ACC now have a chat forum on their site.

Ex- Member

Featured Posts

It was specifically set up by & for continuous cruisers to promote, defend & advance the rights of membership to cc without a "home mooring" according to current legislation & campaign on members behalf on issues affecting reasonable ability & enjoyment to cc without a home mooring.

Just a few lines from the objectives of ACC & the reason that as a cc'er I am more than happy to pay subs of £10 pa. & to clarify, yes to use the forum you do need to be a member wink.png

That doesn't really answer the question does it?

It's a promotion.

I am just surprised at how folk seem to feel they have reason to complain about an association for CCers when they aren't themselves CCers.

Its a bit like me grumbling about a ballroom dancing association! If you aren't a CCer don't grumble, if you are a CCer decide if the membership is good value and either join or don't join.

Personally as a non CCer I wish them good luck and hope it helps CCers with problems.

• Greenie 2

I was under the impression that ACC membership was only open to CCers (and this was the reason for all the bad feeling surrounding creation of the association). Has this changed then?

MtB

I think the bad feeling surrounding creation of the association was the apparent underhand way an exclusive association was formed whilst the founding members were giving the impression that an all inclusive association for all boaters was on the cards.

This was certainly what upset me.

I have no objection to anybody forming their own exclusive club but it would have been nicer if they'd been more open about their intentions rather than raising the hopes of those of us who would have loved to play an active role in an inclusive association.

Now that water has passed under the bridge I wish them well but I have no intention of joining an association which has a multi-tier membership system, even if I became eligible for full membership.

and how quickly it got referenced on the CRT web site. It looks like someone knows what they are doing...

Perhaps this is because they were chatting to CRT about forming an exclusive club at the same time they were chatting to us about forming an inclusive association...

I am just surprised at how folk seem to feel they have reason to complain about an association for CCers when they aren't themselves CCers.

See the above.

There is nothing wrong with a special interest organisation.

The problem was not the "what", it was merely the "how".

• Greenie 1

That doesn't really answer the question does it?

It's a promotion.

Q. So, would you like to become a Continual Cruiser?

a I am already a continual cruiser and want more info on the complexities = Join, and in doing so, join in on their forum

b Yes, I am looking for / own / live on a boat and would like to know what is required of me, if I CC and how I'll access services etc. = Join

c I own a boat but live in a marina / permanent mooring = You could join, if you wished to keep up to date with CC issues

d I own a boat share / hire boats / just holiday cruise = You could join, if you wished to keep up to date with CC issues

e I don't own a boat, nor am I looking for one, I just like reading these forums = Pay £10 and join if you'd like to know more about CCing

f I have joined many fora but don't have anything to add to them, just clog them up with stupid questions = Don't pay £10, don't join. cheers.gif

Hope this answers your question.

• Greenie 1

I think the bad feeling surrounding creation of the association was the apparent underhand way an exclusive association was formed whilst the founding members were giving the impression that an all inclusive association for all boaters was on the cards.

I am a little confused here. Nothing unusual in that!

I must have been reading the wrong threads on the forum as I never got the impression anyone was forming an association until it happened.

I read a lot of wishful thinking where people would have liked an all inclusive association but no offer or suggestion that anyone was prepared to set one up. You can't blame people who are of a like mind and prepared to get off their behinds and form an association which fulfils their wants, needs, desires. Particularly in the absence of others offering to start an association which created what they wanted.

Surely it is time people stopped going on about something which is old news and done and dusted. There is still the opportunity for those who want an all inclusive association to set one up, but I won't hold my breath.

• Greenie 2

I must have been reading the wrong threads on the forum as I never got the impression anyone was forming an association until it happened.

I read a lot of wishful thinking where people would have liked an all inclusive association but no offer or suggestion that anyone was prepared to set one up. You can't blame people who are of a like mind and prepared to get off their behinds and form an association which fulfils their wants, needs, desires. Particularly in the absence of others offering to start an association which created what they wanted.

Surely it is time people stopped going on about something which is old news and done and dusted. There is still the opportunity for those who want an all inclusive association to set one up, but I won't hold my breath.

Actually I don't think anybody is 'going on' about anything - certainly in this thread. A series of questions were asked and a series of answers were given.

Actually I don't think anybody is 'going on' about anything - certainly in this thread. A series of questions were asked and a series of answers were given.

A thread which mentions ACC never passes without "bad feeling" being brought out. It is now what 5 - 6 months? Yet still it crops up.

A thread which mentions ACC never passes without "bad feeling" being brought out. It is now what 5 - 6 months? Yet still it crops up.

That is the way with associations though. I don't particularly see any 'bad feeling' just some opinions about it's formation which linger.

eg - When we were members people in the Caravan Club used to still talk about membership being barred to certain categories of campers (tenters) decades on from it forming.....you see similar discussions around associations and clubs which are associated with dog breeds and ownership too, it's just how it is.

No body wishes the ACC any ill that I can see, in here at least.

There was no post on this thread that I felt questioned my opinion on the matter so I had no intention of contributing, until somebody raised the "5-6 month old" disagreement.

Edited because I didn't read the thread in the correct order.

I guess you must have been then because I quoted all the posts that I felt supported my opinion in the long running thread on this subject and don't feel inclined to search and quote them again.

Edited by carlt

"Britain’s 5,000 continuous cruisers enjoy a lifestyle that is distinctive due to both the benefits and restrictions that accompany boating without a designated home mooring". [cut and pasted from the ACC welcome page].

I see there have been a few posts from people wishing to join who wonder if they qualify. Out of curiosity, how many of the founder members of ACC have a designated mooring or a mooring agreement with CRT?

"Britain’s 5,000 continuous cruisers enjoy a lifestyle that is distinctive due to both the benefits and restrictions that accompany boating without a designated home mooring". [cut and pasted from the ACC welcome page].

I see there have been a few posts from people wishing to join who wonder if they qualify. Out of curiosity, how many of the founder members of ACC have a designated mooring or a mooring agreement with CRT?

some took winter moorings. No founder members have a home mooring.

Does it matter?

I really think we have to move on and start being constructive. Rather than looking for divisions we should be building bridges.

Exactly...but it depends whether you build bridges for those you represent...or just yourself....

some took winter moorings. No founder members have a home mooring.

...that partially answered my question...

Exactly...but it depends whether you build bridges for those you represent...or just yourself....

...that partially answered my question...

We have the option for non ccers to join. We are also happy to offer seats on council for non ccers. At the end of the day though, we are what it says on the tin.

On saying that, lets be totally honest here, and remember that ccers issues are just as likely to effect other boat owners as well.

We try not to step on NABO and RBOA's toes.

We have the option for non ccers to join. We are also happy to offer seats on council for non ccers. At the end of the day though, we are what it says on the tin.

On saying that, lets be totally honest here, and remember that ccers issues are just as likely to effect other boat owners as well.

We try not to step on NABO and RBOA's toes.

...just be careful who you get into bed with...just saying...

There is no need to set up a new inclusive association. As has been mentioned Nabo exists, set up and run by people who have got off their behinds to form an association for all boaters.

There is no need to set up a new inclusive association. As has been mentioned Nabo exists, set up and run by people who have got off their behinds to form an association for all boaters.

The funny thing though Sue, is that throughout history individuals have often had more impact than an organisation (well Jesus did pretty well...lol). Organisations often self implode under the in fightings of the constitution. By coincidence, the ACC web site even has a section dedicated to the constitution...no...good luck to them... I'm just being paranoid...