ACC now have a chat forum on their site.

Ex- Member

Featured Posts

Analogy

I'm interested in buying a boat for sale at £25k. I go to the broker and say to him/her, I might want to buy that boat for £25k. The broker says give me £25k and it's yours. I say to the broker, I'd to look inside the boat to make sure it's what I want. The broker says "but it's a boat!" take it or leave it.

For an association to say "We represent your interests and support you" is not enough for me. I want to know what they're like inside.

You are welcome to come to any Nabo meeting and talk to the people who have got off their backsides. From a website you only learn what some glib or not so glib person has posted.

So do "associate" members get full voting rights?

Your own answer Carl

"Now that water has passed under the bridge I wish them well but I have no intention of joining an association which has a multi-tier membership system, even if I became eligible for full membership".

Actually Jesus personally affected a very small number of people in a very small part of the world.

It was the formation of the christian church and extremely aggressive marketing that led to its success as the predominant superstition in the world.

Get a Roman Emperor on board and your laughing.

(Edited to add: Preferably not Caligula)

I think most of the desciples were martyred. Not the best marketing ;-)

I suspect all Pilly is actually trying to do is reignite all the previous stuff that was gone over in the last long ACC thread - otherwise why get all animated about spending a measley tenner?

it's called t r o l l i n g

I wish the ACC well, I'm sure a lot of concerns are universal to all boaters but given the amount of anti CC stuff that surfaces from time to time ( far too often) I'm not surprised that the ACC came into being.

I may join. I'm in a odd position re my mooring, I can leave my boat there but am not able to live on board or spend more than a certain number of nights on board on the mooring. If I lived on board I would have to roam about most of the year.

People do keep a track of these things, I'm too busy to bother but others aren't .

yes but can only vote for Council members for there own category of membership, but I guess as you will not be joining not quite sure why that should concern you because as a non member i am afraid you will have no voting rights

In order to make a decision one needs facts.

Facts are ascertained by asking questions.

I am grateful for all questions posed as it will enable me to make an informed decision.....some time.

£10.00 is one seventh of my weekly income. To me, that's a lot of money.

You manage to live, eat and drink and licence and run a boat on a monthly income of £280 per month?

That is a considerable achievement....

You are welcome to come to any Nabo meeting and talk to the people who have got off their backsides. From a website you only learn what some glib or not so glib person has posted.

Thanks Sue. There appears to be lots of common-issues between the associations and I'll probably go for the one that has effected the most positive change and has achieved the best outcome for boaters more generally. Not sure how I'll measure that but I'll give it a go.

You manage to live, eat and drink and licence and run a boat on a monthly income of £280 per month?

That is a considerable achievement....

Martin. You come across as excessively defensive and confrontational

Perhaps you would like to answer this question.

Where do I claim that I own or run a boat?

It seems to me that you are so busy attacking ‘the person’ that you are missing the facts and ignoring the issues.

Your earlier comment about re-igniting issues from another ACC topic is completely without merit.

I hope you are not representative of the ACC

Your own answer Carl

"Now that water has passed under the bridge I wish them well but I have no intention of joining an association which has a multi-tier membership system, even if I became eligible for full membership".

Was that a "Yes" or a "No"?

It was a perfectly simple question and I see no reason for you to be evasive.

yes but can only vote for Council members for there own category of membership, but I guess as you will not be joining not quite sure why that should concern you because as a non member i am afraid you will have no voting rights

Thank you for answering the question (unlike Steve Jenkins).

Just because I have no intention of joining does not prevent me from asking a question out of idle curiosity.

There was no mischievous intention and, as I said before, I had no intention of even contributing to this thread until somebody raised the issue of why some of us were upset at the formation of an inclusive club.

Just because I have no intention of joining does not prevent me from asking a question out of idle curiosity.

There was no mischievous intention and, as I said before, I had no intention of even contributing to this thread until somebody raised the issue of why some of us were upset at the formation of an inclusive club.

"Yawns"

Martin. You come across as excessively defensive and confrontational

Perhaps you would like to answer this question.

Where do I claim that I own or run a boat?

It seems to me that you are so busy attacking ‘the person’ that you are missing the facts and ignoring the issues.

Your earlier comment about re-igniting issues from another ACC topic is completely without merit.

I hope you are not representative of the ACC

I must be confusing you with another forum ID I guess....

If you currently don't even have a boat then ACC membership is very likely to be of very limited value for you I would say, unless someone from the ACC would care to say otherwise.

I merely offered an opinion as to your motives given you were continuing to raise questions about the ACC and it's benefits when I had already suggested early on in this thread as to where you could find the info. you needed - I even provide the link from memory (Can't be bothered to check)

I also have made it clear I am not even an ACC member in a previous post so I fail to see how I could be representative of them.

Oh and - I have been called a lot worse than 'excessively defensive and confrontational' on here, sticks 'n' stone and all that.

I wish you would get my name right carl, if you cannot, my forum name will suffice. After all, we should abide by forum etiquette.

I use jenlyn on here, because I choose to do so, It's a pity that you have to use spite to further your "cause" :-)

For those undecided have a look at www.nabo.org.uk we welcome boaters from all walks of life. Yes I declare an interest as I am on the NABO council.

In my opinion boaters need to have a voice and to be engaged with The CRT decision making process where they can. The boaters representatives that were elected have not worked so it is up to the associations to try and make a difference. So please if you care about the waterways join an association that you feel comfortable with and make your views known to them or better still offer to help them.

For those undecided have a look at www.nabo.org.uk we welcome boaters from all walks of life. Yes I declare an interest as I am on the NABO council.

In my opinion boaters need to have a voice and to be engaged with The CRT decision making process where they can. The boaters representatives that were elected have not worked so it is up to the associations to try and make a difference. So please if you care about the waterways join an association that you feel comfortable with and make your views known to them or better still offer to help them.

well said that man aprox 30 un elected quangos advising CRT what to do, boaters need to be heard.

I wish you would get my name right carl, if you cannot, my forum name will suffice. After all, we should abide by forum etiquette.

I use jenlyn on here, because I choose to do so, It's a pity that you have to use spite to further your "cause" :-)

No spite at all but I do find it strange that you should have so many aliases.

I have no "cause" either, btw, I asked a perfectly reasonable question in a non-confrontational way but you have chosen to use it to reignite an old argument.

well said that man aprox 30 un elected quangos advising CRT what to do, boaters need to be heard.

A cacophony of different single interest voices is hardly the way to show unity though.

You are welcome to come to any Nabo meeting and talk to the people who have got off their backsides.

That is the problem with NABO.

It fails to recognise that "those who have got off their backsides" are not actually a particularly representative sample.

So, NABO started off representing a subset of boaters, and as time has gone on those who join from outside that subset quickly realise that NABO is at odds with what they think, and leave.

NABO is now stuck in a self-perpetuating cycle, with an unrepresentative membership and an unrepresentative council, and little hope of ever attracting a representative membership and council.

Sorry what was your idea again that allows boaters to have their voice heard by CRT?

A truly representative body for all boaters...just like the founding members of the ACC discussed and enthused about with me and others here whilst setting up their exclusive club.

I'm not sure why you want to drag this up again, John, all my comments and corresponding quotes are in that old, long running thread if you'd like to go back and read them.

As I said, I had no intention of contributing to this thread until somebody asked a question that I felt in a position to answer.

My opinion has not changed on the matter but though I didn't raise the issue I am more than happy to discuss it.

It was specifically set up by & for continuous cruisers to promote, defend & advance the rights of membership to cc without a "home mooring" ...

Just a few lines from the objectives of ACC & the reason that as a cc'er I am more than happy to pay subs of £10 pa. & to clarify, yes to use the forum you do need to be a member wink.png

Haven't joined yet ... but there is the start of a very good collection of articles about CCing ... that anyone can access here: http://www.associationofcontinuouscruisers.org.uk/resources/

There are all sorts of forums with restricted registration -- especially for professionals and those with special interests and work. They are usually MUCH better than open forums.

... but THIS forum is one of the best that's open to all!