Things to remember before starting your engine

RLWP

Featured Posts

Number 1/. Turn on the fuel.

If you fail to do this, you'll end up having to bleed your BMC 1.8 in Hatton top lock in a hurry

Number 2/. Unscrew the banking cap from your roof top exhaust

If you fail to do this, your Russell Newbery will start, run for about fifteen seconds and then stop. At first you will think you haven't bled the diesel system properly. Next attempt you will be surprised when a cloud of black smoke pops out of the air filter. If you are unlucky, the engine will turn backwards and the starting handle will try to break your leg. After bleeding the system five times, remove the cap, releasing the built up pressure and the engine will start

Any more?

Richard

Do people turn off their fuel routinely?

I don't, should I?

I certainly so.

And like Richard, I turn too mine back ON slightly less frequently than I turn it OFF, with equally predictable results. blush.png

And when you use a exhaust cap that is an old paint can which is a just tight fit on the exhaust upstand sticking through the roof, the results of failing to take it off are slightly different. :D

MtB

Number 2/. Unscrew the banking cap from your roof top exhaust

If you fail to do this, your Russell Newbery will start, run for about fifteen seconds and then stop. At first you will think you haven't bled the diesel system properly. Next attempt you will be surprised when a cloud of black smoke pops out of the air filter. If you are unlucky, the engine will turn backwards and the starting handle will try to break your leg. After bleeding the system five times, remove the cap, releasing the built up pressure and the engine will start

Any more?

On the other hand, if your roof top exhaust isn't blanked by a screw cap, but uses one of those former Calor gas bottle caps, still remove it.

The sound of it crashing down on to the steel roof milliseconds after the engine fires up is really rather disconcerting.

(At least so far it has always managed to stay on the roof!)

And when you use a exhaust cap that is an old paint can which is a just tight fit on the exhaust upstand sticking through the roof, the results of failing to take it off are slightly different. biggrin.png

MtB

I have lost a couple of tins like that

Number 1/. Turn on the fuel.

If you fail to do this, you'll end up having to bleed your BMC 1.8 in Hatton top lock in a hurry

Conversely, when bleeding the high pressure fuel system, don't assume that if.....

1) The engine is cold

2) You haven't operated the heaters

3) The speed control isn't significantly wound on

4) You actually have the supply lines to two of the injectors "cracked" open

and you turn the engine on the starter motor, that there is not a chance in hell it can start.

Our BMC 1800 did, and continued to run very eratically on two cylinders, whilst spitting fuel out at the injector pipes for the other two.

With a BMC 1.8 that is particularly smoky on start up is is vital to wait until a couple of well dressed pedestrians are passing by and in direct line with the exhaust. That accounts for the filthiest look I've ever had from another human being and believe me, that's some achievement.

I keep the rain out of the vertical exhaust with a loose-fitting cap. Forget that and it just blows off and bounces back onto the roof, giving me a fright.

The first one I had was a steel tin, painted, but is went rusty where the paint was bashed off from landing on the roof, so I replaced it with a stainless affair. That won't go rusty, but if it ever bounces off the roof into the cut, I won't be able to get it back with a magnet. It's all about compromises, is engineering.

MP.

I keep the rain out of the vertical exhaust with a loose-fitting cap. Forget that and it just blows off and bounces back onto the roof, giving me a fright.

The first one I had was a steel tin, painted, but is went rusty where the paint was bashed off from landing on the roof, so I replaced it with a stainless affair. That won't go rusty, but if it ever bounces off the roof into the cut, I won't be able to get it back with a magnet. It's all about compromises, is engineering.

MP.

This presumably is why you see boats that have them with a length of chain attached that restricts how far they can ever be away from the exhaust port.

I wouldn't routinely turn off the fuel on any diesel engine, it's asking for trouble.

Re forgetting to take off an exhaust cap, I remember somebody forgetting with a big air start 2-stroke, exhaust about 8" dia, cap was a catering coffee tin and a whole house brick. Luckily there was nobody on deck when the brick returned from its voyage into space!

Tim

Old gas bottle caps are good as they don't rust through and don't blow off and you can get them back with a magnet. I've also used a cut down 3" shell casing for a vertical exhaust but not magnetic do tied it on with an eye bolt where the fuse was.

I've had 5 cast iron gas bottle valve caps on the magnets over the years so people do forget !!

This presumably is why you see boats that have them with a length of chain attached that restricts how far they can ever be away from the exhaust port.

REGINALD's chimney cap reaches an altitude of about 20-30ft I estimate, from the delay between turning the engine over and it crashing back onto the roof. Except it is now in the bottom of Clacutt marina.

MtB