Pearsons Oxford Canal Companion

Emerald Fox

Featured Posts

Hi folks - I see the newest version is this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pearsons-Canal-Companion-Oxford-Thames/dp/0956277799/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1391721188&sr=1-1&keywords=pearsons+oxford+canal

1st Aug 2013 = publication date (light blue & dark blue front jacket)

I have the 7th edition 2008, updated 2011 (green & red front jacket)

Is there any point in getting the newer edition, are there significant differences?

Second question, as I'm here, is: are there any marinas at the Oxford end where one may park a boat for a few months? Thinking about going down the Oxford Canal as a first run in our new boat, are there any nasty things about the Oxford Canal? Things to avoid? Is there an etiquette for the Oxford Canal, things we should/should not do?

Marinas in Banbury area or at the top (isn't that Wigrams Turn?) of the Oxford (at GU junction) can be considered...

Thanks!

The Oxford is a nice canal. The only thing to check is the state of the Cherwell

One thing I noticed is that Oxford canal boaters interpretation of slowing while passing moored boats is quicker than mine

Richard

Second question, as I'm here, is: are there any marinas at the Oxford end where one may park a boat for a few months? Thinking about going down the Oxford Canal as a first run in our new boat, are there any nasty things about the Oxford Canal? Things to avoid? Is there an etiquette for the Oxford Canal, things we should/should not do?

Marinas in Banbury area or at the top (isn't that Wigrams Turn?) of the Oxford (at GU junction) can be considered...

Thanks!

Not many marinas close to Oxford - you could try Enslow (Rock of Gibraltar), or College Cruisers in the middle of Oxford, or some of the adjacent marinas on the Thames (eg Pinkhill, Medley Boat Station), but you are into Gold licence territory there of course. Cropredy is, as others have said, a good location. Spovereign Narrowboats in Banbury is walkable from the train station. Twyford Wharf narrowboats (Kings Sutton) have a few moorings, I think.

I agree it is a lovely canal.

• 1 year later...

The Oxford is a nice canal. The only thing to check is the state of the Cherwell

One thing I noticed is that Oxford canal boaters interpretation of slowing while passing moored boats is quicker than mine

Richard

Was just searching the forums for info about the Cherwell and found this. This is so very true. I can't believe how fast just about every boat has passed me since I took to the Oxford – sometimes so fast I don't even get a chance to read the name. It seems like only about 1 in 30 boats bothers to adjust speed at all!

Something to look out for if you haven't been on the South Oxford before (and even if you have) are the blind bends, in particular those at bridges 131 and 133. a slow approach and use of the horn is advised.

Those of us whose boats inhabit that remote region love the S. Oxford's wriggliness. The blind bends are a feature in themselves, but are often enhanced by bridges which are set at a jaunty angle rather than at 180 degrees to the cut. What fun these stretches must have been in the 1940s and1950s when two 70 foot working boats, both going hell for leather, arrived at such bends and bridges simultaneously.

One "advantage" of the canal being narrow and a bit shallow in places is that you can sometimes feel an oncoming boat before you see or hear it - ie a bow wave reaches you, and lifts your boat up a bit.

If this happens as you are approaching a blind bend you know what to do.

One "advantage" of the canal being narrow and a bit shallow in places is that you can sometimes feel an oncoming boat before you see or hear it - ie a bow wave reaches you, and lifts your boat up a bit.

If this happens as you are approaching a blind bend you know what to do.

Put the throttle down to get to the bend first!

(is that the right answer?)

The recently updated Nicholson Guide – Grand Union, Oxford & the South East would give you a different (and more detailed) slant on this and other southern waterways. Also available in electronic form for Kindle, iPad, iPhone and the like.

I didn't know you could get an electronic Nicolson's. Does it work with GPS so you can see where you are?

I didn't know you could get an electronic Nicolson's. Does it work with GPS so you can see where you are?

Sadly, no. It is effectively an eBook with the same levels of functionality.

However, eCanalmapp has GPS functionality and much more besides. It also originates from the same database as the Nicholson Guides. Available for both Apple and Android devices.

And I thought that was just my girlfriend walking from the cratch back to the kitchen!

I don't remember any blind bends - perhaps we woz going too fast to notice 'em?

I'm still on the North Oxford, but have been making liberal use of the horn so far.

I was thinking when I posted above particularly of being moored and noticing the speed at which boats pass. There do seem to be different norms on this canal about what count as acceptable speeds to pass moored boats, and it definitely aint just tick over.

I was just reminded of this thread since I'm moored here at Braunston and about ten minutes ago there was a massive crash as somebody took the bed at about 6 mph and ploughed into me midships. Amazingly doesn't look like any massive dents in the hull, just a few more long scratches; and inside just a few smashed glasses in the sink.

Experience of the North Oxford so far is that it's akin to being at a demolition derby.

Edited by AftApeth

Agreed, tick over speed seems non-existent on the Oxford.

We often have short term and sometimes longer term (up to 6 months at times) moorings available at Sovereign Wharf on Banbury. Booking is advised as we are only a small place and as mentioned above, good public transport links. Typically 15 mins by train to Oxford.

Options in Oxford itself are very limited, you'd be best trying Bossoms on Port Meadow, but that's not exactly central to town at all and its on the Thames.

Just checked nationalrail.co.uk, I thought 15 minutes was a bit iffy:

For this Thursday, Banbury to Oxford by train:

1319 - 1341 22 minutes

1355 - 1413 18 minutes

1419 - 1440 21 minutes

1455 - 1513 18 minutes

1508 - 1539 31 minutes (that's twice 15 minutes!)