Stove glass

peterboat

Featured Posts

On some types I think corrosion starts to form between the glass and the iron of the door.

Any gasket present protects the glass from this for a while, but as the corrosion worsens, it can be trying to distort the glass which can only flex so much before it cracks.

May not be your issue, but have certainly had this appear to be the cause.

Edited by alan_fincher

Good evening all,

Just put some wood on stove reclined sofa picked up puter and crack stove glass has 2 cracks in it!! what a bugger it hasnt fell to bits but what caused it? opened door and nothing near the glass sad.png its a mystery

Peter

I know this might not be much help now but, if you can get hold of a spare door for your fire all prepared, it's just a matter of swopping over the door and doing the repair when you have the time.

Usually it breaks at the most inconvenient time when the chandlers have shut and you are left without any heating or unsafe heating.

I have a spare and I'm just waiting for the glass to break nowbiggrin.png

we always keep a spare.......and you should be able to buy one from any good glaziers we did £5!

Are you sure this is stove glass and not just ordinary glass???? Stove glass is special stuff and even the cheapest eBay sellers charge more than that.

£25-£50 is about what you should be paying.

Keeping a spare glass is a really good idea but its no good keeping one that's no good!

"Fastglass" on the www are pretty good.

.............Dave

I went through two winters without ever cracking a glass, yet this winter,my third, I have had two crack within eight weeks of each other, both times during the night while I was asleep and I am as sure as I can be that no coals rolled into the glass and that nothing else hit them. Annoying!dry.png Mainly because I don't know why it happened, or how I can keep it from happening again.

Edited by Starcoaster

The kind you get from any glass suppliers for 5 or 6 pound is high temperature glass, the stuff sold as " stove glass " is toughned glass which cannot be cut, and is very expensive. I have used the former for years, what practicle difference it makes I don't know, it does the same job, but you don't cry when you smash it.

I got a Squirrel glass cut last week for £6.

Edited by onionbargee

Are you sure this is stove glass and not just ordinary glass???? Stove glass is special stuff and even the cheapest eBay sellers charge more than that.

£25-£50 is about what you should be paying.

Keeping a spare glass is a really good idea but its no good keeping one that's no good!

"Fastglass" on the www are pretty good.

.............Dave

My chandlers charge £16 for a 'Calfire' replacement glass for Morso 1410/40

I meant a spare door with glass already fitted not just a spare glass.

Edited by Androo

I solved this problem for a mate of mine by fitting a steel plate instead of the glass when it cracked. It's still there x many years on because not being able to see the fire matters less than keeping the fire inside the stove.

Their is a lot to be said for that. For many years I have had a bubble oil stove so broken glass has been no issue but now paying for it!!

Peter

I solved this problem for a mate of mine by fitting a steel plate instead of the glass when it cracked. It's still there x many years on because not being able to see the fire matters less than keeping the fire inside the stove.

In theory sounds practical. But, if the door is blanked out with a steel plate when, the door is opened for re fueling or, checking, fuel could fall out. With glass you have vision to act.

I like to see the flames on my stove it makes the boat feel warmer rolleyes.gif

Bring back Mica. Or those glass strip slats that old stoves like Parkrays ect and the some of the later Torgems had in their doors. Bust one, slide em along and pop another in. A heap of them could be bought very cheaply second hand from stove installers and scrap yards.

Edited by bizzard

And whilst I agree with you over the flames my other halves stove is on now and the glass is black!! sad.png

Peter

I agree the glass does tend to blacken especially when burning logs. Mine has an airflow wheel on the door supposedly to keep the glass clean but it doesn't seem to work very well.I'm forever cleaning the glass with a damp cloth!

I solved the issue of the glass I bought a new stove!! installed it thursday and friday its a true woodburner so should be better than the multifuel that was in before. I lit it yesterday just a small fire to make sure all was well and it heated water very well and produced more heat quicker Tonight will be the true test so fingers crossed :)

Peter