Batteries don't appear to be charging

David W

Featured Posts

Hello everyone,

Since we took delivery of our boat, we've been up and down the Thames quite a bit (red boards allowing). One thing we've noticed is that once back on mooring, the batteries don't appear to have charged much (if at all) whilst we've been cruising. Once plugged back in to shore power our inverter/charger goes spends quite a bit of time (over an hour) on "absorption" before making it back to "float". This is even the case after 4 hours of cruising. We did run the dishwasher for a 30 min cycle whilst out though.

I realise this is a stoopid noob question, but is this normal or should I get the builders back in to have a look at it?

Any help gratefully received.

Cheers

David

That's a bit of an ambiguous way to determine if the batteries are being charged or not. What's the voltage before you start the engine and after?

That's a bit of an ambiguous way to determine if the batteries are being charged or not. What's the voltage before you start the engine and after?

In fact, since its a brand new boat, get the builders to look at it - might be a simple issue etc.

I would have thought that a Dish washer cycle would have knocked the batteries well down if they are not charging. If you do get the makers back pay a few pounds for some instrumentation so you know whats happening. Digital volt meter and ammeter or Smartgauge.

Hello everyone,

Since we took delivery of our boat, we've been up and down the Thames quite a bit (red boards allowing). One thing we've noticed is that once back on mooring, the batteries don't appear to have charged much (if at all) whilst we've been cruising. Once plugged back in to shore power our inverter/charger goes spends quite a bit of time (over an hour) on "absorption" before making it back to "float". This is even the case after 4 hours of cruising. We did run the dishwasher for a 30 min cycle whilst out though.

I realise this is a stoopid noob question, but is this normal or should I get the builders back in to have a look at it?

Any help gratefully received.

Cheers

David

Over an hour on absorption is a very short time, if the batteries were discharged a lot expect it to be more like 8++ hours to go to float., running the dishwasher would probably still have discharged your batteries unless the alternator was a large one (amps).

By all means get the builders back but I doubt anything is wrong.

Some reading for you:

http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/technical1.html

http://www.batteryfaq.org/

I'm on t'River and find that 4 hours cruising at river speed (much faster than on the canals) ins enough to charge my batteries, but then I've got two enormous alternators and unusual batteries.

If you've got domestic style equipment - ?dishwasher FFS?, then you need somewhat (!) more than standard NB battery capacity and alternator capablility.

As folks on here say - 'you need a power audit' , which means some calculations (not very difficult) and an appreciation of how 'power' at domestic mains voltages translates to current (amps) requirement at 12 Volts. Quite easily the current runs to hundreds of amps - quite frightening....

Agree , dishwashers save water . Ours is also 11lts a wash. Takes all the dishes, mugs, cutlery, glasses and plates for the day in one wash. Do the pots by hand. Bunny.

Though power can be replaced very quickly whilst in bulk charge (almost 100% efficiency) absorption can take ages, it can take anything from 24 to 72 hrs to fully charge a battery,

Anything less is a compromise between cost of replacement batts and fuel used fir charging.

Agree , dishwashers save water . Ours is also 11lts a wash. Takes all the dishes, mugs, cutlery, glasses and plates for the day in one wash. Do the pots by hand. Bunny.

I do all of that in one bowl of water, with probably half that amount of water.

Dishwasher????????????????

Jeez.....

biggrin.png

MtB

I suppose when the alternative is a woman, the dishwasher is far less hassle.

There's actually a much more simple alternative than a dishwasher or a woman to do the dishes...........disposable paper plates.

I don't know what the world is coming to.

When we started a bucket for a loo, camp beds with sleeping bags in the canvas covered hold were the norm and you could always cuddle the horse to warm up.......

Nowadays folks come one here for help with:-

Air conditioning

50" colour TVs with automatic aerials

DIshwashers,

Washing machines

Electric cookers

underfloor heating

and so on and on.

All the above with a couple of 115 amphour leisure batteries.

Sheesh!!

OP sounds like an ideal SmartGauge customer smile.png Well worth getting one in this case.

And in the longer term learn about batts and their strange ways! (plenty of topics to read via the link under this post)

And how much diesel?

(To generate the leccy...!)

MtB

Good way to use a summer solar surplus. In winter - kettle ont' stove :)

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Thanks for (some of) your comments folks.

Whilst I understand that some of you balk in horror at the thought of change and advancement, there are some of us who embrace technology. If you want to sh*t in a bucket and wash in a tin bath, that's up to you. I have no wish to live like that.

I have a 1200Ah battery bank and have most modern conveniences you would have in a house. Just because I live on a boat does not mean I have to live in the dark ages. But then I live on a widebeam on the Thames AND I have a pump out toilet - not sure it even can be classified as a boat according to some definitions on here.

As it turns out, the issue is that my alternator isn't big enough.