tablet tethering query

pquinn

Featured Posts

The beauty of the Apple ecosystem is that all your devices are seamlessly mirrored - what happens on one happens on them all. I am not a complete Apple lemming evangelist, but I can confirm that although their kit costs more, you do actually get a lot more for your money. You make a choice, do you expect a lot from your IT gear like I do, or is adequate enough for you?

All the Android tablets, phones and PCs in my house are seamlessly synched and I am very happy with my IT gear and struggle to see what Apple offers above my kit (which I expect a lot from).

The only difference I can see is that I am not tied to one brand and have a vast choice of gear to choose from.

All the Android tablets, phones and PCs in my house are seamlessly synched and I am very happy with my IT gear and struggle to see what Apple offers above my kit (which I expect a lot from).

The only difference I can see is that I am not tied to one brand and have a vast choice of gear to choose from.

You can also if you wish 'mix 'n' match between Android an Apple, mine are a mix of a Dell PC, an iPhone and a Nexus tablet.

Using Chrome syncs all my browsing stuff across all three, Outlook.com Mail works across all three devices and stays in sync as does the calender on IOS, Outlook on the PC and on Android.

For some reason I can't really explain I can't get on with an Android phone but I can an Android tablet, hence I was chuffed when I found I could do this,.

That said some providers give priority to data only SIMs so the advantage is that you might still get a service on a data SIM in an iPad when a phone SIM may not.

I think they all do it, no choice really, no network has exclusive technology to avoid it. Unless I'm mistaken still no one provides unlimited data on a data only sim, it allows them to differentiate between those and phone sims and throttle the unlimited sim if things get a bit crowded.

Fair enough. I drive all sorts of rental cars and I can tell you that a BMW is a significantly better car than a Ford. They are both perfectly good and adequate for the job, but one costs more and offers more. I can also say from direct experience that the same applies to Apple products and their competitors, they all offer fine products. But in an open competitive market you get what you pay for. And buying 'adequate' for a 'reasonable' price is a perfectly valid decision. But it is wrong to suggest that paying a premium price does not buy a superior product. You make your choice. Sometimes economy is more important, sometimes it is not.

Edited by WJM

Fair enough. I drive all sorts of rental cars and I can tell you that a BMW is a significantly better car than a Ford.

I agree but my Nexus 7 is just as good as my sister's ipad. Rather like hiring a BMW and a Mercedes.

I believe Apple products are grossly overpriced when you compare them to the top end Androids and you are paying for the name, not higher quality.

My Nexus is due to be replaced and I shall replace it with the new Nexus but the old one is just as good as new so how much "better" does something have to be?

Edited by carlt

Another option is to use a mi-fi device as a hotspot for tablets and laptops. Lots of good info on this site if you search.

Advantage is that it can be hung in a doorway or window or even with an outdoor aerial attached for weak signal areas.

At ebay prices a data SIM is cheaper than most phone contracts that allow tethering.

Paul

I believe Apple products are grossly overpriced when you compare them to the top end Androids and you are paying for the name, not higher quality.

I dont agree - I think there is a significant difference in the quality of the total experience.

I thought this was interesting;

http://www.brainware.net/home

Latest News

World Tides 2014 - Now available on iTunes! Note: version 3.1 (not available) fixed negative tides shown on about a dozen locations.
Android Support - Well, we did an Android port of the American Sailing Association app. And, the sales were even worse than I thought. On top of that, it costs us more to make it because of all the different device screen sizes and software versions. Apparently many Android users steal software quite a bit or they just download free apps. Android was supposed to take over the app market years ago, but they didn't. Instead, the apps are of much lower quality than iOS apps and sales are about 1/5th (except for games). Despite all the hype, the Android ecosystem is far from what everyone predicted it to be.

By the way, I am not trying to convince carlt here, his mind is already made up. I am just trying to give the OP a balance of opinions.

Edited by WJM

I dont agree - I think there is a significant difference in the quality of the total experience.

I thought this was interesting;

http://www.brainware.net/home

Latest News
World Tides 2014 - Now available on iTunes! Note: version 3.1 (not available) fixed negative tides shown on about a dozen locations.
Android Support - Well, we did an Android port of the American Sailing Association app. And, the sales were even worse than I thought. On top of that, it costs us more to make it because of all the different device screen sizes and software versions. Apparently many Android users steal software quite a bit or they just download free apps. Android was supposed to take over the app market years ago, but they didn't. Instead, the apps are of much lower quality than iOS apps and sales are about 1/5th (except for games). Despite all the hype, the Android ecosystem is far from what everyone predicted it to be.

Yes Angry Birds is better supported on iOS too, apparently.

Considering that ipads also come in different screen sizes and there has been massive criticism of the latest software version I'm not sure what this proves apart from the fact that there are some great tide apps on Android from software companies that can cope with the system.

Obviously your experience with Android was poor, just like mine when I tested my Sister's ipad so we won't agree but the Apple 11e...now wasn't that an awesome bit of kit?

Considering that ipads also come in different screen sizes

All iPads are the same screen size, if you measure using pixels. What this means is that when you write software for iPad you do not need different software versions for the different sizes (Mini and Regular). It is that kind of attention to detail that gives Apple and edge in user experience. It is impossible for an app to display wrongly on an iPad, which is a regular occurrence on Android.

well,i would love the beamer but all i really need is a little runaround like a micra with L plates to get from a to b. i need to prioritize where the money goes at the moment but would like a bit more power and comfort down the line.the tesco jobby looks like the one except its not yet available over here.i doubt it wont be to long though. paul

well,i would love the beamer but all i really need is a little runaround like a micra with L plates to get from a to b. i need to prioritize where the money goes at the moment but would like a bit more power and comfort down the line.the tesco jobby looks like the one except its not yet available over here.i doubt it wont be to long though. paul

Ah sorry I hadn't spotted your location, can't you get one shipped from somebody over here??

Looks like '3' may increase their rates on the all you can eat packages, so if planning to get one, might pay get it sorted ASAP:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/confirmed-price-hike-1st-3rd-feb-2014-heads-up-three-3-can-eat-data-one-plan-last-1807934

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Sadly i'm in contract till September. :(

Ah sorry I hadn't spotted your location, can't you get one shipped from somebody over here??

Sadly i'm in contract till September. sad.png

i think they are to be released over here soon or i have seen where people have ordered them.i am not really in a hurry,it will be the next few months.thanks for all the info folks,plenty of food for thought. paul.

I've been using a phone to tether for over a 3 years now. Accept the fact that the battery is very consumable in this scenario, but a quick mooch through eBay should turn up a compatible battery for a few quid every eighteen months.

I suppose I meant battery charge, rather than battery life. I hadn't thought about how long the batteries actually last. Yes, not forever!

We don't currently tether our phone but reading a few posts on here battery life can be an issue when doing so. Some people have also reported tethering can use up battery faster than a low power USB charger can put juice back into the phone. So a 12V would/should be better or indeed a mains one.... another disadvantage perhaps??

There's obviously a big difference between having shore power/a generator/a large bank of solar panels on a boat ... and CCing with basic equipment when it comes to tethering tablets and laptops to phones, using wi-fi devices as hubs and so on.

With the basic CCing option, somewhere along the line you must charge/recharge these devices (along with your leisure batteries) to keep them going. And the more devices in a chain you depend on to get what you want done (surf, stream, communicate, post forum responses, ...) the greater the chance of 'failure' because of a discharged battery. Or perhaps I'm missing something.

I'm still on an old Nokia pay as you go because it lasts a week on a single 20-minute charge. I've been half-heartedly looking for a smartphone (even turning off GPS, push email, etc.) whose full charge would last more than a day or two. (We have no 12v plugs, but looking to install a cigarette lighter).

I'm still on an old Nokia pay as you go because it lasts a week on a single 20-minute charge. I've been half-heartedly looking for a smartphone (even turning off GPS, push email, etc.) whose full charge would last more than a day or two. (We have no 12v plugs, but looking to install a cigarette lighter).

Battery life is definitely an issue on every smart phone I have ever owned yes. This includes both Android and Apple.

The absolute worse ever was my works Blackberry Bold 9000 on which the battery often would not even last a day. My daughter has a newer version and it's not much better and she can't wait to upgrade and dump it.

I've removed the rear cover on my Galaxy Note smartphone and instead rely on an easily removable hinged cover from ebay, protects the screen and makes a fresh battery change easy. Missus doesn't have that option with her iphone of course, bad design IMO.

ETA: Also bough a cheap charger to slot a spare battery into.

Edited by nb Innisfree

I suppose I meant battery charge, rather than battery life. I hadn't thought about how long the batteries actually last. Yes, not forever!

There's obviously a big difference between having shore power/a generator/a large bank of solar panels on a boat ... and CCing with basic equipment when it comes to tethering tablets and laptops to phones, using wi-fi devices as hubs and so on.

With the basic CCing option, somewhere along the line you must charge/recharge these devices (along with your leisure batteries) to keep them going. And the more devices in a chain you depend on to get what you want done (surf, stream, communicate, post forum responses, ...) the greater the chance of 'failure' because of a discharged battery. Or perhaps I'm missing something.

Hi Jim,

Not an expert, but my experience based on my IPHONE 4 is.......

1) if only used as a phone (no tethering, photos, surfing etc) full battery charge lasts approx. 5-6 days

2) full battery charge when used for constant tethering, lasts approx. 4-6 hours

3) to fully charge from pretty much empty takes approx. 1 & 1/4 hours (on house mains electric)

our plan when ccing is using the phone to tether to devices in the evenings, when we may have multiple devices in use (we also have a dongal which can be used for single use during the day if one of us want internet access while cruising). Charge the phone during the day while we are cruising along with any other devices which need a recharge for evening use.

I'm not a "Apple holic", but have both a Iphone and Ipod; we also have a nexus 7 note pad & a non Apple lap top and a Dell home pc......I ended up with the Iphone because I used the wrong terminology when discussing my upgrade last time :) I meant to say I wanted a smart phone and said Iphone instead - happy with the result though clapping.gif

Looks like '3' may increase their rates on the all you can eat packages, so if planning to get one, might pay get it sorted ASAP:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/confirmed-price-hike-1st-3rd-feb-2014-heads-up-three-3-can-eat-data-one-plan-last-1807934

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Interesting.

They phoned me last week and asked if I'd like a £5/month drop in cost by signing up for another 12 months. I guess if it goes up next month that just puts me back where I was.

Tony

Interesting.

They phoned me last week and asked if I'd like a £5/month drop in cost by signing up for another 12 months. I guess if it goes up next month that just puts me back where I was.

Tony

but does save you £60. Strange how these companies do business. I can understand why they don't come completely clean and upfront, but it does allow for feelings of underhand to emerge.

If I was to purchase a twelve month contract, whats stopping them increasing the price midterm? Is their an initiative for me to buy now?

Martyn

but does save you £60. Strange how these companies do business. I can understand why they don't come completely clean and upfront, but it does allow for feelings of underhand to emerge.

If I was to purchase a twelve month contract, whats stopping them increasing the price midterm? Is their an initiative for me to buy now?

Martyn

The new rules don't allow it and if they do you can jump ship without penalty.

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/2014/01/protection-against-unexpected-mid-contract-price-rises/

ed to add linky.

Further ed. - but as ever the enforceability of these seem dubious and they refer to them as 'guidelines' rather than rules which is not how it was portrayed in the news report I saw.

Edited by The Dog House

I originally tethered with an old Sony Ericsson Xperia X8, via a third party app and the fully charged battery would give a couple of hours tethering before it needed a recharge. Day to day used as a phone, the battery lfe was about 1.5 days.

I now use a Star S7189 (basically a Chinese clone of a Samsung Galaxy Note 2, but at a quarter of the cost :) ) which has a tethering app built in. I get a good evenings tethering with this, probably due to the battery being a much larger capacity than to my old X8. I also notice the newer phone doesn't get as hot as the old - which I'm led to believe is what kills the battery.

yeah, me too, but i find that bi am being pushed towards getting a smart phone because all the deals include data.i dont need a smart phone and dont really want one.i dont use a phone very much because every body hates me and i have no friends but am finding that i have no choice and that is why i am thinking about getting a tablet. the wife has had blackberrys and iphones but to me ,i cant be bothered with the internet on such a small screen.AAAh! the hell of living in the first world.rolleyes.gif

• Greenie 1