Calcium Leisure Batteries

lewisericeric

Featured Posts

Does anyone know if these will be any good for deep cycling - leisure use?

http://www.tayna.co.uk/EXV115-Enduroline-Calcium-Leisure-Battery-P8283.html

I know on their site it is called a leisure battery but I was always under the impression that calcium batteries werent supposed to be used for deep cycle use?

Im not thinking of buying yet but it would be good to know as they are something i am considering, as they are allegedly better than wet /sealed lead acid batts?

Edited by lewisericeric

I had a set of four AC Delco lead/calcium batteries on my last boat. Best set I ever owned. Although sealed, they could be charged hard (up to 15.1 volts) and always dropped to virtually no current draw when fully charged (i.e. no gassing). Although I kept them longer than any other set (including an Atlantic crossing), and left them on shore power charger for extended periods unattended, they never gave me any concerns over shorting cells etc. unlike many others.

The "clean efficient power delivery" sounds like a major bonus, I am not keen on having dirty electricity all over my boat!!

I have heard that some batteries only use calcium in one of the plates which reduces the deep cycling limitation.

You could try asking Tanya but I would not hold much hope of a good answer. General forum wisdom is to get conventional (not sealed) batteries unless there is a good reason to do otherwise, such as very poor access.

Calcium makes good starter batteries.

.....Dave

I think almost all sealed wet batteries use calcium nowadays to reduce gassing.[/quote

That's what I was told by a supplier about a year ago. I was buying a starter battery at the time but the chap told me most of the batteries now have calcium.

Martyn

Edited by Nightwatch

Does anyone know if these will be any good for deep cycling - leisure use?

http://www.tayna.co.uk/EXV115-Enduroline-Calcium-Leisure-Battery-P8283.html

I know on their site it is called a leisure battery but I was always under the impression that calcium batteries werent supposed to be used for deep cycle use?

Im not thinking of buying yet but it would be good to know as they are something i am considering, as they are allegedly better than wet /sealed lead acid batts?

The 4 year guarantee looks good but without information about the terms & conditions, I would be cautious.

Unless it is difficult to access batteries or you don't want to bother keeping them topped up, there is a lot to be said for ordinary wet cell batteries – which are usually the cheapest option. Maintenance-free batteries can fail prematurely if they lose water from the electrolyte. Some have caps hidden under labels, so can be topped up.

I think lead acid batteries have either antimony or calcium in the plates, and calcium is the more modern thing. The chances are that most batteries have calcium these days, so there's possibly nothing special about the ones the OP is being offered, other than in the sales pitch.

I think lead acid batteries have either antimony or calcium in the plates, and calcium is the more modern thing. The chances are that most batteries have calcium these days, so there's possibly nothing special about the ones the OP is being offered, other than in the sales pitch.

There is no doubt that calcium decreases gassing and consequent water loss but I have read that it also makes the plates less robust.

Thanks for the input guy although it leaves me a little confused! Ha! I did email Tayna and they did confirm it is a deep cycle battery znd ishop gives a more detailed overview of them and how it is calcium based like most wet lead acid batteries but theyve done something to make the calcium more effective *marketing speel*?!

Whats the consensus on Trojan batteries? ive heard the name mentioned a lot?

http://www.tayna.co.uk/T-1275-Trojan-Battery-Deep-Cycle-T1275-P8673.html

Is it worth spending that much on one battery though? The link above is for a 150amp one though so its like having 4 x110amp batts....

I want as big a capacity as i can as i have a large solar array and want to actually make use of it by storing it (690w of solar)

Thanks for the input guy although it leaves me a little confused! Ha! I did email Tayna and they did confirm it is a deep cycle battery znd ishop gives a more detailed overview of them and how it is calcium based like most wet lead acid batteries but theyve done something to make the calcium more effective *marketing speel*?!

Is it worth spending that much on one battery though? The link above is for a 150amp one though so its like having 4 x110amp batts....

I want as big a capacity as i can as i have a large solar array and want to actually make use of it by storing it (690w of solar)

When I replace my batteries I shall certainly be replacing them with Trojans

However, I may be over-simplifying things (and therefore confusing myself) but the T-1275 works out at £1.43 per declared Ah

The T-105 works out at £0.97 per Ah

I'll be getting T-105's

Is it worth spending that much on one battery though? The link above is for a 150amp one though so its like having 4 x110amp batts....??????????????????

440Ah at 12V in the Enduroline costs £480 plus delivery from Tanya.

450Ah at 12V in Trojan T-105 costs about £430 inc. delivery, depending on where you buy from.

Unless I'm missing something, T-105s now seem like a no brainer, if you can make them fit your space, and you are OK with multiples of 225Ah.

Having said that, there are always cheap batteries at about £280 for 440Ah.

AS I said in another thread, last year: "It is important that your charging system is suitable ... the Trojan website says that their batteries should be charged at 14.8v every day (for a 12v battery) which is higher than the output from typical alternators. In a recent test that I did on behalf of an importer, daily charging to 14.4 volts results in sulphated Trojans within about 6 weeks

AS I said in another thread, last year: "It is important that your charging system is suitable ... the Trojan website says that their batteries should be charged at 14.8v every day (for a 12v battery) which is higher than the output from typical alternators. In a recent test that I did on behalf of an importer, daily charging to 14.4 volts results in sulphated Trojans within about 6 weeks

Interesting,i can see the logic behind the 14.8 volt figure.

When you state Every day,do you mean every day in cruising use or should Trojans be rested at a higher voltage?when a boat is moored unattended.?

CT

Interesting,i can see the logic behind the 14.8 volt figure.

When you state Every day,do you mean every day in cruising use or should Trojans be rested at a higher voltage?when a boat is moored unattended.?

CT

Trojans refer to a "Daily Charge" but I am pretty sure this is their way of saying "ordinary" charge as opposed to equalisation charge. I really don't think you have to charge them every day. I have an intuition, not based on any scientific measurements, that Trojans are a bit better than "cheapos" at been left for a while in a partially discharged condition. I certainly don't do the weekly 8 hour charge that is often recommended for off grid liveaboards.

However I totally concur with the above posts that say 14.8 volt charging is essential.

..........Davei

Cheers for that , youve saved me £400! My alternator and/or solars only charge at 14.4 at most. Are wet lead acid /calcium lead acid going to suit me more would you say at that charging voltage? What voltage is acceptable for charging for wet batts?

Trojans refer to a "Daily Charge" but I am pretty sure this is their way of saying "ordinary" charge as opposed to equalisation charge. I really don't think you have to charge them every day. I have an intuition, not based on any scientific measurements, that Trojans are a bit better than "cheapos" at been left for a while in a partially discharged condition. I certainly don't do the weekly 8 hour charge that is often recommended for off grid liveaboards.

However I totally concur with the above posts that say 14.8 volt charging is essential.

..........Davei

Thanks,will obtain some Trojans

The boats alternator outputs can be raised with the flick of a switch to 14.8 and beyond if necessary.

CT

Thanks,will obtain some Trojans

The boats alternator outputs can be raised with the flick of a switch to 14.8 and beyond if necessary.

CT

Mine cant :( i remember talking about it with the guy who fitted it that it will reach 14.4v at most :(

Mine cant sad.png i remember talking about it with the guy who fitted it that it will reach 14.4v at most sad.png

Talk to a good Auto elc. Most can be fitted with a different regulator or even a forward biased diode in the lead. If you post what alternator you have I am sure someone on here will tell you whats possible

Mine cant sad.png i remember talking about it with the guy who fitted it that it will reach 14.4v at most sad.png

This of course is exactly why people fit alternators controllers such as the Adverc and Stirling units.

Many forum experts say these are no longer required but they obviously are! They are not cheap but if you are going to pay someone to modify an alternator it might be a better long term investment to fit an external controller.

............Dave

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but even if i do get the new batteries, theres no way i could afford to have diodes etc fitted as well at this moment in time.

Does anyone out there know if a max voltage of 14.4 is ok for wet batteries?

Cheers!

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but even if i do get the new batteries, theres no way i could afford to have diodes etc fitted as well at this moment in time.

Cheers!

Alpha Batteries recommended 14.4V for my Varta Hobby Leisure batteries. 110Ah wet open lead acid.

Cheers!

The diode would cost about £1 but you would need someone who knows where to put it.There are posts about getting over 14.4volts if you need to

Full details

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=25083&p=417223