Some tips please for the Thames

jacloc

Featured Posts

Hello

After hiring for over 10 years, all over the country, it’s about time we did the Thames. Our week’s hire of a narrow boat is at the end of March 2014 and picking the boat up in Aldermaston.

Do you have any hints, tips and advice about what to do, or not. We hoped to head downstream, through Reading, Henley, and Marlow to Windsor. I have done many kinds of locks over the years, and have even conquered staircases! The Thames locks, reading another thread, seem to be vast, electric ones, and with us going in March I take it they will be unmanned, so is there anything I should be aware of, any tricks of the trade?

Also about mooring. The last river we tackled, that may be too strong a word, was the Avon, from Bath towards Bristol. Lovely river but few places to stop and moor, it was a bit of an eye opener after canals, so what about mooring on the Thames?

I suppose all this may be irrelevant if the weather is like it is at the moment. Is the Thames often impassable when water levels are high?

And lastly is downstream as good as upstream, through Wallingford to Oxford, or is it just a matter of where you actually want to go, if you see what I mean.

I look forward to your advice and knowledge.

Jac

Hello

After hiring for over 10 years, all over the country, it’s about time we did the Thames. Our week’s hire of a narrow boat is at the end of March 2014 and picking the boat up in Aldermaston.

Do you have any hints, tips and advice about what to do, or not. We hoped to head downstream, through Reading, Henley, and Marlow to Windsor. I have done many kinds of locks over the years, and have even conquered staircases! The Thames locks, reading another thread, seem to be vast, electric ones, and with us going in March I take it they will be unmanned, so is there anything I should be aware of, any tricks of the trade?

Also about mooring. The last river we tackled, that may be too strong a word, was the Avon, from Bath towards Bristol. Lovely river but few places to stop and moor, it was a bit of an eye opener after canals, so what about mooring on the Thames?

I suppose all this may be irrelevant if the weather is like it is at the moment. Is the Thames often impassable when water levels are high?

And lastly is downstream as good as upstream, through Wallingford to Oxford, or is it just a matter of where you actually want to go, if you see what I mean.

Jac

Mooring on rivers is completely different to the canals. The banks are owned by the adjacent landowners in most cases so casual mooring is not permitted.

As on all rivers remember the water has a flow. Dont try to moor with the flow, turn into it and use it to your advantage. Hopefully the river levels will have dropped a bit for you by March!!

Hello

Jac

Both Oxford and Windsor are one and a half days cruise from the point where the K and A join the Thames at reading.,just turn left for Oxford and right for Windsor.

There are plenty of free visitor moorings,most towns on the river do make a charge for use of their frontage moorings however,.,cost varies from 4 pounds to eight.

C.T.

... Our week’s hire of a narrow boat is at the end of March 2014 and picking the boat up in Aldermaston.

And lastly is downstream as good as upstream, through Wallingford to Oxford ...

It would be a good day's run from Aldermaston to the Thames (moorings and food at the Reading Tesco just above Kennet Mouth). Otherwise The Cunning Man just beyond the western outskirts of Reading is a really pleasant place to overnight. Good pub; great caf across the road.

Upstream or downstream from Reading is nice, depends what you want. Downstream for more history, classic slipper launches, cool and classy Henley. Baths Island (opposite the leisure centre) in Windsor is a great place to tie up -- a little removed from the bustle of town. But beware that air traffic noise in and around Windsor and downstream is terrific. As we tend towards the quieter places, upstream from Reading is our favourite. The stretch from Mapledurham up past Pangbourne, Beale Park and Harts Lock Wood to Goring is brilliant. Sheep fields above Goring and the run to Wallingford is really attractive. Above and below Day's Lock around Dorchester is also a fave. As is Abingdon.

Thames locks are straight forward, and usually you will have a friendly lock keeper point you in and operate it for you. Otherwise push-button ease. Main task in these locks is not to spear a £500K plastic cruiser. But probably few of those end of March.

BTW, check on passage under toll bridge at Pangbourne if you go that way, as it is being replaced and Thames apparently closed until end March. I'm sure Aldermaston will fill you in.

Moorings = public moorings. Again, end of March, you shouldn't have any problems finding a place. In summer, we tend to start VERY early and tie up about 1pm or 2pm if possible. Then again, many hire boaters tend to cruise right into dusk to make distance! We cruise to have fun and loll about on fine days.

If Thames was in flood in March, there's every chance you wouldn't get past County Lock in Reading anyway, as it floods easily too from the River Kennet.

Have a great time.

Thank you for all the advice, I hadn't thought about traffic noise, perfer the peace and quiet, but I suppose its the price you pay for having a nosy around Windsor. Just need to keep our fingers crosed for a dry March.

Personally, I found the stretch from Reading to Oxford the least interesting bit of the Thames, so I reckon heading the other way is a good move.

Moorings in towns are frequently charged for. In the countryside, you may find a farmer turning up to collect a few quid, or you may not. You'll become skilled at spotting places where people have moored regularly -- look for a boat-length scoop out of the bank. Lock-keepers are a good source of local information, but these days you often find there isn't anyone on duty, and you have to press the buttons yourself.

You'll have limited time, with effect only three days on the River- so off the top - I'd be inclined to go downriver as there's more to see and do.

Even if it's not in flood (as now) it WILL be in strong(er) flow, so always:-

Moor head up to stream, no ifs or buts

Allow longer for your return to the K&A than on the outwards trip

Always use a bow and stern line in the locks

Do NOT wrap your lines around bollards in locks

Be aware that the stream will push you about a bit, so be prepared

Be NICE and polite to the lock keepers (if you see any). Say Good morning, (afternoon) on entry and Thank you on exit (especially Dave at Bell Weir).

Lock operation:-

• If unmanned read the instructions (RTFM) on the lock pedestal before pushing any button.
  • On the round topped pedestal locks, do NOT press and hold the sluice (paddles) buttons 'cos the system will lock out and drop power if you do then you won't be able to do anything.
  • The sluice raising and lowering is automatic.
  • However, the gate buttons do have be held.
  • There are indicator lights to confuse you more...
  • Please leave the lock empty or emptying and gates shut when you leave
  • The locks below Windsor have large flat topped pedestals which operate slightly differently; Sluices up have to be triggered manually between each of the three stages.
  • When going uphill sit towards the rear of the lock to avoid the turbulence from the upstream sluices.

There are water hydrants (hoses) pumpouts and rubbish disposal at

Shiplake and Boveney.

Shops at Henley - can moor for free above the bridge 09:00 to 15:30 AFAIK,

Marlow (a good walk), Windsor, Maidenhead and Staines (now renamed St. Aines...), Large Sainsbury's through Office blocks

Overnight moorings at:-

1. Sonning (above the lock, free)
  2. Shiplake (Fee)
  3. Wargrave (Free - Opposite some v. posh houses)
  4. Henley (most definitely not Free, £8 & £9)
  5. Hurley (Fee - long layby you may be allowed to moor)
  6. Temple (free - far end of downstream layby)
  7. Marlow town (Fee)
  8. Marlow lock (Free well below the lock; may be "residents"
  9. Cookham (Fee - several nice restaurants in the village + art gallery)
  10. Maidenhead (astronomic fee)
  11. Boveney (Opposite Race course marina)
  12. WIndsor, well Eton actually (fee)
  13. Bell Weir (free well above the lock - small Italian restaurant - through a "Twitten")
  14. St.Aines (Free, below the bridge RHS after the pub)

Notes: Other than at lock sites fees payable may not be collected until the season starts.

Try to avoid mooring overnight between Boveney - well the Brocas at Eton if you must, and Bell Weir, the Jumbos and A330s end late at night and fly very low from 05:30 - right over your heads

Obviously Windsor is a draw, but Eton College has trips and you can get into St. George's chapel free if you attend a service - Choral Evensong has some lovely music - don't be inhibited...

I'm sure there's more, but enough for now...

As on all rivers remember the water has a flow. Dont try to moor with the flow, turn into it and use it to your advantage. Hopefully the river levels will have dropped a bit for you by March!!

Depending upon the length of narrow boat you hire, don't try to follow this bit of advice to slavishly, though!

Anybody who has ever had a narrow boat jammed across a bit of the Thames which is narrower than their boat is long will realise that advice that applies to one type of boat doesn't always work for another!

Generally in fact it is perfectly easy to moor a narrow boat with the flow on the Thames, provided you bring the back end in, and secure that first - the front end will stay put, and you can tie that up second at your leisure. A problem can only usually arise if you are used to having someone take off a rope and secure the front end first - in that case it is of course then highly possible the back end will get taken by the flow before you can secure it, (but even this can produce endless amusement to the large crowd of people who aleays seem to appear out of nowhere in such embarrassing situations!)

Mooring on rivers is completely different to the canals. The banks are owned by the adjacent landowners in most cases so casual mooring is not permitted.

I disagree. Mooring pointing downstream is perfectly simple, easier than mooring pointing upstream in fact, and saves having to turn the narrowboat twice.

The trick is to step off the stern and make fast with stern line first. Once you do this, the stream brings the bow in for you and everything gets amazingly easy.

When mooring upstream one needs to alight with the bowline first. Not easy at all with if single handing a full length boat, but ok if you have crew.

MtB

I disagree. Mooring pointing downstream is perfectly simple, easier than mooring pointing upstream in fact, and saves having to turn the narrowboat twice.

The trick is to step off the stern and make fast with stern line first. Once you do this, the stream brings the bow in for you and everything gets amazingly easy.

When mooring upstream one needs to alight with the bowline first. Not easy at all with if single handing a full length boat, but ok if you have crew.

MtB

Maybe alright for experienced boaters AND if there's plenty of spare room. Try that getting ashore above Osney Lock into a space just a bit longer than your boat.....

Much more fun it is to do a 180 degree turn ('specially if the river is not too wide) then come upstream gently, using the flow to slow you right down, nose in and let the flow tuck you in quietly. Hop off with your line and wait for applause....

Maybe alright for experienced boaters AND if there's plenty of spare room. Try that getting ashore above Osney Lock into a space just a bit longer than your boat.....

Much more fun it is to do a 180 degree turn ('specially if the river is not too wide) then come upstream gently, using the flow to slow you right down, nose in and let the flow tuck you in quietly. Hop off with your line and wait for applause....

But those moorings above Osney lock are the classic case of where it is completely impossible to turn a narrow boat of any significant length around to moor up.

The channel is maybe not much over 50 feet across at that point, (a forum member had a 54 foot boat wedged from one side to the other), so how on earth can you execute a 180 degree turn if attempting to moor a narrow boat there?

Well firstly you'll be needing a 23m long bow line but I'll let that one pass....

I'd like to see you hop off the stern of a full length narrowboat whilst holding the bow line then run 20+ metres up to the bow so you can attempt to hold the boat while you let the flow tuck you in quietly.

Far easier and less fine judgement required to moor going downstream when single handing. Or maybe you didn't notice I mentioned single handing :)

MtB

There is no right and wrong here, every situation is different and you use your skill and experience to decide. Boat length and flow rate are big factors.

With a hard bank and a big gap mooring heading downstream is fine. With a short gap its probably ok. You need to give some thought about how you are going to set off the next morning without hitting the downstream boat.

If mooring to a soft bank, probably between trees, then its almost certainly better to turn first and moor heading upstream.

Turning a long boat on a significant flow is itself not trivial and there is always a horrible moment when you are going sideways downstream and feeling very out of control.

I have seen moderately long boats turn above Osney where the side channel goes off, but I would not do it (even if we could).

The big thing with mooring is always to get the upstream rope on first, but even this has exceptions: the lock landing above Osney, and possibly that above Abingdon, can still be easier with a front (downstream) rope first as the flow is across the channel rather than with it!

.........Dave

Depending upon the length of narrow boat you hire, don't try to follow this bit of advice to slavishly, though!

Anybody who has ever had a narrow boat jammed across a bit of the Thames which is narrower than their boat is long will realise that advice that applies to one type of boat doesn't always work for another!

Generally in fact it is perfectly easy to moor a narrow boat with the flow on the Thames, provided you bring the back end in, and secure that first - the front end will stay put, and you can tie that up second at your leisure. A problem can only usually arise if you are used to having someone take off a rope and secure the front end first - in that case it is of course then highly possible the back end will get taken by the flow before you can secure it, (but even this can produce endless amusement to the large crowd of people who aleays seem to appear out of nowhere in such embarrassing situations!)

I have seen the devistation forst hand what happens when a supposedly experienced narrowboater tries to moor with the flow, and this was with a very slack flow during the summer on the non tidal Trent.blink.png

Is it really wise to suggest to novice hire crews that they should moor with the flow?

Is it really wise to suggest to novice hire crews that they should moor with the flow?

I would say when someone says in their first post that they have been hiring narrow boats for 10 years, you are probably talking to someone who is anything but a novice!

You haven't explained how you turn around to moor on those places on the Thames where the width of the river is less than the length of the boat, either!

How much experience do you have of trying to moor a narow boat on the Thames?

Most of my narrowboating is done on theThames and the faster flowing Kennet. I can count the times I have turned around to moor on one hand. When mooring with the flow, I use this special device which I call reverse gear. It seems to work quite well and I can recommend it.

I would say when someone says in their first post that they have been hiring narrow boats for 10 years, you are probably talking to someone who is anything but a novice!

You haven't explained how you turn around to moor on those places on the Thames where the width of the river is less than the length of the boat, either!

How much experience do you have of trying to moor a narow boat on the Thames?

At normal flow rate the Thames is moving at less than ONE mile per hour.

I can think of at least a dozen moorings where the current actually flows backwards,when mooring up,usually where the shape of a bend or island causes a back eddy.

When single -handing our boat i find it is often easier to step off the stern with a mid and stern line and the boat pointing down stream.

In normal flow conditions the OP not encounter much difficulty.

CT

Thank you all for your great advice. The boat we are hiring is 62' so I presume we will be able to turn it at some point. I suppose you need to judge which way to moor depending on the flow of water and where you are stopping.

Only thing which has me a bit puzzled is the instruction to use a bow and stern line in locks but not to wrap them around the bollards, if one of us is on the boat and one lock side I presume the stern line can be looped around a bollard and held by the 'driver'. We do not usually use lines in a lock but I presume that Thames locks are much longer than the usual 70' and you use your lines to hold you in position so not to crush any other craft sharing with you.

Do you know what just go for it.

Obviously river cruising is no different to canal cruising. There is nothing to worry about. Tie your ropes really tight at 90 degrees to the bank. Ignore the flow, don't bother watching weather forecasts, moor wherever you want,get as close to weirs as possible and generally have the boat on full ahead wherever you go.

Nothing to worry about.........

Thank you all for your great advice. The boat we are hiring is 62' so I presume we will be able to turn it at some point. I suppose you need to judge which way to moor depending on the flow of water and where you are stopping.

Only thing which has me a bit puzzled is the instruction to use a bow and stern line in locks but not to wrap them around the bollards, if one of us is on the boat and one lock side I presume the stern line can be looped around a bollard and held by the 'driver'. We do not usually use lines in a lock but I presume that Thames locks are much longer than the usual 70' and you use your lines to hold you in position so not to crush any other craft sharing with you.

Yes this is correct. And bear in mind if there are other boats with you in the huge locks (compared to canals) they will probably be fibreglass and don't withstand being bumped by a loose narrowboat very well. Or rather, their owners don't!

The comments about turning round as Osney are because the river is unusually narrow and fast flowing there. More or less everywhere else below Oxford you can turn any NB with acres of space. Above Oxford it's a bit different, the river gets narrow and twisty. I wouldn't bother with upstream of Oxford if I were you, it's dead boring in my opinion

Cue a storm of contradiction! :)

MtB

Do you know what just go for it.

Obviously river cruising is no different to canal cruising. There is nothing to worry about. Tie your ropes really tight at 90 degrees to the bank. Ignore the flow, don't bother watching weather forecasts, moor wherever you want,get as close to weirs as possible and generally have the boat on full ahead wherever you go.

Nothing to worry about.........

now tha'ts what I call a hissy fit :)