Beacon Boats remnants

Ally

Featured Posts

Lexicon, not sure, I'll have a look, if there is it will only be one I think. We weren't a business to hold large stocks, but bought boat by boat mostly, excepting generic stuff like cable etc, as they were quite bespoke boats. That said....how have I ended up with 3 spare fire blankets????

On the basis that almost everyone who reads this thread would dearly love to go to Ally's workshop and have a look, rummage and snoop around ... and if they did they would surely find something they could make use of I have suggested to her that she just take some random pictures of "stuff" on the basis that many people can't actually get there, or can't get there yet, or are trying to avoid going because they know they will find something they want but they can't afford. Well if you are in the last category look away now.

Otherwise feel free to browse the following pictures, enlarge them on your computer to take a good close look at labels, in the corner of the boxes or the shadowy thing in the corner that you can't quite make out. If you see something that you might be able to use then you can ask for more details about it and hopefully Ally can match "stuff" with "new home" and a few £££ can change hands, or a barter deal can be made (or you can put your deserving case to Ally - she is a soft touch ... but she needs to be able to feed that Puppeh of hers so don't lay it n too thick) and everyone is happy

1510347_10203651314588626_47078844809629

1607019_10203651315628652_43603388180516

There used to be a photo of a vice here but it has been sold so I have taken the photo away to avoid confusion

1495530_10203651317428697_11918666370472

1901295_10203651317988711_54101915547500

10154969_10203651318548725_7389417309170

1013816_10203651319028737_12747472612414

Edited by cheshire~rose

You're doing a great job!

It's sad to reflect, though. that what we're looking at are the remnants of what was a thriving business until misfortune overtook one of the owners. It must break your 'eart doing this, Ally.

Edited by Athy

Can you stop posting piccys. Each tine I look I see 'stuff' I would make use of.

I like the 'plate rack' for instance. How much would that be please. PM if you like. Plus the timber looks tempting as I am about to do some alterations to the boat.

Martyn

Edit. Are visits acceptable?

Edited by Nightwatch

Can you stop posting piccys. Each tine I look I see 'stuff' I would make use of.

I like the 'plate rack' for instance. How much would that be please. PM if you like. Plus the timber looks tempting as I am about to do some alterations to the boat.

Martyn

Edit. Are visits acceptable?

I also like that - I asked for dimensions and got the reply " 25x14x8" think it's more of a letter store thing? Slots are 9 1/4 high. Pine"

I don't know if that affects your desire to own? I am now trying to think how/where we can use it. I have not asked price - maybe I should but I just want it!

I know Ally would be up for people visiting (by appointment)

Thanks for that. It looks a lot larger. Bit, like you I would make use of it and would like it. Depends on cost.

Chatting to my leader to see if we can get up there this weekend.

I will contact Ally when I get agreement.

Martyn.

It is incredibly sad!

Having been in the situation of closing down a business myself many years ago I kind of understand what Ally is up against. Beacon Boats have been extremely supportive of my favourite charity (Chesterfield Canal Trust .. just in case anyone was in any doubt) and so I am trying to help - but from a distance. I asked Ally to take the pictures so it might tempt a few people to visit or people might see just the thing they need and get in touch. It is a very easy thing with a smart phone to snap and upload to Facebook. Once the pics are hosted there I can grab them and share them here while Ally gets on wth the sorting out. I am sure she will asnwer peoples questions when she stops to take a breath so just keep adding to the wishlist for the time being and if people are planning on making a trip to visit Ally perhaps they could let us know here along with what area of the country you are travelling from. That way if Joe Bloggs who lives 4 miles down the road from you spots something they could use but it is too far away for them to travel you can help out?

I am sorry if people find viewing the photos sad but it would be even sadder if all this perfectly useable stuff ended up in a skip because Ally did not have the hours in her day to try and find new homes for it.

If a little bit of the business finds it's way into the fabric of your boat then that will help empty the workshop and ease the pain that the this entire process can cause.

• Greenie 1

I am sorry if people find viewing the photos sad but it would be even sadder if all this perfectly useable stuff ended up in a skip because Ally did not have the hours in her day to try and find new homes for it.

That would indeed be even sadder.

You have a greenie. My thought entirely.

Hopefully, I will be visiting Ally in the next couple of days. Traveling from Portsmouth area, probably staying in Cropredy area overnight.

I can confirm plan once I hear back from Ally.

Are we going to fight over the rack?

Martyn

• Greenie 1

No Martyn

you have first dibs on the rack. We need to spend money on more practical things for our boat first (things that Ally can't help with) the day when my wish list does not overlap so far with my need list I can start eying up nice things like that :)

I didn't really mean 'fight' in the true sense of the word. I would lose, believe me.

I'm happy to step back for you, if you change your mind. I think! I have a place for it if I can get my act together and become a carpenter.

Martyn

I'm back in 'puter land briefly. Open to offers on things, but I can't get to the workshop easily this weekend. I will be there all day tomorrow though, and next week, continuing the sorting. Having had all my weekends swallowed up over the last few months with that last build, I'm taking my opportunity to catch up with much neglected elderly mother, and friends, and other stuff I have to do that's been left undone recently. So this weekend is almost impossible, sorry folks. Happy to arrange times ahead though. I'm thinking of the open day...or maybe weekend, the weekend of the 10th of may.

Still not found any mushroom vents, though oddly I found a base for one....the two brass ports have now gone.

It is a hard task, ok whilst doing it, but welling up a bit as I follow this thread and think about it. Best to keep my head down and busy!!

Edited by Ally

So sorry, Ally - I only heard a couple of weeks ago that you had to give up the business. You were one of the first people I met from the forum and the drinks are on me when we next meet. Unfortunately (or fortunately for my wallet) I will be unable to get to your open weekend).

best of luck with your plans, whatever they may be.

Yes, can help you out on fire board I think smile.png

Hi Ally. How much would you require for the fireboard? Could you post by any chance to Barton Marina? It may be cheaper for me to have it delivered by a courier rather than drive the 60 mile round trip, what with my car having a bit of a thirst!

I quite understand if you didn't want too get involved in posting it, what with the sad situation.

Thanks Jamescheers.gif

Ally can I put my name down for that grinder and the whale pump? I'd like a look at some of those hole saws too.

I think I'll have to come over for a rummage if that's all right - next week though. Would that be ok?

Hi Ally. How much would you require for the fireboard? Could you post by any chance to Barton Marina? It may be cheaper for me to have it delivered by a courier rather than drive the 60 mile round trip, what with my car having a bit of a thirst!

I quite understand if you didn't want too get involved in posting it, what with the sad situation.

Thanks James:cheers:

Make me an offer if you want some, not looking for loads!! Of course...there may be other bits you might fancy? I don't think fireboawrd would post too well to be honest, but I dare say someone near there could collect for you perhaps? I could possibly get it to Mercia next week via someone?

Bazza, not sure yet but cheshire roses t'other half was expressing an interest in the grinding wheel earlier, if not, its yours. The pumps are all delivery pumps and untested so we'll either test them or expect little if anything for them. Next week after Monday is fine, please let me know when though.

Please can EVERYONE grab a pen and paper and walk throught their boat from stem to stern making notes of all those little things they have been meaning to fix/improve/upgrade. When you have done that go outside and do the same then post your wish list here and lets see if Ally has it

Erm... how long-a-shopping list can you manage!? :D Trouble is it's kinda specific.

Front to back of boat...

1. Faced ply or T&G to line sides under gunwales throughout in any colour wood

2. Cream vinyl to upholster dinette cushions

3. Black gloss tiles for galley

4. Small diameter metal flue trim for ceiling

5. Cork flooring

6. Spare replacement bulbs for fluorescent tube lighting

7. Replacement for cracked bathroom sink

8. Shower pump

9. Navy blue gloss boat paint

10. Cream gloss boat paint

11. Bilge paint