What to look for on a project boat?

Zig Zag

Featured Posts

Thanks for all advise.

Not best of days viewing. yeah it was on apollduck. And as I say I'm no boat expert, but I'm guessing when you look down by the floor and you see a hole that there's day light through it, that's not a good sign! Grrrrr.

Nah was a joke really, needs to be scraped. after looking at a few "project" boats today, I think "project" is not what I was thinking off.

I need to find something that's sound and has a good hull, then if it's dated and not what we want inside, fine I'll do my thing.

Think project in the narrow boat world was different then I had in mind.

That sounds familiar

Project is such a variable description. It means it needs work of some kind, something between 'The paint and varnish are a bit shabby' to 'It's just a fibreglass hull with cracks'

We also looked at fixer-uppers as a starting point and saw some dreadful things. Why would I want to buy a boat with the previous owners toothbrush and paste in the bathroom? Then we decided to look at almost anything, including boats we really couldn't afford. This helped us to know what we really wanted

Welcome to the ups and downs of boat buying. Now you're in trouble - somewhere out there is a boat that is looking for you. Give it time

Richard

Thanks for all advise.

Not best of days viewing. yeah it was on apollduck. And as I say I'm no boat expert, but I'm guessing when you look down by the floor and you see a hole that there's day light through it, that's not a good sign! Grrrrr.

Nah was a joke really, needs to be scraped. after looking at a few "project" boats today, I think "project" is not what I was thinking off.

I need to find something that's sound and has a good hull, then if it's dated and not what we want inside, fine I'll do my thing.

Why don't you go round the boatyards and ask them? If you want a project boat, it's a good place to look, there will occasionally be something forgotten that is never going to make it onto an Apollo Duck ad.

Got two friends who bought narrowboats that had been in bad fires, they ended up on hardstanding at the boatyard and were for sale after the insurance company had finished with them. Both had working engines and barely any structural damage to the hull.

Yeah was worth the look, just a shame it was all the way in Nantwich.

We'll get one I know. Just have to keep looking.

Couple of marina brokers I saw added me to there malling list today so will what comes along.

Oh and thanks good shout about looking on here, will do that!

Edited by The zig zag

Your project might turn up in the most unexpected place. I have seen narrowboat shells in the weirdest places. Keep looking and goodluck boat.gif

Yep, boats find you in the strangest places

Richard

"Let's face it" You have no idea of my capabilities and standard of work. Just because I don't know what to look for in the structure of the boat has no relevance to my standard of finishing work. Just cuz your first attempt may look like a "dogs breakfast" doesn't mean all of ours would.

Be aware, all work you do, will have to be up to Boat Safety Scheme standard. Or with a sailaway, R.C.D standards.(+B.S.S standard)

A lot of homework!

Well worth doing for the right boat.

Good Luck

Bod

Thanks for all advise.

At least you've found your focus in one hit!

In the boating world (not only canal boats) Project = a wreck.

Wrecks live / die on Apoloduck and at some well known brokers.

There's a lot of 'pressure' from folks looking for a cheap liveaboard, that a marginal project boat may get snapped up quickly.

Good luck (or hopefully), judgement.

There is, or was, a boat with potential, moored outside the facilities at Sutton Stop near Bedworth. It's 38ft, think they are hoping for 10-12k for it.

It needs the paint stripping off and re-doing and work doing to the interior.

If the ad on the door is honest, it's had all the metal below gunwales repalced

I have a few pics on my phone, I guess this is when I have to learn to put a photo on here.

Might take a while as my internet signal here is rubbish and I'll ned to setup a filckr account etc.

Rob

Given up with the whole flickr thing. Here's a link to the pics on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/p6rob/media_set?set=a.10152324159447347.1073741827.816812346&type=3

Rob

I think this link should now work. Not sure if the boat is still there, or if it's been sold, as I haven't been back there recently.

Rob