areas. I have no idea how many members they have but lots of people happily pay their subscription to this organisation in the knowledge that they are doing a valuable job in helping to ensure the lovely old boats are preserved.

The OP suggests the pictures he stole are of boats he likes. If he really liked the historic boats then he would have removed hus Youtube video as soon as it was pointed out to him what he had done wrong. He didn't and so it means that a volunteer has to spend his time in reporting it to get it removed.

He obviously does not like those boats so much if he allows his actions to divert valuable volunteer hours away from preserving the boats.

• Greenie 1

Hey CR, you reaise this is the same poster about who you said to me in his other thread...

Hey MTB ... give the guy a break..... he only ever posts on threads he starts himelf so perhaps his computer only shows him a very restricted view of this forum meaning he misses out on all the wealth of wonderful information, discussion on relevant topics and friendly helpful banter that this forum has to offer.

Or perhaps that is just my diplomatic approach with a heavy dose of wishful thinking.....

Just sayin'...

MtB

Unfortunately Ian Hull's video is still live on YouTube, so he obviously has completely ignored everything that has been said to him.

In total he has 112 videos in his "profile" and I suspect quite a lot of them aren't actually recorded by him, from what I can see.

Hey CR, you reaise this is the same poster about who you said to me in his other thread...

Hey MTB ... give the guy a break..... he only ever posts on threads he starts himelf so perhaps his computer only shows him a very restricted view of this forum meaning he misses out on all the wealth of wonderful information, discussion on relevant topics and friendly helpful banter that this forum has to offer.

Or perhaps that is just my diplomatic approach with a heavy dose of wishful thinking.....

Just sayin'...

MtB

Yes

Of course I do - sorry I didn't deploy enough sarcasm for you to realise my tongue was firmly in my cheek when I posted that.

I must learn to be more forthright!