Shower tray

Featured Posts

I would also recommend a steel shower tray. On our current boat it's steel and doesn't flex at all, and the complete shower enclosure doesn't leak a drop of water. It's 12 years old now!

On previous boats we had plastic/fibreglass trays and the flexing eventually lead to annoying leaks.

Ken

Hi I'm thinking of installing shower tray and whale gulper pump (at the moment it discharges into bilge and uses bilge pump) . What stops the water from the outlet which is higher than the tray from draining back into the shower tray. I'm assuming the pump should be sited next to the tray?

The waste should be piped using flexi hose and the solution is to have a none return valve plus have sufficient hose lying in the bilge to accept any water not pumped out, at least this is the solution that I have read. My boat has a small sump which serves the same purpose

Phil

Nightwatch try Magnum Motorhomes they have large you may be able to cut down - its got very large flanges. Very helpful on phone (01472 453520) also website. Phil thanks for that I thought that would be the case but good to have it confirmed _ I didn't think of having extra hose to take spillage!

Nightwatch try Magnum Motorhomes they have large you may be able to cut down - its got very large flanges. Very helpful on phone (01472 453520) also website. Phil thanks for that I thought that would be the case but good to have it confirmed _ I didn't think of having extra hose to take spillage!

Thank you for that. They do a ever so slightly smaller square tray. There cost is £28, my fear would be that they may be very flimsy. It's given me ideas though.

Martyn

You could always have a shower tray fabricated in either steel or aluminium, and line it with a good rubber compound

Well, I waiting from a callback from my nieces hubby, maybe a nice stainless steel one would look good. Would have to anti-slip it somehow.

Martyn PS To include bulkheads.

Edited by Nightwatch

I see Gulper Pump has 3/4" or 1" pipe fittings. Will 3/4" hose be ok to fit on the inlet as well as the outlet - I'm planning on having the pump close to the shower tray? I'm going to see a "friendly" sheet metal worker to see what it will cost to have a tray made. I can then take a piece of ply as a pattern and have upstands which tuck and sikaflex behind the vinyl walls and can also bend horizontal to form the step. Any body any ideas on thickness?

You could always have a shower tray fabricated in either steel or aluminium, and line it with a good rubber compound

I've got it in the back of my mind to make a wooden OR steel shower tray, and line it with fibreglass and resin? I made a sculpture from fibreglass some years ago and found it really accommodating and easy to use. Just a thought???

• 9 months later...

Howdy folks

Just to re-visit this thread how about this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quadrant-800x800mm-Stone-Shower-Enclosure/dp/B00BM737OQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1420911817&sr=1-1&keywords=800+stone+tray

Sat directly on ply floor with access under sidewall as someone very cleverly suggested?

I have enough height for the door with about 60mm to spare.Total tray and door are 1890. I suppose there is an issue of the tray sitting high enough but I could build up on a plinth.

regards Ed

• 4 weeks later...

Perhaps you don't need a trap....

If you use the hull for trapping the water in a welded open box with slats above for the shower base and automatically pumped via a 12v pump system.....

Just a thought....

A terrible thought. Just plumb direct from shower tray drain hole to whale gulper.

Howdy folks

Just to re-visit this thread how about this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quadrant-800x800mm-Stone-Shower-Enclosure/dp/B00BM737OQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1420911817&sr=1-1&keywords=800+stone+tray

Sat directly on ply floor with access under sidewall as someone very cleverly suggested?

I have enough height for the door with about 60mm to spare.Total tray and door are 1890. I suppose there is an issue of the tray sitting high enough but I could build up on a plinth.

regards Ed

I'd rather have a deeper tray but if you have height limitations then it will help.

This is my shower. It's a deeper tray (originally from Wickes about 10 years ago). It just sits on the ply floor and is bedded in with loads of Marineflex. The surround is one from Homebase (£167 for 6mm glass) which I fitted a few months ago as a replacement for one that had seen better days. The walls are clad with a product called Showerwall.

P1010189_zps593f1b53.jpg

Edited by blackrose