How does a trad stern give you 'more useful internal space'?

Marjorie

Featured Posts

Oh that sounds like a cool idea (expensive because of the hatch maybe?)

Alan, I want a bell. Nothing else really maters (engine? Whatever.).

Actually, some of you have pretty nice looking homes. Can I just come live with you?

This:

2812-K.jpg

Is the nearest I've seen to achieving it, but it would need a little extra done because the boards weren't particularly waterproof or well fitting and floor space was used to store a bunch of loose items. Interestingly, the boat was a hydraulic drive and the engine was installed transversely too.

In fact, it can become a horribly cluttered space for dumping stuff

Richard

Like mine. Probably more stuff in the engine room than anywhere, from rope to raincoats via tool oil filters and her wet washing at times

Edit

Don't think I dear put a photo of my engine room up after those shining examples.

Edited by ditchcrawler

Like mine. Probably more stuff in the engine room than anywhere, from rope to raincoats via tool oil filters and her wet washing at times

What you need to do is cultivate a little dirt and grease around the engine room, try slackening off an injector pipe. This will make the place less suitable for wet washing and make more space for tools, rope and other essential masculine objects

Richard

I recently worked on a Reeves hulled boat, not sure who fitted it out. They had carefully managed the space so the route to the rear cabin was along the top and down the front of the engine. The steps had to be fitted into spaces available. This made an easy access into the boat, an engine that is easy to work on and a useful space both sides of the rear 'step'

Most arrangements can be made to work well, it's all about attention to detail

Richard

That's pretty much how mine is, the only disadvantage with this set up is assuming you have a fixed double at the stern it has to be a foot or two further forward than with a side entry where the bed can be right up against the bulkhead. But having access to the engine from all four sides is well worth it.

I only started looking at trads because I couldn't find a suitable cruiser at the time, but I'm completely converted now. Of course you can create extra storage space on the deck of a cruiser with lockers etc but there is something about having things enclosed in a cozy cabin. And it is cozy, I occasionally just sit and read in mine.

I know it's not to the point, but the other thing about trads is they just look so much better. I always thought so even when we had a cruiser.

Having had both a Trad stern and Cruiser stern as liveaboards we certainly prefer the Cruiser stern with a pram cover.

No need to get any wet clothes shoes or boots inside the boat, they all stay under the hood.

Its not a problem cruising in the rain either as I keep the hood up and drop the centre pole forward when going under low bridges.

Not to mention that three quarters of your body can be inside when steering. Just wait until you see someone steering a cruiser stern in the rain/winter. That will be enough to persuade you never to get one.

I know I feel so sorry for me in my insulated double glazed wheelhouse boat.gif and then I also have more internal space as well

Peter

I know I feel so sorry for me in my insulated double glazed wheelhouse boat.gif and then I also have more internal space as well

Peter

Can you get under bridges?

(I'm veering towards just wearing my mac... with a glass of Scotch... or staying put until the rain stops...)

Its not a problem cruising in the rain either as I keep the hood up and drop the centre pole forward when going under low bridges.

There speaks a bloke whose wife works all the locks...

<tin hat smiley>

MtB

All that more useful internal space is nice and dry and warm. wink.png

I have storage cupboards, coat cupboard, engine spares, tools, all electric controls, in the dry.

I can service the engine and generator in the dry.

The bilge stays dry.

and though it annoys me sometimes, it is a good place to dry and/or air clothes, if it's raining.

If push came to shove, someone could sleep there.

Wot he said.

CT

I know it's not a stern, but look at the cratch cover conservatory thingy on this one. I like it.

http://www.venetianmarina.co.uk/used-narrowboats/details/2856.aspx

Not to my taste, I do like the welsh dresser in the kitchen though - but that's what its all about, if you like it and it gives you that warm and tingly feeling then it's great for you :)

Find a boat that suites your needs & style and you'll be happy for years to come

I also bet they didn't cruise it under low bridges and through tunnels very much. Or it was owned by a glazier! biggrin.png

MtB

I don't get it. It's not 'sticky outy' so it shouldn't matter, no?

Apologies if someone has already stated this but mine is a semi trad with the engine under the floor but quite a lot of space for tools, rope, cruising clothes etc etc and not too bad cruising in the rain as only my top half gets wet. Have a button there that activates an alarm in the kitchen to summon coffee and bacon sandwichs. However the BIG drawback is the weedhatch. Think in my advancing years might have to take up yoga so I can still contort my body into something a bit more flexible to get into the bloody thing

Apologies if someone has already stated this but mine is a semi trad with the engine under the floor but quite a lot of space for tools, rope, cruising clothes etc etc and not too bad cruising in the rain as only my top half gets wet. Have a button there that activates an alarm in the kitchen to summon coffee and bacon sandwichs. However the BIG drawback is the weedhatch. Think in my advancing years might have to take up yoga so I can still contort my body into something a bit more flexible to get into the bloody thing

It should be a relatively simple mod to form a new opening in the deck directly over the hatch, might offend the purists but I don't know how some trad owners access their weed boxes without one.

It should be a relatively simple mod to form a new opening in the deck directly over the hatch, might offend the purists but I don't know how some trad owners access their weed boxes without one.

Yeah, thanks Neil, I've been giving that option some thought myself recently. Think a sort of hinged flap at the back is the way to go. Its my home so practicality wins over purism every time

Yeah, thanks Neil, I've been giving that option some thought myself recently. Think a sort of hinged flap at the back is the way to go. Its my home so practicality wins over purism every time

Do some measurements first though. You may find you need four foot long arms to reach the prop shaft

MrTickle_2_S.jpg

Richard

Do some measurements first though. You may find you need four foot long arms to reach the prop shaft

MrTickle_2_S.jpg

Richard

Thanks Richard, good point, hadnt thought of that. But thinking about it it would be handy just to lift the weedhatch itself and then do the prop the ' normal' way. In such a confined space thats the worst bit as several burns to my arms off the hot exhaust will testify

I know all boats are different but you should be able to cut a hatch big enough to step down into the bilge rather than trying to reach into the hatch from the deck above.

The fringe benefits are better access to the storage space below - it's where I keep the anchor and various other bits of metalwork, tins of blacking etc., also on my boat it lets in quite a lot of extra light to the engine room and where some of the electrics are, it's also the easiest way for me to get at the stern gland greaser.

Had two cruiser stern boats .Did not work for us at all. Two people sitting on the rail .Others standing? Modern " Trad" ticks all the boxes for us.Never had a proper rear cabin and engine room.I imagine,having the engine forward of the rear cabin makes it less noisy for the steerer. I can see semi trad for living space if a pram hood is fitted.