I think I could do with some help!

junior

Featured Posts

Hi Junior,

I haven't forgotten you.

I am just putting the final touches to a day tank which I will be able to lend you.

We can then address the issues with the current tanks, clean them properly and checkout the whole system.

With regard to the other problems, I will be able to sort those out as well.

When are you back from France?

Simon.

The fuel tanks could be Junior's problem as I think he said one is still "Full" even though he has been running his engine quite a bit.

On our last boat, the alternator did not cut in until we revved the engine (in neutral) to maximum. It apparently had something called an exciter which was not easily excited. Could that be the problem?

On our last boat, the alternator did not cut in until we revved the engine (in neutral) to maximum. It apparently had something called an exciter which was not easily excited. Could that be the problem?

That's a maybe, this a common foible with some alternators, some are self exciting while other need a quick blast of revs to get them to do the business (like mine)

I don't know. I've been cruising for about 4hrs today and been up to max revs more than once. I've done nothing different to normal and it's always given me a full charge of the batts. The last two days it's given me nothing in the batteries and the amp meter didn't kick into life when the engine stated.

It's more likely to be the fact that both the alternator and belt are probably donkeys years old and are coming to/have come to the end of their life. But then again, it could simply need the belt tightning!

Just to say i empathise with you junior.... My boat has thrown me a 1001 problems and at times i think my anxieties have got the better of me.... I am just about getting over my worst fears and starting to relax a little about it all..... I still have a 1001 jobs to do just now they are less of a problem.... And the boat is still afloat after the winds and rain... The amount of times i thought i was going to walk up to a half sunk boat wasnt funny..... I've also had some cowboys (mainly non boaters fleece me which hasn't helped). Roll on summer and only 500 jobs!

Sadly after my mini-break to Denham over the last few day, I need to add a small oil leak on my gearbox to the list of problems and more importantly, my alternator hasn't charge my batteries today. I noticed it yesterday but thought I was being paranoid. Sadly the amp meter connected to the engine didn't move today and at the end of cruising the SmartGauge read the same as it did before I started.

I'm sure most of these things are very simple novicey mistakes I'm making, highlighted by the fact it looks like my list might be daused by my mooring lines being too tight!

Junior, just be assured that everyone has to start somewhere and its these things that we are learning now that will be the advice that we give to those coming onto the forum in years to come. There is no such thing as a daft question if its one you need to ask. Stop beating yourself up over what you call novice things, everyone has to start somewhere, we are only just learning ;))

• Greenie 1

Add to your list a new back slide, as the way you was thumping it on saturday I'm surprised its still in one piece. :) :)

Darren

Haha it's still in one peice. And I did the most perfect wind assisted wind today at Greenford and of course there was nobody there to see it.

I did come into the pub on Saturday night but it was rammed and I couldn't find you. I regularly nip up to Denham for the night so next time I'm up I'll give you a knock and buy you a pint to say thanks!

Haha it's still in one peice. And I did the most perfect wind assisted wind today at Greenford and of course there was nobody there to see it.

I did come into the pub on Saturday night but it was rammed and I couldn't find you. I regularly nip up to Denham for the night so next time I'm up I'll give you a knock and buy you a pint to say thanks!

Hey - watcha doing round Denham? know any decent pubs round there? we are in Harefield

Hey - watcha doing round Denham? know any decent pubs round there? we are in Harefield

I'm not there now I'm back 'home' a bit further south. I just went up there for a few days for a change of scenery and to charge my batteries. Although if it wasn't for Chimney Chain I'd probably still be there in the winding hole!

Swan & Bottle is good right opposite Denham Marina, as is the pub opposite Uxbridge Boat Centre but the name escapes me now. o you frequent the Coi Carp at Harefield?

We only moor in Harefield (and live in Carshalton).

Tried the Fisheries //Coy Carp (Coppermill Lock), Swan and Bottle, Old Orchard (gets very busy). Looking for others.

Not sure about the Horse and Barge..........

We only moor in Harefield (and live in Carshalton).

Tried the Fisheries //Coy Carp (Coppermill Lock), Swan and Bottle, Old Orchard (gets very busy). Looking for others.

Not sure about the Horse and Barge..........

As your from carshalton and enjoy the finer things in life you need to pop into denham village. Three nice old pubs and only 10min walk from denham lock.

Darren

As your from carshalton and enjoy the finer things in life you need to pop into denham village. Three nice old pubs and only 10min walk from denham lock.

Darren

Sounds a grand plan - three pubs in one night. NB Darren - have you got Bilster (sp) and just painted her?

No I've got Bicester and yes Me and my wife have spoke to you a coupe of times outside the swan and below denham.

Darren

Ok Darren I remember now.

There are so many historic boats around that area I get confused! :)

Hi Junior,

I have just finished welding up a 50 litre day tank which we can install in place of your current tanks while we investigate their murky depths.

If required, they can be removed and refurbished properly. We can also investigate whether or not they have a working balance pipe.

I will get down when you return from France.

When I was in a lock earlier I got the spirit level out and the boat was level'ish. I'm back on my home mooring now nad the noticable list is back. I got thinking that everywhere I've moored recently has been on the same side. When I next go out I'm going to moor somewhere the other way round to see if this makes a difference.

I think I've ruled out the possibility I'm sinking, but once you convince yourself of something it's difficult to relax. Hence me thinking I might just need an experienced eye to come and tell me I am being an idiot and that my lines were too tight!

jumior

Is your boat listing away from the bank? (i.e. is it sitting lower on the canal side). This could indicate that the bottom plate/chine might be aground. But if this is the case it should be fairly obvious as the boat will not rock sideways in both directions. As others have suggested, slacken the mooring lines, push the boat out and compare the difference!

When you have got everything else sorted some moveable ballast might be a good idea to trim the boat.

Hi Junior,

I have just finished welding up a 50 litre day tank which we can install in place of your current tanks while we investigate their murky depths.

If required, they can be removed and refurbished properly. We can also investigate whether or not they have a working balance pipe.

I will get down when you return from France.

Wow. Thanks! I'll send you a message when I'm on my way back next Tues! I've been warned to stock up on Coffee.

Hi Junior

you appear to be getting plenty of advice, Ime a marine engineer by trade (ex RN chief Mech). if you are planning a trip up to denham again and ime about , would be happy to help. Am moored in Harefield (damselfly)

shaun 07761091734

Hi Junior

you appear to be getting plenty of advice, Ime a marine engineer by trade (ex RN chief Mech). if you are planning a trip up to denham again and ime about , would be happy to help. Am moored in Harefield (damselfly)

shaun 07761091734

Thanks Shaun, I appreciate it. Do you want to edit out your phone number and I'll PM you if I need to? I think we met briefly in Paddington basin a few months back.

I'm ex RAF Regiment myself. Always used to take the piss out of the Navy boys until I got stuck in the ash cloud on my way back from Afghanistan in 2010. Having been told we faced a 2 week wait for a flight the HMS Albion rolled into town and crammed over a thousand of us onto her decks. 48hrs later we were docking in Portsmouth. Since then I'll not hear a bad word said against them!

Booties on the other hand.......

I'm sure most of these things are very simple novicey mistakes I'm making, highlighted by the fact it looks like my list might be daused by my mooring lines being too tight!

Especially after the way the list wasn't there when I was on board with the ropes tied to a bank higher than your gunwales.wink.png

I always leave a bit of slack in my mooring ropes just in case the level changes. About half an inch of clearance between the fenders and the piling makes me happy.

Hi Junior

shaun 07761091734

ok Shaun that explains why your boat is shining and pristine....... and all the ropes etc in good order. lol