To Brum or not to Brum, that is the question

BargeeSpud

Featured Posts

Hiya,

We're tied up in Braunston on our way to the Llangollen & we need to call in on Colecraft at Long Itchington on the way.

Now, our original plan was to take the North Stratford to Edgbaston, get on the go early & shoot through on the mainline to Wolverhampton in a single day. However, & no disrespect intended, but I personally don't fancy Birmingham at all, unfortunately, swinging round at Warwick to go up the north Oxford, Coventry, T & M, etc. really makes no sense time wise.

I know my reservations about Brum are totally unfounded, I've been through Burnley & Blackburn without a care in the world, but I find the thought of our 2nd City quite daunting. Irrational, but there you go. It doesn't help that we have 2 large dogs with us with their needs & comforts to consider.

So does my original plan make sense & do any of you have any tips to pass on, things to avoid etc?

Cheers.

Edited by Spuds

Birmingham is lovely, moor on the main line as close to St Vincent Street bridge and then just walk the dogs under that bridge to get to a nice grassy towpath that is pretty quiet, and you can cross over and come back on the equally good towpath on the other side of the mainline. That bit of VM is also pretty quiet at night, seems it's far enough from broad street to not get hordes of revellers.

Don't worry about it.

On the way in on the North Stratford, stop overnight somewhere between Hockley Heath and Dickens Heath, and then the next day go into the centre of Birmingham, and stop overnight near Old Turn, mooring on the Main Line or Oozells St Loop. Then either go straight accroos the Mail Line and down the 21, or break it with an overnight stop the the Black Country Museum.

Spuds

I've boated around the BCN for more than 50 years, never had a problem other than a fouled prop with rubbish thrown in, which I've also had in many other places.

There appears to be an ill founded paranoia among some of the modern boating fraternity regarding Brum, please disregard much of it. The approach from Kings Norton is surprisingly rural until you are almost in Gas St. The new main line is largely industrial, straight and boring, used to reckon 2 and a half hours to Factory 3 then under 2 hours to Hampton top, much more interesting on Brindleys old main line. Gas St to Brewood is do-able in a long day, done it many times.

Hope this helps allay the fears.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks peeps, as I said, my trepidation is totally irrational & is more "fear of the unknown", & of course I realize they're without foundation. The only explanation I can give is that about 5 years ago, I used the Garrison to get onto the GU mainline & as we turned onto it, some guy looked at the dogs & said "you'll need those where you're going!" & shortly after came across some BW guys who told us kids were steaming the boats further on, to say I was apprehensive was an understatement! Needless to say nothing happened, but we made Knowle & tied up exhausted from the stress those stupid words induced. So I guess that's at the back of my mind.

Anyway, thanks for the tips & we'll make note of the stops mentioned & if, no make that when, things go well, we'll consider overnighting. I should say that this will be our last chance to enjoy the narrow canals on our own boat, so not to do Brum would be criminal I suppose. Also, we want to get onto the Llangollen as soon as practicable so we can take time to enjoy it & meander our way homeward as I need to be back at Hemel no later than the start of July.

Keep the tips & suggestions coming though, I really appreciate them.

I agree I visited Brum for the first time last year and thought it was great, on the other hand did not enjoy Wolverhampton and personally would get through as quick as possible. Stayed in the old BW compound as the only other place was safe but unable to get off the boat.

Ade, we'll be leaving Fazeley mill end of this month to go to Llangollen via the Black Country museum so will look out for you somewhere! Did Wolverhampton a couple of years ago and have to say it was not the highlight of the trip so not really looking forward to that bit.

Hiya,

We're tied up in Braunston on our way to the Llangollen & we need to call in on Colecraft at Long Itchington on the way.

Now, our original plan was to take the North Stratford to Edgbaston, get on the go early & shoot through on the mainline to Wolverhampton in a single day. However, & no disrespect intended, but I personally don't fancy Birmingham at all, unfortunately, swinging round at Warwick to go up the north Oxford, Coventry, T & M, etc. really makes no sense time wise.

I know my reservations about Brum are totally unfounded, I've been through Burnley & Blackburn without a care in the world, but I find the thought of our 2nd City quite daunting. Irrational, but there you go. It doesn't help that we have 2 large dogs with us with their needs & comforts to consider.

So does my original plan make sense & do any of you have any tips to pass on, things to avoid etc?

Cheers.

Yes your concerns are totally unfounded. You are far more likely to suffer problems either side of Brum, not that you will.

the worst bit of the route into Brum is that swingbridge at Shirley!! it can be a sod to open /close that's it all the horridness of Brum in 1 lowly little place ! LOL I have overnighted many times in the centre and top of camphill, top of Walsall, top of Wolverhampton 21 even top of the delph all without incident been all round the BCN never had more than a few blades of rubbish occasionally

Brum is much nicer than London

the worst bit of the route into Brum is that swingbridge at Shirley!! it can be a sod to open /close that's it all the horridness of Brum in 1 lowly little place ! LOL I have overnighted many times in the centre and top of camphill, top of Walsall, top of Wolverhampton 21 even top of the delph all without incident been all round the BCN never had more than a few blades of rubbish occasionally

Brum is much nicer than London

There is no swing bridge at Shirley, there is an electric lift bridge, which is as easy as turning your BW key! It is the highlight of the trip into Brum, try and time It to get there at rush hour and enjoy stopping the traffic! Edited by john6767
  • Greenie 1

I wasn't looking forward to boating in Birmingham for the first time several years ago as I imagined it as all built up with no grassy areas for the dogs. How wrong I was! It is now one of my favourite places to boat and my favourite mooring is right outside the National Indoor Arena. When boating, I like to get off the boat and walk the dogs along the towpath and I don't think I have ever failed to find a good safe area for doing this in Birmingham. Don't give Birmingham a miss and I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised.

Haggis

There is no swing bridge at Shirley, there is an electric lift bridge, which is as easy as turning your BW key! It is the highlight of the trip into Brum, try and time It to get there at rush hour and enjoy stopping the traffic!

well remind me where the swing one is then its always been a sod!

well remind me where the swing one is then its always been a sod!

There are no swing bridges on the North Stratford, just 3 lift bridges, the electric one at Shirley and 2 manual ones between Lapworth and Hockley Heath, the first you get to from Lapworth is a pig.

There are no swing bridges on the North Stratford, just 3 lift bridges, the electric one at Shirley and 2 manual ones between Lapworth and Hockley Heath, the first you get to from Lapworth is a pig.

Once upon a time, there was a swing bridge on Tunnel Lane. It's on the bank at Calf Heath now

Richard

Just for the record, not only is central Brum safe, but I had to spend an unplanned night a couple of hundred yards above Garrison Locks on the Saltley Cut recently. I had become wedged in the top lock with a lorry tyre and by the time CRT had freed me the light was failing. Backed up to the water point and moored near there. as there were bollards.

Never heard anything, and set off the next morning after a quiet night's sleep.

Edited by magpie patrick

I am also a big fan of Birmingham and looking forward to seeing the boats taking part in the BCN Challenge.

This is a photo of my current mooring in Birmingham very pleasant and lots of friendly chat with people passing on the towpath, the Geese are a bit of a nuisance!!!

10307237_887110411304103_674758989987714

It has been there in the last ten years, I don't remember when it went. I doubt it has been swung in a very, very long time

Richard

I remember having to swing it when we went through in 1993 but on my next journey through in 2002 it was open and covered in brambles. It was certainly removed by 2008 when we passed it on the bank.

We went in there some time ago and ordered a small chips. The young girl behind the counter was a bit surprised when our eyes bulged at the size of the portions 'are they too small?'. We were very glad we hadn't ordered a large portion, we would have needed a wheelbarrow

Richard