ive done it woo hoo

tjderby

Featured Posts

Agree with David, but I would as I tried to tell you you should not be this public the other day!

I haven't been following all the threads, but if this boat is at Narrowcraft, Alvecote, then the owner there has been on the forum this morning advertising for bar staff.

Very good chance "BargeeBoy" has seen this thread, so you may struggle now to get price down!

If it's not at Alvecote, I'd still not be this public!

Must have become a recruitment agency for bar staff at marinas he used to own then!

Doesn't sound very likely, does it?

https://www.facebook.com/Bargeeboy/posts/3884246002264?stream_ref=10

In what way does offering sound advice about not conducting your negotiations in public constitute being an old fart? It is precisely because people want to him to become a boater with his own boat that the advice was given.

You will of course note he is following it now.

Hi,

The highlighted section congratulated him on being young and interested in canals, not his negotiating skills. He could be playing a 'long' game to get what he wants.

Good luck to the guy, due to the cost of boating there are not many people taking it up, other than looking for a cheap place to live. The canal restoration society near to me is crying out for volunteers, especially those under then age of 65! - no one is interested.

Perhaps in this instance a discreet PM to him might have helped instead of a pompous forum posting.

The joy of being retired and boating on a large pension or having been boating since the Armada does generate a lot of flatulence - give the guy a break.

L.

I ve read thru this thread today . I can t really comprehend what on earths going on .

TJ - I' m 42 yrs old . But not an old fart ..... yet . What i am is a novice to boats . I spent years thinking about getting one , then did it . Before buying i posted on here . During buying on here . Since buying i ve virtually not left here !

A pattern will emerge soon after you buy your boat that essentially , for me it has been anyway like this :

Problem , fix it , problem , fix it , problem , fix it ....... and on ad nauseum !

How do you the fix the problems ? By coming on here and requesting folk - strangers - to give you the the benefit of thier experience & expertise .

Frankly i d be screwed without some of the generosity that people here have shown over and over . In a world where theres alot of selfishness and nastiness its a refreshing antidote & you 'd be pretty foolish to offend folk who , in future will turn out to be extremely helpful in many many ways .

You ve been a bit brash , made a few unnecessary comments but don t go any further . Hold your hands up and tell folk you ve over reacted - it s cool as we ve all done it but don t make things worse .

people here are genuinely looking to help . i for one know i d be completely overwhelmed by issues on my boat without help as problems tend to be difficult to fix , expensive ... or both .

Don t blow the opportunity & good luck - its a big step your taking

cheers

tj - sorry should have make it clearer - the part I've put in bold above was the bits I was supporting and agreeing with

Hi guys many apologies for this morning. Extremely tired and my cat was pissing me off lol. Thanks for the advice.And the broker rang for a decision or counter offer . Cheer guys.

Much love

smile.png

Hi Bettie just wanted to put that I didn't call anyone and old Fart x

Don't think I mentioned anywhere you calling anyone an old Fart??

Glad you've had some rest and are back to your cheery self - I think everyone who thinks back to when they bought their first boat will agree; as well as it being a very exciting time, it can also be quite stressful as well. Just remember to enjoy yourself, and that the majority of people on here are willing to help by offering advice based on their experience and or ask questions that you may not have thought of considering.

Hi,

The highlighted section congratulated him on being young and interested in canals, not his negotiating skills. He could be playing a 'long' game to get what he wants.

Good luck to the guy, due to the cost of boating there are not many people taking it up, other than looking for a cheap place to live. The canal restoration society near to me is crying out for volunteers, especially those under then age of 65! - no one is interested.

Perhaps in this instance a discreet PM to him might have helped instead of a pompous forum posting.

The joy of being retired and boating on a large pension or having been boating since the Armada does generate a lot of flatulence - give the guy a break.

L.

I am happy with the main point of my post thanks. As I guess all the other members are who posted in a very similar vein are

I guess you posted a pm then? No maybe not.

Oh and for the record my pension is not large.

I also guess you missed the bit where tj heeded the advice offered??

Edited by The Dog House

Typical of you youngsters you never heed our advice and always think you know better. Gawd, how I remember my dad constantly saying this to me many years ago when I was a similar age to TJ biggrin.png

Seriously though, I can appreciate why TJ initially came on here to seek advice as buying a boat is such a huge step and understandably he wouldn't have sussed about brokers viewing this forum. And as for his reaction, I know how he feels because I'm often a little 'ratty' after I occasionally do a 12 hour night shift, as my misses often tells me.

Good luck TJ and I hope it all works out and you get yourself a decent boat, and once acquired you will come on here regularly contributing and asking for advice. There are so many old farts on here as well as generally within the boating world (including me) that younger people like you should be welcomed.

This is a great forum but you'll always get the odd spat usually as a result of either a miss-read post or a poorly thought out comment, but there is a wealth of experience and expertise to draw from. Generally folk on here are sound and everyone is so willing to help and advise.

Hope you stick around.

I'm sticking around. smile.png

Yes, keep us informed, both of the boats you've been interested in, Annie May and Miss Behave are boats which I've looked at on Apollo Duck and thought were two of the best boats I've seen. I'm not ready to buy yet as I'm committed to running my transport company until 2016 but it's intriguing that you spotted the same two boats so I'd be very interested in reading about your future experiences should you buy one or the other.

Great minds think alike!wink.png

Can I offer please another "well done" to TJ for the swift apology.

That's something not many of the "crusties" manage very often, so perhaps we need to learn something from our younger members too!

Edited by alan_fincher

Can I offer please another "well done" to TJ for the swift apology.

That's something not many of the "crusties" manage very often, so perhaps we need to learn something from our younger members too!

Seconded.

:)

I'd suggest 'no' is the probably answer, he's probably busy sensibly conducting negotiations in line with the advice not to say so in public!

MtB

(Either that, or asleep... smile.png )

As long as he's not both at the same time.

The suspense is killing me, what's the latest, was your offer accepted or have you gone for a different boat?

This might be of interest to you TJ, it opens soon and it's right on the Erewash. I walk passed it daily and can't believe it's going to be open in a month.