Sound Signals

Featured Posts

lights7.gif

These signals are from the agreed 'International Collision Regs' - they apply on any ditch, drain, canal. river, estuary, sea or ocean in the world.

Not quite. Boating on the inland waterways of continental Europe is governed by the Code Européen des Voies de Navigation Intérieure (CEVNI) and this differs from the COLREGS in some significant ways. The 1 long 2 short means I am TURNING (180 or 360 degrees) to port - to say "coming to or holding to port is simply 2 short. 5 short are "you may not overtake me", and it is 6 or more VERY short for "imminent danger of collision".

When I first came here from UK, being used to the Thames, I signalled 4 short followed by a further 2 when I was about to turn to port to come into a quay on the Seine and was amazed at how all the other craft slowed right down and appeared to be watching me carefully. In fact I'd signalled I was unable to manoeuvre and was holding to port, which would mean meeting oncoming craft on the incorrect side. Passing starboard to starboard IS allowed, and the vessel travelling upstream displays a blue board and/or flashing white light to signal his intent to do so.

So don't try using COLREG signals on the Rhine or you will be in serious shit trouble

boat.gif

Tam

Thanks to all for the advice. I hope not to need it when I go down to the Barking barrier tomorrow morning... The diagram in the original post has been stuck the back of my clipboard for some years now ...

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

For what it is worth I have written to NBW outlining their error. captain.gif

ETA. I am not holding my breath.

Credit where it is due:

I realised the sound signals were wrong Ray, as we always sound either one blast for turning right out of the marina or two if turning left.

Alas the information you copied is copyright, and so I cannot include verbatim. Sorry.

--

Tom

The voice of the waterways for over 13 years

www.narrowboatworld.com

Not quite. Boating on the inland waterways of continental Europe is governed by the Code Européen des Voies de Navigation Intérieure (CEVNI) and this differs from the COLREGS in some significant ways. The 1 long 2 short means I am TURNING (180 or 360 degrees) to port - to say "coming to or holding to port is simply 2 short. 5 short are "you may not overtake me", and it is 6 or more VERY short for "imminent danger of collision".

When I first came here from UK, being used to the Thames, I signalled 4 short followed by a further 2 when I was about to turn to port to come into a quay on the Seine and was amazed at how all the other craft slowed right down and appeared to be watching me carefully. In fact I'd signalled I was unable to manoeuvre and was holding to port, which would mean meeting oncoming craft on the incorrect side. Passing starboard to starboard IS allowed, and the vessel travelling upstream displays a blue board and/or flashing white light to signal his intent to do so.

So don't try using COLREG signals on the Rhine or you will be in serious shit trouble

boat.gif

Tam

Its always the French that are different - (some years ago when we were lumpy water boating) a friend went over to France, flew the correct flags, did everything correctly, customs etc etc and when he came to leave they wouldnt let him as he had no sextant ("its the rules you know"), he had two independant GPS systems - not acceptable, the battery may be flat, he had two independant batteries / electrical circuits - not acceptable.

He had to go to a chandlers and buy a cardboard sextant. That was acceptable.

France - a beautiful country spoiled by the French

We always give one long blast when approaching a blind bend/bridge, not once yet have we received three short in reply, had numerous near misses where the oncoming boat either didn't know what it meant or chose to ignore our signal, I have RYA day skipper, yacht master, ICC, cevni, power boat 1 & 2 & boat mans licence all the sound signals are drummed into the learning, disobey them on the French canals & You could find yourself in serious problems. I believe every one should be aware of the rules as they are there to encourage safety, its a shame that some folk believe that because they have been boating for many years they don't need rules. Take care out there folks.

(Where's Nigel Moore....)

You don’t need me; Dharl has provided the definitive answer in #12 – the sound signals required by the relevant byelaw he quoted “apply to every canal or inland navigation in England and Wales belonging to or under the control of the British Waterways Board. [read CaRT]”

For those taking the view that using them is a waste of time - or even confusing to the ignorant so best not used – their use is NOT optional, and failure to use them is an offence.

Any person who contravenes the foregoing or any of the Board’s General Canal Bye-laws . . . shall be liable on summary conviction to a penalty not exceeding one hundred pounds for each offence . . .”

Ok - so now the Pillings thread is 'drying up' lets be a bit controversial

A hire boater does not make a signal, resulting in an accident, is the Hire boater liable for the damage and the C&RT 'penalty', or is it the Hire Boat Company's responsibility if they did not provide a list of sound signals and an explanation about them ?

A private boater makes the 'two-hoots' signal just as a 'warning' that he is just around a blind corner, the 'other boat' on hearing the signal turns to Port and makes the same signal. The two boats collide doing substantial damage to the fibreglass cruiser. The responsiblity and any liability is

1) The first boat who gave an incorrect signal

2) The second boat who tried to pass on the 'wrong-side'

We always give one long blast when approaching a blind bend/bridge, not once yet have we received three short in reply, had numerous near misses where the oncoming boat either didn't know what it meant or chose to ignore our signal, I have RYA day skipper, yacht master, ICC, cevni, power boat 1 & 2 & boat mans licence all the sound signals are drummed into the learning, disobey them on the French canals & You could find yourself in serious problems. I believe every one should be aware of the rules as they are there to encourage safety, its a shame that some folk believe that because they have been boating for many years they don't need rules. Take care out there folks.

Perhaps you both blew a long blast at precisely the same time and for exactly the same duration, therefore neither of you heard each other. unsure.png

So coming to a blind bend/bridge I give a long blast what if I then get one back, does anyone have priority? Normally I just stop and let the other through as can't tell who is closest, but what if I meet someone who does the same.

Have to stop using three beep on the horn to order a cup of tea from the galley slaves. crew.

I have a sign which simply says TOWING which I fasten to the headlight stand when required. It is the size of a car numberplate. I notice the boat in the photo doesn't appear to have such a warning available to oncoming boats.

For canal purposes, two blasts on the horn means it is my intention to pass wrong side no matter what she says. If I received two blasts from an oncoming boat, provided I was able to do so, I would be immediately altering course so I think we would both be in trouble.

George ex nb Alton retired

George, I Know the person under discussion here, when they are actually towing their boat they have a sign that is approx. 3ft x 1.5ft written in bold letters TOWING. But they get fed up with people asking if this is the boat name. And would it not be great if every one was as well versed with all the bye laws of the waterways as some on here think that they are?

Pykebird

I understand your frustration but it is not your fault that 'they' do not understand.

I still use sound signals and will continue to do so.

" Did you give the correct audible warning?"....Yes Mi, lord. sleep.png

I too always give sound signals for exactly the reason Keith gave.

Phil

Taught by Tam and Di

1) 2 hoots passing on the non chimney side

2) 5 short hoots. You clearly have no idea what you are doing. Clearly by default neither do I. I am hooting to get the business over and done with and to comply with maritime law. Now I will hit you with a large passenger boat. Have a nice day.

Was planning on a long and two shorts on the oxford today when the engine went out for no reason, but couldn't be bothered to delve in the cabin ( cabin not back cabin or boatmans cabin) for the klaxon which was buried somewhere. So I just wandered into the engine hole and started the engine again. That's why I don't do tidal or bumpy stuff.

Its always the French that are different - (some years ago when we were lumpy water boating) a friend went over to France, flew the correct flags, did everything correctly, customs etc etc and when he came to leave they wouldnt let him as he had no sextant ("its the rules you know"), he had two independant GPS systems - not acceptable, the battery may be flat, he had two independant batteries / electrical circuits - not acceptable.

He had to go to a chandlers and buy a cardboard sextant. That was acceptable.

France - a beautiful country spoiled by the French

laugh.png - except in the case of CEVNI as it originates from the Rhine commission and the UNECE who got the code drawn up for all the interconnected continental countries by the Inland Waterway Transport Committee in Brussels.

Tam