Yale Lock

Traveller

Featured Posts

In course of purchasing an Nb, which has now had a good survey. Only issue for me is the side doors are secured by a Yale (think it is Yale) lock but the previous owner (now deceased) has lost the key. Are there any options other than drilling it out?

Thanks

Colin

If you can open the doors you can usually get at the two screws that hold the rear latch on - they're usually on the side of the latch facing the striker plate. Undo these and the rear of the lock will come off. What you should then see is a small metal plate with 2 screws with a flat metal rod between them - the metal rod operated the latch. Undoing the two screws (they'll be quite long) will allow the lock barrel to be withdrawn from the door. You can buy replacement barrels - reverse the process to fit the new one. You may need a hack saw to shorten the flat metal rod.

Edited by Chalky

Are they double doors? if so I would assume the second door is secured with shoot bolts inside. The doors could possibly with a bit of force be sprung open with the second door unbolted. A second thought can you slip the latch with something like a knife or scraper from the inside?

Its opening the doors that is the issue. I can pull all the bolts for the doors and hatch but still the doors won't open - they move about an inch but won't open. Maybe I shall have to go for it with a hefty shove but it might break something!

Edited by Traveller

Yale type lock barrels are easily changed by unscrewing the lock body from the inside of the door. You don't need to buy a new lock body, just the barrel with keys.

Not necessarily true (depending on the type of lock - Yale make MANY different kinds!) It might need turning about 15 deg with the key.

Its opening the doors that is the issue. I can pull all the bolts for the doors and hatch but still the doors won't open - they move about an inch but won't open. Maybe I shall have to go for it with a hefty shove but it might break something!

In that case I'd recommend to get a locksmith out who can bump the lock and turn it to open, then replace the barrel with a barrel/key. In fact, given that the previous owner hasn't given you the key, one wonders where it is and it might be a good idea to change the locks anyway (as general advice for any new boat purchaser).

If you could post a couple of pictures from both the inside and the outside, we will have a better idea of which type of lock you have. If all else fails, a locksmith will be able to open it for you, but they do charge a lot!

Can you slip a credit card through?

when I locked myself out I did this and it took less than 10 seconds to get in angry.png

Also someone on the marina paid a locksmith £60 to come out and he did the same

Edited by exfire

Can you get at the door hinges to unscrew them from there?

The only way a locksmith could get me into my old hosue when I locked myself out was to drill a very small hole in the door and push a wire through that to spring the lock.

Edited by Arthur Marshall

Can't get to the hinges but there is some useful info here. I don't pick the boat up until Sunday so it is possible the key might be found by then. If not I shall try the card approach and failing that a locksmith.

Thanks

Colin

Edited by Traveller