top ten

paneuro

Featured Posts

just wondered if anyone could perhaps list the best and not necessarily the worst,but maybe the ones which a newcomer like myself would be wise to avoid,because of inexperience in knowing what to look for.in the last two weeks i've learnt so much about narrow boats i can't believe it! at the moment i'm looking at a boat with a hudson shell,but can't find out a lot about them,anyone any experience of these? thank you,phil.cheers.gif

nicknorman (member of this forum) is your man.

Give him a PM (private message) as he may not see this thread.

If it is a S M Hudson shell and fit out, they have a good name but not everyone likes their design, a bit like Marmite. wink.png

Edited by bottle

just wondered if anyone could perhaps list the best and not necessarily the worst,but maybe the ones which a newcomer like myself would be wise to avoid,because of inexperience in knowing what to look for.in the last two weeks i've learnt so much about narrow boats i can't believe it! at the moment i'm looking at a boat with a hudson shell,but can't find out a lot about them,anyone any experience of these? thank you,phil.cheers.gif

Brace yourself. I' not to clued about build quality/type /style but think your getting close to cassett/pump out teritory!

For what it's worth. Of the (many) boats I've looked at with serious intent, the Hudson build quality was very good but there was something about them that was more than I felt comfortable with.

nicknorman (member of this forum) is your man.

Give him a PM (private message) as he may not see this thread.

If it is a S M Hudson shell and fit out, they have a good name but not everyone likes their design,

a bit like Marmite.

wink.png

Wiv rivits

Edited by Julynian

Hi paneuro

We have a 3 year old Steve Hudson, very pleased with it. It has a very nice solid feel about it and handles well, though it is deep drafted and has a fairly heavy (though very precise) rudder. The hull is made with a lot of craftsmanship, not slab-sided like some. Out of the boatyard, the paintwork is very good although of course an older boat may have been repainted. Some folk don't like the bow shape but lots of people do. The standard boat had too low a ceiling height for me at 6'4" so we had to have a slightly taller one. Even though they are all the same shape on the outside, there are lots of different types of fitouts eg engine room with traditional engine and back cabin, or a more modern ones with under-boards jap engine, and of course a few owner fitouts. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Edited by nicknorman

The above comments all assume you are talking about a Steve Hudson built boat.

Kind of surprised you can't find out a lot about them, as one of the more prolific builders, and the boats are much discussed. (He leaves it tactfully at that!)

But just in case, there are also other Hudson boats, as there was another builder called Neil Hudson. I don't imagine its one of those, as I don't think they built a lot, but just be aware there are multiple Hudsons.

How they mount some of the electrical equipment is a bit questionable.....inverters lying on their backs under floors isn't really best practice.....

Cheers

Gareth

Our inverter certainly isn't mounted like that. In general the quality of electrical fitout is pretty good compared to some rat's nests I have seen!

SM Hudson seem have a good resale value. I don't think I've ever heard of a duffer from that yard. Try his open day, usually held in June or July every year.

Website here.

http://www.smhudson.co.uk/

Edited by mark99

thanks for the swift replies,the boat in question is called avalon,and is at pillings dock marina,it's on e,bay,and more photos are on there facebook page,if anyone can take the time to look at this and perhaps pick up on any negative or indeed positive things i would be very gratefull.help.gif

Research Pilings Dock Marina on this site now!

That boat does not look like a SM Hudson probably another "Hudson". Hence ignore my post above as it only refered to SM Hudson - not that boat you refer to.

Edited by mark99

thanks for the swift replies,the boat in question is called avalon,and is at pillings dock marina,it's on e,bay,and more photos are on there facebook page,if anyone can take the time to look at this and perhaps pick up on any negative or indeed positive things i would be very gratefull.:help:

Ah, that boat is most definitely not a Steve Hudson!

Our inverter certainly isn't mounted like that. In general the quality of electrical fitout is pretty good compared to some rat's nests I have seen!

It is on the ones with a mid engine room that I have seen...it might make the engine room look uncluttered but as it's right under the side doors I reckon it's a very poor installation. It means at the very least that the airflow through the unit isn't great let alone the chance of it getting wet etc.......a case of style over substance!

Cheers

Gareth

It is on the ones with a mid engine room that I have seen...it might make the engine room look uncluttered but as it's right under the side doors I reckon it's a very poor installation. It means at the very least that the airflow through the unit isn't great let alone the chance of it getting wet etc.......a case of style over substance!

Cheers

Gareth

I can't really comment as ours isn't like that, but other folk on here do have mid engine rooms. It's not something I have heard complaints about. Maybe not an ideal location, but probably adequate?

It seems to be cheaper on eBay (http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/181300237449) And there is no 45ft Hudson called Avalon on Jim Sheadslisting?

Bearing in mind the seller, it probably isn't licensed - hence no JS Listing! I suspect Mr Lillie is hoping the unsuspecting buyer is fooled into thinking it is a Steve Hudson!

I am having a Hudson built currently and have a blog which includes photos at different stages of the build. If you are interested it is nbachernar@blogspot.co.uk whilst not as detailed as some other blogs it will give you a rough idea of what you get.

I am having a Hudson built currently and have a blog which includes photos at different stages of the build. If you are interested it is nbachernar@blogspot.co.uk whilst not as detailed as some other blogs it will give you a rough idea of what you get.

Sorry to hear about your dog. I saw something recently about a nasty disease doing the rounds that terminally damaged dog's kidneys.

We will miss having a nose around your boat this year at Crick since we are doing the BCN Challenge instead - it's the same weekend. But maybe see you at the Open Day?

just like to thank everyone for input on my question regarding the boat i was looking at, i could have been buying a lot of trouble not only in the boat itself,but as it turns out the place where the boat is moored is of concern,i would have had no idea if it hadn't been for your help thank you philclapping.gif

The above comments all assume you are talking about a Steve Hudson built boat.

Kind of surprised you can't find out a lot about them, as one of the more prolific builders, and the boats are much discussed. (He leaves it tactfully at that!)

But just in case, there are also other Hudson boats, as there was another builder called Neil Hudson. I don't imagine its one of those, as I don't think they built a lot, but just be aware there are multiple Hudsons.

Seems, I wasn't wrong in suggesting it may not be the better known "Hudson".

The Jim Shead listings are far from consistent, as sometimes they list the shell builder, and at others who fitted the boat, (sometimes both).

My guess is that it is this "Avalon"

AVALON Built by UNION MILL N/BOATS - Length 13.65 metres (44 feet 9 inches ) - Beam 2.08 metres (6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft 6.86 metres (22 feet 6 inches ) Metal hull, power of 28 BHP. Registered with BW number 504123 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 11-Apr-2010.

It matches on engine power, and the 504123 Index Number is probably OK for the claimed 1999 build date.

On the face of it it may not have been licensed for a year or two, if it is this one, as these details are old (2010)

That boat does seem to be struggling to find a buyer. They would do themselves a lot of good by stating exactly who the builder was, clearly not a Steve Hudson.

With regard to the original question, I wouldn't be concerned about who built the boat, all that matters is how well it was built and how it has been maintained, and if you are looking at boats of 20 years + it doesn't matter much who built it, it really is all about how well it has been maintained.

With regard to the original question, I wouldn't be concerned about who built the boat, all that matters is how well it was built and how it has been maintained, and if you are looking at boats of 20 years + it doesn't matter much who built it, it really is all about how well it has been maintained.

True, but just to be clear, "Avalon" is claimed to be 15 years old, not 20 plus years old.

just wondered if anyone could perhaps list the best and not necessarily the worst,but maybe the ones which a newcomer like myself would be wise to avoid,because of inexperience in knowing what to look for

Just to go back to this question - so much is down to personal preference and budget you'll never get a definitive list that's worth anything to you. Someone may say avoid Springers, then you'll have a host of affronted proud Springer owners who love their boats defending them. The same goes for Liverpool boats - these are the first two that came to mind, I'm sure there are many more. I haven't come across any boat builders that should be avoided - there's some badly maintained boats out there and some decidedly ropey self fit outs - they're the ones to be avoided.

Carry on looking, step onto as many boats as you can and do loads of research. If you find a boat you think might be the one it's always worth posting a linky on here for opinions on pricing and possible pitfalls.

Best of luck!

Best of luck - it's a very interesting journey!

You haven't checked the licence number then...

What do you reckon the Index Number is then?

Only candidate "Avalon" I could see was....

AVALON Built by UNION MILL N/BOATS - Length 13.65 metres (44 feet 9 inches ) - Beam 2.08 metres (6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft 6.86 metres (22 feet 6 inches ) Metal hull, power of 28 BHP. Registered with BW number 504123 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 11-Apr-2010.

The only other 45 foot is "Marque Narrowboats" and a less good match on engine power, so I don't think it is that.

Index number 504123 was issued in 1999 - entirely consistent with claimed 1999 build date 15 years ago.

What index number are you basing on, and where is it coming from - I can't see one in the published details.

Edited by alan_fincher