Kings Cross London, landlubber/boater debate

NigelMoore

Featured Posts

I actually thought there were occasional positive comments from the flat dwellers, it wasn't all negative.

It seemed to be the ones that had lived there a while that tolerated the boats better.

Something abut smoke, though. I notice that the boats here that use the cleverer stoves always seem to have a haze of smoke coming out of their chimneys, while once I get my cheap and cheerful pot bellied stove running, all that comes out of the chimney is a heat haze, except for a minute or two when I add fuel. We're all burning the same mix of wood and coal based fuel off the coal boat Maybe part of the smoke problem is the way people manage their stoves?

http://callylabourcouncillors.org.uk/2014/04/08/anti-social-behaviour-by-a-minority-of-boat-owners-is-causing-misery-on-the-cally-section-of-regents-canal/

It seemed to be the ones that had lived there a while that tolerated the boats better.

Something abut smoke, though. I notice that the boats here that use the cleverer stoves always seem to have a haze of smoke coming out of their chimneys, while once I get my cheap and cheerful pot bellied stove running, all that comes out of the chimney is a heat haze, except for a minute or two when I add fuel. We're all burning the same mix of wood and coal based fuel off the coal boat Maybe part of the smoke problem is the way people manage their stoves?

I think the smoke problem is the density of boats, combined with high rise buildings. There is a lot and it has nowhere to go, it hangs in the air.

Monitoring boats in the marina very little visible smoke so the question is what fuel are they using ?

Generator engine running times may need to be looked at and revised BUT who will police conformity with the rules ?

Monitoring boats in the marina very little visible smoke so the question is what fuel are they using ?

Generator engine running times may need to be looked at and revised BUT who will police conformity with the rules ?

If they're burning the plane tree mentioned in another story about this location, unseasoned, wet wood. It's also possible to buy normal domestic coal more cheaply than smokeless fuel, and if you are "cruising", legal to burn it even in a smoke control area.

Generators are allowed under CRT rules between 08:00 and 20:00, we all know that. The problem in London seems to be that local residents object to *any* running of generators and engines. Islington council have been reported elsewhere as deploying their own wardens, telling people to turn off their generators and engines, in one case after the engine had been running for only a few minutes during the permitted period.

I also believe that one reason boats congregate in certain areas in London is that working water points and toilet emptying points are few and far between, so provision of more water points may help spread the boats out. I doubt that it would be viable to provide electricity points on visitor moorings, but I could be wrong.

The basic problem, though, is that many people who can't afford to rent or buy accommodation on land have found that if they claim continuous cruising, and bridge hop (Often complying with the guidelines) within central London, they can live more cheaply on the cut. As they are the ones who need to run generators to see what they're doing at night, and burn stuff to keep warm, these are the ones that are mainly being complained about, and even one smoky stove or noisy generator will lead to complaints from nearby people who have paid a lot of money for a canalside property in the hope of somewhere peaceful and free of pollution to live in the city. They don't bother to politely speak to the offender directly, they just moan to the council and CRT about "These noisy, smelly boaters". On the other side, of course, are the boaters who take a polite reprimand the wrong way, and get aggressive...

Taken from the quoted link:

"But we do want stretches of the canal kept clear of moorings so that other canal users can carry on doing the enjoyable things historically we have done for years: fishing, feeding the ducks or just enjoying proximity to the water. It is one of the Trust’s principal objects that it maintains the canals for (a) towpath walking and b “recreation or other leisure-time pursuits of the public in the interest of their health and social welfare”"

Ahem. Excuse me.

And what about those what have shelled out their hard earned on a CaRT licence for their boat?

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr angry.png

Edited by Victor Vectis

To be honest I have very little sympathy for the land dwellers, boats were there before them .

Why don't I live by the canal towpath , because I don't want dog walkers and dog shit past my home and possibly on my property. Rather than buy a canal side property I live elsewhere, I thought about it and chose my home accordingly taking into account my particular niggles.

Why do people move to the country and complain about mud cows and tractors and cockerels. It does my head in .

I have posted this before, I served on my local council when I lived ashore in Lincolnshire and you would not believe the number of newbies to the village who would complain to the council about, birds crapping on washing,squirrels raiding gardens and rabbits getting stuck into their veggie gardens. Our stock reply was "welcome to the country".

Phil

How old are the aerial views on Google Maps? They show very few boats moored other than at Islington VMs. Some boats below City Road Lock and a few at Hackney.

When we crossed the Channel by Eurostar in late 2012 there were boats moored 2 abreast at St Pancras but I put that down to the Olympics. However, watching Rev on the iPlayer earlier in the week boats were moored 3 abreast at Hackney. When we were there in 2009 there was no problem mooring.

We were hoping to pass through, slowly, this winter but will we be able to moor. Or is it a case of mooring 4 abreast! With no stove or generator!

Edited by pearley

It depends, it can be very empty somewhere or totally packed out, it's not human nature to evenly spread out. I went to pick some hexagrip up from Kings X last year and it was 2 or 3 deep right up to the bridge hole.

As for wondering where to moor, just come! Be friendly, post on the Facebook group and there will be people welcoming you and looking out for you.

Now that cell block H is almost finished at Brentford I am sure we will hear more of this at our end, I mean, it's not like Brentford has an important boating history or anything...

JYhltOi.jpg

well, don't blame me, when i came past in June and October it wasn't there. I blame the zombies,

To be fair to the resident, he or she does say

So you can see the problem of nil enforcement of existing laws and the failure to provide barge users with adequate mooring, electrical power points, staged and assisted introduction of electric motors, refuse collection – and so on.

(my bold)

Iain

I recently went London to a talk at Kings Reach tower, Kings Cross and saw the boats moored there, very picturesque and no smoke or noise. It made for pleasant viewing whilst supping vino outside. It's as everywhere a minority can tarnish image for all. There are boaters who burn anything, keep engines running don't give a dam just as in rural areas there are individuals who bonfire any rubbish polluting atmosphere. A neighbour used to wait for a beautiful sunny day and set fire to a heap of whatever, creating dense fumes and ignored any reasonable requests. I walked along towpath near Debdale and suspended from bushes were bags of dog crap. What I am trying to say in my waffling way is where ever you are there will be a minority who don't give a toss about how their behaviour impacts on lives of those around them. These individuals can then wreck it for all.

I will get off soap box now, rant overjudge.gif