Another eviction

sueb

Featured Posts

3 months is different to yearly.

Anyway not been looking for 10 months.

We were offered annual terms but are only looking for a temp summer mooring.

Is this not just a case of you wanted a good city centre mooring but without paying the premium for it? Then stamping your feet when you can't get what you want.

There are and were other moorings to choose from you just didn't want to see that.

And you were also "evicted", or just unhappy with the Terms & conditions being modified ?

At first unhappy, then the term "your contract will not be renewed".

We were offered annual terms but are only looking for a temp summer mooring.

Is this not just a case of you wanted a good city centre mooring but without paying the premium for it? Then stamping your feet when you can't get what you want.

There are and were other moorings to choose from you just didn't want to see that.

Don't think for one minute that I buried my head in the sand.

I weighed up all of my options. When you have a small child the river ouse in winter is not a place to be.

ripon motorboat club does not take 57ft craft and thats the lot till selby.

I checked from leeds to lancaster.

Sheffield to selby.

out of the few places we were offered we chose to sell up.

At first unhappy, then the term "your contract will not be renewed".

Don't think for one minute that I buried my head in the sand.

I weighed up all of my options. When you have a small child the river ouse in winter is not a place to be.

ripon motorboat club does not take 57ft craft and thats the lot till selby.

I checked from leeds to lancaster.

Sheffield to selby.

out of the few places we were offered we chose to sell up.

You chose to live on the water with a child! You can't blame marinas for that.

I suppose it was the marinas fault you were evicted as well?

You chose to live on the water with a child! You can't blame marinas for that.

I suppose it was the marinas fault you were evicted as well?

Where was the part where I blame anyone. I merely told my story and then expanded on it when questioned.

It seems to me that you like to be right.

I chose my own journey through life and am not dead yet. So far so good.

Where was the part where I blame anyone. I merely told my story and then expanded on it when questioned.

It seems to me that you like to be right.

I chose my own journey through life and am not dead yet. So far so good.

What is your story again?

Oh yes. You were evicted from your marina for not paying the fees and that is somehow their fault.

You were then "forced" to sell the boat and move into bricks and mortar because you would have to travel.

Didums!

Poor you.

Why is it that those who choose to disregard their terms and conditions are also the ones who cry loadest about it when it backfires?

What is your story again?

Oh yes. You were evicted from your marina for not paying the fees and that is somehow their fault.

You were then "forced" to sell the boat and move into bricks and mortar because you would have to travel.

Didums!

Poor you.

Why is it that those who choose to disregard their terms and conditions are also the ones who cry loadest about it when it backfires?

I think you'll find that I left the waterways of my own accordance.

I didn't breach any terms of contract and therefore was not evicted. I was told that no residential mooring was available because I didn't fit the criteria, due to having been on a repayment schedule. This This was because I followed advice.

The moral of my story is; don't argue, just pay up or push off.

I think you'll find that I left the waterways of my own accordance.

I didn't breach any terms of contract and therefore was not evicted. I was told that no residential mooring was available because I didn't fit the criteria, due to having been on a repayment schedule. This This was because I followed advice.

The moral of my story is; don't argue, just pay up or push off.

I'm sorry but being told your contract is not being renewed is being evicted and that doesn't happen for nothing.

The moral of the story play by the rules and you will be fine.

Actually, being evicted does quite often happen for nothing. Perhaps NC hasn't lived much in rented accomodation on land... Well, not nothing I suppose, just the landlord wants to sell up, wants to clear out current tenants so higher rent can be charged, wants a place to put his best mate, changes the terms of the rental so you don't qualify any more (as seems to have happened in this case), decides you can't have a cat any more, or just a whim. That's the thing about tenancies - tenants have very few rights and bugger all security.

That isn't to say this happened in this case, but I don't think you need to be so aggressive about CTB. He says he was offered some places, and chose to sell up.

I think the attitude displayed on here at times is pretty heartless and uncaring at times.

CTB looked at the options and moved back on land because it worked best for his family.

So why the need to rant at BWML? If the best option was moving back ashore there should be no problem, no need to complain.

Actually, being evicted does quite often happen for nothing. Perhaps NC hasn't lived much in rented accomodation on land... Well, not nothing I suppose, just the landlord wants to sell up, wants to clear out current tenants so higher rent can be charged, wants a place to put his best mate, changes the terms of the rental so you don't qualify any more (as seems to have happened in this case), decides you can't have a cat any more, or just a whim. That's the thing about tenancies - tenants have very few rights and bugger all security.

That isn't to say this happened in this case, but I don't think you need to be so aggressive about CTB. He says he was offered some places, and chose to sell up.

That isn't what happened in this case though is it?

I shouldn't really be posting again because apparently my 4 or 5 comments and observations so far have been the most combatitive of the entire 20 pages! But hey ho!

It seems to me that a few regular posters are prepared to defend uscrupulous marina owners at any cost, even rather comically defending their right to catogorise a marina as inland despite not being connected to the inland waterways. Without any evidence whatsoever they have rubbished the character of the people being evicted from the Thames marina despite several posts from people who actually know them vouching for them. It's all rather puzzling. NC recently offered the fact that she had been offered moorings for her (presumably) twenty foot odd boat as evidence that moorings were available for a much larger widebeam at the same marinas. There's a perception that many here have a default position of predudice against people who live on boats, perhaps thinking that boating should be preserved only as a leasure pursuit for the well heeled. If you accept that boats can be a valid form of low cost housing then surely it's reasonable to suppose that people choosing that lifestyle should be afforded the same protection from exploitation enjoyed by people living in houses. Regulation of the power of marina owners can surely only be a good thing can't it? Boaters arguing for marinas to have cart'e blanche in the way they treat their customers is just like turkeys voting for Christmas

If you accept that boats can be a valid form of low cost housing then surely it's reasonable to suppose that people choosing that lifestyle should be afforded the same protection from exploitation enjoyed by people living in houses.

Since when has anything associated with boats been low cost? And surely when you take up a life style you accept the benefits and problems that come with that life style?

Since when has anything associated with boats been low cost? And surely when you take up a life style you accept the benefits and problems that come with that life style?

It's relative. I moved to Bristol to work a few years ago. I didn't know how long I'd be there so didn't want to sell up permanently but didn't want to stay in "diggs". A studio flat might have cost £120k to buy or £550 to rent. My boat was a great deal less than half that and is lovely. So for me it certainly is low cost, has many benefits and few problems. Why would I resent someone else being equally fortunate?

It's relative. I moved to Bristol to work a few years ago. I didn't know how long I'd be there so didn't want to sell up permanently but didn't want to stay in "diggs". A studio flat might have cost £120k to buy or £550 to rent. My boat was a great deal less than half that and is lovely. So for me it certainly is low cost, has many benefits and few problems. Why would I resent someone else being equally fortunate?

So you are using your circumstances to say that boating is cheap.

Now let me see. Pot, kettle and black spring to mind.

Did you forget what you wrote just one post ago?

I shouldn't really be posting again because apparently my 4 or 5 comments and observations so far have been the most combatitive of the entire 20 pages! But hey ho!

It seems to me that a few regular posters are prepared to defend uscrupulous marina owners at any cost, even rather comically defending their right to catogorise a marina as inland despite not being connected to the inland waterways. Without any evidence whatsoever they have rubbished the character of the people being evicted from the Thames marina despite several posts from people who actually know them vouching for them. It's all rather puzzling. NC recently offered the fact that she had been offered moorings for her (presumably) twenty foot odd boat as evidence that moorings were available for a much larger widebeam at the same marinas. There's a perception that many here have a default position of predudice against people who live on boats, perhaps thinking that boating should be preserved only as a leasure pursuit for the well heeled. If you accept that boats can be a valid form of low cost housing then surely it's reasonable to suppose that people choosing that lifestyle should be afforded the same protection from exploitation enjoyed by people living in houses. Regulation of the power of marina owners can surely only be a good thing can't it? Boaters arguing for marinas to have cart'e blanche in the way they treat their customers is just like turkeys voting for Christmas

Where is anyone arguing for marinas to have carte Blanche in the way they treat customers?

By taking a mooring at a marina and signing the contract you are agreeing to the terms and conditions. Where's the problem. Why don't some people seem to get this? If you don't like a term or condition find another mooring. It's quite simple really.

Done properly, a boat is not a cheap way to live. It is. however, easier to cut corners and be "on the edge" in a boat, but each liveaboard needs to decide for themselves if doing so is worthwhile. In the '70s, when I was young (And foolish. Yes, I admit it.), I cut many corners on the boat. Now, I don't want to.

In my case, for what the boat is costing me in total per month, I could rent similar sized accommodation on land..

Done properly, a boat is not a cheap way to live. It is. however, easier to cut corners and be "on the edge" in a boat, but each liveaboard needs to decide for themselves if doing so is worthwhile. In the '70s, when I was young (And foolish. Yes, I admit it.), I cut many corners on the boat. Now, I don't want to.

In my case, for what the boat is costing me in total per month, I could rent similar sized accommodation on land..

Our boat costs far more per month than our house all costs included.

Our boat costs far more per month than our house all costs included.

Mine too. That's probably because housing is astonishingly cheap nowadays.

Back in the late 1980s ISTR the mortgage costing over 50% of our joint income when interest base rates rose to 15%

MtB

So you are using your circumstances to say that boating is cheap.

Now let me see. Pot, kettle and black spring to mind.

Did you forget what you wrote just one post ago?

Where is anyone arguing for marinas to have carte Blanche in the way they treat customers?

By taking a mooring at a marina and signing the contract you are agreeing to the terms and conditions. Where's the problem. Why don't some people seem to get this? If you don't like a term or condition find another mooring. It's quite simple really.

Not sure I see your point in your "pot, Kettle" comment I thought I was clear in my view that boating could be a form of low cost housing!! How did you interpret that post?

You for one seem to be arguing that marinas should have cart'e blanche to double their fee's, change the definition of the moorings and, I may be wrong, but I thought that you were in favour of them being at liberty to decide that a tidal marina could be catorgorised as inland.

I think you probably belive that in a free market the market will decide what is resonable and that customers will drift away from the more expensive options and migrate to more resonable operators. I'm sure that model would work very well for you and for the majority of leasure boaters who could vote with their feet (or propellors)

Unfortunetly that is very much more difficult when your boat is your home and you feel rooted to an area because of work, schools or even friends and a little bit of empathy for people in that position wouldn't hurt you. Your'e "didums" comment to ctr was particularly nasty.

Not sure I see your point in your "pot, Kettle" comment I thought I was clear in my view that boating could be a form of low cost housing!! How did you interpret that post?

You for one seem to be arguing that marinas should have cart'e blanche to double their fee's, change the definition of the moorings and, I may be wrong, but I thought that you were in favour of them being at liberty to decide that a tidal marina could be catorgorised as inland.

I think you probably belive that in a free market the market will decide what is resonable and that customers will drift away from the more expensive options and migrate to more resonable operators. I'm sure that model would work very well for you and for the majority of leasure boaters who could vote with their feet (or propellors)

Unfortunetly that is very much more difficult when your boat is your home and you feel rooted to an area because of work, schools or even friends and a little bit of empathy for people in that position wouldn't hurt you. Your'e "didums" comment to ctr was particularly nasty.

You seem to think a lot but it's all nonsense.

What is written and what you read seem to be two completely different things.

I have no empathy for people who try to "beat the system" and then get caught out. Why should I? Like the vast majority of people I pay my way and when increases in costs occur I have the option to either soak them up or move on. It isn't the marina operators problem if I have ties to a particular area it is mine.

Shame more people don't seem to grasp this really.

The problem comes where people, despite the prophets of doom telling them that having a boat is NOT a cheap form of housing, decide that it actually is a cheap form of housing.

They have missed the point that whilst it may well be relatively cheap at a particular moment in time, it is also remarkably volatile, and can easily become very expensive.

They also miss the point that it lacks security in terms of whether what is available this year will be available next year.

Unfortunately, people get into living on a boat thinking that they know better, and that the naysayers were wrong. Then they find that some way down the line, things change.

That is unfortunate, but it is also what could have been predicted from day one, and whilst I feel for their plight I can't see that the responsibility for that plight lies anywhere other than with them for making the choice for a risky strategy.

They also miss the point that it lacks security in terms of whether what is available this year will be available next year.

Unfortunately, people get into living on a boat thinking that they know better, and that the naysayers were wrong. Then they find that some way down the line, things change.

In my case, I have a longer, reasonably guaranteed, tenure on my mooring than I could get on land. 3 years against a 6 month assured shorthold tenancy. This is also a disadvantage in some ways if I want to move during those 3 years, as there are penalties for early termination.