More flooding...

blackrose

Featured Posts

I would be interested in odds on the Nene reopening by mid-April.

The loser would need to transport my narrowboat from somewhere near Gayton to Ely, by water (me) or by road (you)...

I am glad to see that the Henley Regatta organisers are still confident - I had an email about these moorings today. These must be worrying times for all involved in water-related tourism, leisure & freight businesses.

The way things are going the Nene will still be on red flags in August.

Phil

Read in the paper this morning that EA had to withdraw their staff from Wraysbury because of hostility from residents.

FFS the EA didn't make it rain.

Phil

The way things are going the Nene will still be on red flags in August.

Phil

Read in the paper this morning that EA had to withdraw their staff from Wraysbury because of hostility from residents.

FFS the EA didn't make it rain.

Phil

how long before the populace take up the pitch forks, and march on Downing street?

Most bell housings have adrain at the bottom so oil that leaks in can drain out.

Army vehicles usually have a plug to insert before fording certain depths of water to prevent water ingress They are removed once back on dry land.

You mean water that leaks in can drain out? If that's true, how does the drain at the bottom of the bell housing prevent the transmission oil from draining out? I think the churned up oil and water in a gearbox would just produce a Bailey's coloured emulsion. Anyway, I've got the car booked into a garage for a transmission oil change as I don't want to drive around for too long if it's full of water. I do my own engine oil changes but the gear oil looks a bit trickier plus I've got nowhere dry to do the job. The garage told me it's only a half hour job plus the oil.

Edited by blackrose

Most bell housings have adrain at the bottom so oil that leaks in can drain out.

Army vehicles usually have a plug to insert before fording certain depths of water to prevent water ingress They are removed once back on dry land.

Not just army vehicles some Land Rovers had/have them too.

Vauxhall Frontera's had (have) a breather hole in the back axle along with inboard brakes.

When you have just driven 100 miles towing a boat and you reverse down the slipway its amazing how quickly the water cools the rear axle, creating a semi-vaccum which then sucks-into the back axle copius amounts of water.

Its also amazing how quickly said copius amounts of sea-water cause havoc inside the axle.

You mean water that leaks in can drain out? If that's true, how does the drain at the bottom prevent the transmission oil from draining out? I've got the car booked into a garage for a transmission oil change as I don't want to drive around for too long if it's full of water. I do my own engine oil changes but the gear oil looks a bit trickier plus I've got nowhere dry to do the job. The garage told me it's only a half hour job plus the oil.

There should normally be no fluids of any kind in the bell housing. However in the event of oil or water getting in it need to get out. hence the provision (normally ) of a drain hole. the centrifugal force of the flywheel/clutch/pressure plate could be expected to throw off the fluids, but they need a means of escape. The only way the water could penetrate into the gearbox proper would be if the shaft seal(s) failed.

BTW in my opinion, the lorry driver was going at exactly the right speed, he was keeping the water level lower round the engine by producing a bow wave. How big is a matter of fine judgement. When he entered the water perhaps the woman couldn't be seen. We don't know how long the flood was, it could have been longer than we imagine. Once he was in he was committed to keeping going.

BTW in my opinion, the lorry driver was going at exactly the right speed, he was keeping the water level lower round the engine by producing a bow wave. How big is a matter of fine judgement.

It may have been correct for the vehicle but not necessarily for those at the road sides. We had a shop where the road flooded and it was a constant battle with the wash created by selfish so and sos who could easily have slowed down or gone another route (the flooding was localised). You regularly see pictures of houses (at least I do up here in our part of the north) which probably wouldn't be suffering much damage if it wasn't for bow waves smashing against their doors with monotonous regularity.

A bit more care and consideration would help.

Sorry rant over.

There should normally be no fluids of any kind in the bell housing. However in the event of oil or water getting in it need to get out. hence the provision (normally ) of a drain hole. the centrifugal force of the flywheel/clutch/pressure plate could be expected to throw off the fluids, but they need a means of escape. The only way the water could penetrate into the gearbox proper would be if the shaft seal(s) failed.

BTW in my opinion, the lorry driver was going at exactly the right speed, he was keeping the water level lower round the engine by producing a bow wave. How big is a matter of fine judgement. When he entered the water perhaps the woman couldn't be seen. We don't know how long the flood was, it could have been longer than we imagine. Once he was in he was committed to keeping going.

I'm afraid I don't agree. Even if he didn't see her until after he entered the water he should have at the very least slowed down or even stopped when he did.

I do know about the bow wave thing having done off road driving before but risking injury or even worse to a person is not worth preserving a lump of (all be it expensive) metal for.

If he didn't see her at all then he shouldn't be driving let alone driving a largish wagon.

It may have been correct for the vehicle but not necessarily for those at the road sides. We had a shop where the road flooded and it was a constant battle with the wash created by selfish so and sos who could easily have slowed down or gone another route (the flooding was localised). You regularly see pictures of houses (at least I do up here in our part of the north) which probably wouldn't be suffering much damage if it wasn't for bow waves smashing against their doors with monotonous regularity.

A bit more care and consideration would help.

Sorry rant over.

We have the same problem in a village near to us the main road of which often floods.

The roadside houses are usually OK until the wagons and buses come howling through the water.

It certainly leads to the odd interesting 'verbal exchange'.

Edited by The Dog House

Gloucester next, missed it by a few inches on the last tide....last week we were watching as the Storm surge just raised the level above the towpath on the right.......what towpath, has been missing in action for days now.

current1.jpg

If the Avon had been really full, gloucester would have flooded already.

Looking at this, the Severn is above the height of the Gloucester and Sharpness canal now.

IMAG0687_zps399ffe58.jpg

Edited by matty40s

You must feel the way Noah felt after 40 days and 40 nights.

It has been a rather long spell of bad weather.

I saw this article on the BBC website this morning.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-26023166

This bit didn't make sense to me because I'm sure over the past few weeks they've been saying that the stormy weather we've been experiencing has been driven by the jet stream increasing in speed, not decreasing?

The jet stream, as its name suggests, is a high-speed air current in the atmosphere that brings with it the weather.

It is fuelled partly by the temperature differential between the Arctic and the mid-latitudes.If the differential is large then the jet stream speeds up, and like a river flowing down a steep hill, it ploughs through any obstacles - such as areas of high pressure that might be in its way. If the temperature differential reduces because of a warming Arctic then the jet stream weakens and, again, like a river on a flat bed, it will meander every time it comes across an obstacle.This results in weather patterns tending to becoming stuck over areas for weeks on end.

Edited by blackrose

It has been a rather long spell of bad weather.

I saw this article on the BBC website this morning.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-26023166

This bit didn't make sense to me. I'm sure they've been saying over the past few weeks that the stormy weather we've been experiencing was due to the jet stream increasing in speed, not decreasing?

The jet stream, as its name suggests, is a high-speed air current in the atmosphere that brings with it the weather.

It is fuelled partly by the temperature differential between the Arctic and the mid-latitudes.If the differential is large then the jet stream speeds up, and like a river flowing down a steep hill, it ploughs through any obstacles - such as areas of high pressure that might be in its way. If the temperature differential reduces because of a warming Arctic then the jet stream weakens and, again, like a river on a flat bed, it will meander every time it comes across an obstacle.This results in weather patterns tending to becoming stuck over areas for weeks on end.

I have heard a number of weather experts saying that the key change is the path the jet stream is taking at present, and that it seems to have got stuck in an unusual pattern -- so it's the path of the jet stream not its speed that matters?

As the BBC piece says, the data only covers a relatively few years.

I have heard a number of weather experts saying that the key change is the path the jet stream is taking at present, and that it seems to have got stuck in an unusual pattern -- so it's the path of the jet stream not its speed that matters?

Well for the past few weeks and only a few days ago they were definitely saying it was the increased speed of the jet stream that was driving the recent storms, so perhaps it's a bit of both - speed and path. But for me there's still a contradiction between what they were saying earlier about the increased speed of the jet stream driving the storms and today's story about the slowing, meandering jet stream theory which they say is resulting in weather remaining the same for more prolonged periods.

Edited by blackrose

The jetstream has been fuelled by intense cold air in north America/Canada and unusually warm subtropic air to the South. This has meant it has directed straight across the atlantic to the UK. Any low pressures either side were swept along and intensified and aimed over us as has happened.....they also passed through quite swiftly.

When the jet speed drops as it is doing now, due to the cold area warming slightly, the jet then moves around and each weather system is less affected by it, meaning low pressures do not intensify as much, may move slower (not good if one stalls over us) and high pressures can also build over us.

So in effect, individual weather systems move slower and weather patterns are more likely to change.

The jetstream has been fuelled by intense cold air in north America/Canada and unusually warm subtropic air to the South. This has meant it has directed straight across the atlantic to the UK. Any low pressures either side were swept along and intensified and aimed over us as has happened.....they also passed through quite swiftly.

When the jet speed drops as it is doing now, due to the cold area warming slightly, the jet then moves around and each weather system is less affected by it, meaning low pressures do not intensify as much, may move slower (not good if one stalls over us) and high pressures can also build over us.

So in effect, individual weather systems move slower and weather patterns are more likely to change.

I understand what you're saying, but I'm not sure if what you say about the speed of the jetstream is supported by the data.

This webpage shows the speed of the jetstream over the past few days/weeks and you can go backwards and forwards through the archives. I can't see any indication of the speed of the jet stream slowing as you say. It's certainly changing its path, but I'm not sure if it's slowing down?

http://www.metcheck.com/UK/jetstream_archive.asp

For reference, last week on one BBC TV weather analysis they were talking about very high jet stream speeds of 230mph and according to the Metcheck site we could still see those sort of speeds over the Atlantic yesterday.

Edited by blackrose

Doesn't look very well, does it? I hope the owner has proper insurance.

We haven't heard anything about floods on the radio new for at least three days now. Are things getting back to normal in the areas which were affected?

Edited by Athy

Doesn't look very well, does it? I hope the owner has proper insurance.

We haven't heard anything about floods on the radio new for at least three days now. Are things getting back to normal in the areas which were affected?

Around here in Reading I'd say yes we are back to 'normal' levels of flooding now, instead of the flooding being far higher than 'normal'.

MtB

Had a look at the lock in Newbury today. Water level still well above the lock mooring bollards below the lock. I believe that the canal is closed below Hungerford for possibly the next 6 weeks ( towpath talking). I know that the river flowing past Frouds Bridge Marina entrance is considered un-navigable/dangerous at the moment. Bunny