The area close to domed decklights (bullseyes)

Rob@BSSOffice

Featured Posts

Bullseye-Sun-Warning-Test_100x94.jpg

Wow what scorching weather today, unless you are in Scotland or N. Ireland (sorry peeps), so right now is a good time time to check that you have left nothing in the path of rays of sun focussed by domed decklights aka bullseyes.

Move anything that can burn including aerosol cans, curtains, fluffy toys etc. You should also keep an eye out for scorching of wood lining and fittings closes to the bullseye too.

See some examples of where things have started to go wrong and our advice http://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/stay-safe/fire-safety-for-boats/domed-decklights-bullseyes/

there's a metal fruit bowl over mine if I'm not on board . I've had a scorched curtain but have the glass dome side inwards now and it seems better. Only drawback is water collecting on the glass, reason two for the heavy stainless fruit bowl.

Bullseye-Sun-Warning-Test_100x94.jpg

Wow what scorching weather today, unless you are in Scotland or N. Ireland (sorry peeps), so right now is a good time time to check that you have left nothing in the path of rays of sun focussed by domed decklights aka bullseyes.

Those bullseyes are just idiotic things to fit on boats. Prisms or grapefruit juicers may be ok and they will do the same job, so why anyone would put a magnifying glass in the roof of a boat I have no idea?

Edited by blackrose

Those bullseyes are just idiotic things to fit on boats. Prisms or grapefruit juicers may be ok and they will do the same job, so why anyone would put a magnifying glass in the roof of a boat I have no idea?

You don't half come out with some idiotic comments at times.

Exactly what I was thinking. What an absolutely crazy idea. Seagoing boats have things called Houdini hatches and they offer better illumination, ventilation and an escape route in addition. More expensive of course, but the extra light is worth it.

Or, to put it another way, I need to get hold of a bullseye, measure it, calculate or look up the refractive index of the glass used to make it, and use the equations. I was sort of hoping that someone would have noticed a hot spot a foot away or two feet away, or whatever....

If I had one fitted, I would have already done the checking using empirical methodology, thanks. As I don't have one handy, and one would come in handy in the engine room, and I don't fancy buying one just to find that it would fry the wiring....

You don't half come out with some idiotic comments at times.

On the contrary. If you think it's a good idea to put a magnifying glass-shaped piece of glass in the roof of a boat which according to the evidence provided by Rob cause fires or close calls on boats every summer, then it's clearly you who's the idiot.

Edited by blackrose

My boat has had a bulls eye in its roof for 40 odd years with no fires, no scorching, no children have died and no old people run over. Lot of fuss about nothing if you ask me....

I guess Rob must be making up these stories of fires on boats with bullseye then?

Edited by blackrose

On the contrary. If you think it's a good idea to put a magnifying glass-shaped piece of glass in the roof of a boat which according to the evidence provided by Rob cause fires or close calls on boats every summer, then it's clearly you who's the idiot.

Rob gives lots of advice and warnings about solid fuel stoves, idiotic things to have on boats.

Rob gives advice and warnings about lock safety, idiotic thing to put your boat through.

Rob gives advice and warnings about battery installations, idiotic things to have on a boat...

Etc, etc, etc

Rob gives very good advice about a multitude of boating issues, to raise awareness and lessen risk, not only for new boaters, but also to experienced old hands who may just recheck something following his bulletins.

This is one of those bulletins about a device used on many boats, perfectly safe when used and mounted correctly.

Not an idiotic thing to have.

Indeed our Rob from the BSS office does dish out lots excellent safety advice, but I have to say this, he must also put the b----y fear of Christ up a lot of boaters.

No offence intended Rob, carry on the good work. smile.png

Indeed our Rob from the BSS office does dish out lots excellent safety advice, but I have to say this, he must also put the b----y fear of Christ up a lot of boaters.

No offence intended Rob, carry on the good work. smile.png

That's probably a jolly good thing.

That's probably a jolly good thing.

Yes but its the sensitive, delicate and worrying types, yer know, like the Karl Pilkingtons of this world that these fearsome announcements must have all a'tremble.

Edited by bizzard
  • Greenie 1

My boat has had a bulls eye in its roof for 40 odd years with no fires, no scorching, no children have died and no old people run over. Lot of fuss about nothing if you ask me....

I have to totally disagree...

Our boat....was 12 years old and heavily cruised when we bought it.

Large bullseye in back cabin...

"Aha....no problems after 12 years it must be OK"..I said...

WRONG !!..

We came back on one very sunny day to find the boat back cabin filled with smoke...and a burnt patch on the edge arond the roof where the bullseye was fitted !!

A little longer..it would have been goodbye boat...

Why..after 12 years...?...No idea..but that's true..

It had previosuly burnt a hole in a 'liner' I had made..but I blamed that on me...

I put a 'Poundshop' Wok over it..and painted it to match the roof.

Bob

Edited by Bobbybass