Joelsanders "the angry boater"

gary955

Featured Posts

Can Joelsanders be given the freedom to draw our attention to his blog posts?

I know I can subscribe to his blog but there is often an interesting discussion on CWDF when he draws our attention to his musings (if you discount the whingings of the usual suspects that is!)

Joel himself seems ready to engage constructively with any critisism of his posts, his opinions or the way he interacts with others and that makes for a much more interesting discussion than the all too frequent dogma of so many threads.

Those who have complained about him and dont wish to engage could simply ignore him.

Edited by gary955
  • Greenie 2

If he has an interesting story to discuss then he can post it here and put a link to his blog in his sig, like plenty of other users here do. If he just wants free advertising for his blog, then he is being a bit cheeky and should just pay for some Google ads.

If he has an interesting story to discuss then he can post it here and put a link to his blog in his sig, like plenty of other users here do. If he just wants free advertising for his blog, then he is being a bit cheeky and should just pay for some Google ads.

His storys are often interesting to discuss but also very lengthy, making them a bit unweildy for a post. It's surely not a bad idea for him to bring an interesting topic to our attention so that those who may be interested can go and read it in order to discuss it here.

Just a thought.. I'd enjoy that and his blog is much more interesting than the usual travalogue type blog

His storys are often interesting to discuss but also very lengthy, making them a bit unweildy for a post. It's surely not a bad idea for him to bring an interesting topic to our attention so that those who may be interested can go and read it in order to discuss it here.

Just a thought.. I'd enjoy that and his blog is much more interesting than the usual travalogue type blog

Why can't he just have a link in his sig?

gary955, on 17 Mar 2014 - 12:50 PM, said:

I know I can subscribe to his blog but there is often an interesting discussion on CWDF when he draws our attention to his musings (if you discount the whingings of the usual suspects that is!)

Joel himself seems ready to engage constructively with any critisism of his posts, his opinions or the way he interacts with others and that makes for a much more interesting discussion than the all too frequent dogma of so many threads.

Those who have complained about him and dont wish to engage could simply ignore him.

Why not just subscribe to his blog (I presume you can) and then when he updates you should see the update.

AFAIK it doesn't need to be drawn to anybody's attention via, the forum.

So, is the rule that anybody can advertise their blogs as they wish, or only people that you think have interesting blogs?

What effect would it have on the forum if it were flooded with people advertising their blog?

One person advertising doesn't cause an immediate problem, but that is only because other people obey the rules.

How many boaters blog? Like, hundreds. You can't have one rule for one and one for another, so what if all the hundreds of the blogging boaters were permitted to post a new thread here each time they had a new post? What makes an interesting read is subjective, and individual; If I want to read blogs, the opinion/view/tales of one person or one boat's tenants, I'll read blogs. Many boat blogs are incredibly soporific in my opinion (which I would never share with the blogger in question unless invited, btw!), and I would find it incredibly tedious to read about each blog's update on the forum. Here, I want to read and engage with the forum platform.

If the person referred to in the OP wishes to engage the forum in his views and discuss them, post on the forum, not the blog!

Edited by Starcoaster

The way around this is for you to keep an eye on his blog then whenever a good subject crops up on it, start a new thread yourself here discussing the same subject. Then a link to Joel's blog post would not seem so far out of place.

MtB

OK fair enough.

Of course I can follow his blog but what I found interesting was others thoughtful reaction to his post's. It seems to me that his blog isn't really about boating in the way that Robert Persigs book wasn't really about motorcycle maintenence. His blog posts invite discussion in a way that most other blogs dont. Unusually he's not claiming to be right or insisting that others agree. Some find him obnoxious, some agree with him and some disagree but can recognise some of the traits that they dislike in themselves. The blog writer himself seems to consider all these opinions with equal weight and value.

I just thought that such discussions would make a change from the endless circular narrative of pump out v cassette or CC v marina mooring but I can see the argument that if you invite one to promote his own blog posts, then you invite all.

Perhaps MTB's idea is a good one.

To be honest I find his posts contrived, tedious, and boring, I don't read them.

Then how do you know?

OK fair enough.

Of course I can follow his blog but what I found interesting was others thoughtful reaction to his post's. It seems to me that his blog isn't really about boating in the way that Robert Persigs book wasn't really about motorcycle maintenence. His blog posts invite discussion in a way that most other blogs dont. Unusually he's not claiming to be right or insisting that others agree. Some find him obnoxious, some agree with him and some disagree but can recognise some of the traits that they dislike in themselves. The blog writer himself seems to consider all these opinions with equal weight and value.

I just thought that such discussions would make a change from the endless circular narrative of pump out v cassette or CC v marina mooring but I can see the argument that if you invite one to promote his own blog posts, then you invite all.

Perhaps MTB's idea is a good one.

Then how do you know?

He has a comments section on his blog, surely that would be the best place to discuss his blog posts...

I think the point is much simpler than a case of like, dislike, agree, disagree, find him funny, find hm obnoxious; most people here just don't care about it, or having any one blog highlighted to us. That's why many people disagree with new links being posted about the blog all the time, as that is not why we use the forum, to be funnelled into the audience of someone's personal show or musings.

I don't mean to sound harsh here, but the content of the blog is simply a blog, it's not a case of liking or agreeing with the content or not, it's the fact that the forum is not a blog or opinion piece or platform for any one person.

There are a great many writing boaters, many more hundred bloggers, lots of people have something to say, and some of these things are very valid. But the forum is not the vessel for this, unless it is a discussion; that is what a blog is for.

It's not that contraversial; it's a forum, and blog posts are not forum-style content.

And by posting links and spotlighting each new post as has been done so far, assumes that everyone does care, wants to have an opinion (pos or neg), or has feelings about the blog; and honestly, most people just don't.

Most folk just want the forum to be the forum.

Edited by Starcoaster

I've recently done a new blog post, with lots of pictures of my cute cat, if anyone's interested.

In all seriousness, the issue isn't that the topics are discussed- this is a discussion forum after all- but rather the linking to the blog post itself, which is against the spirit of the site rules, even if not quite against the letter- the forum in my opinion isn't just for regurgitating third party content.

However, if Joel wishes to start a topic whenever something takes his fancy as being worthy of discussion, then that of course is fine, as is discussing that topic. A link to the blog in the signature is also permitted. It would be a shame to lose this discussion, even if (or even, possibly, because) some do not agree with what is posted.

There's also the ignore function if you really can't tolerate it....

Edited by FadeToScarlet