Frugally Living Aboard

ImmaDuckQuackQuack

Featured Posts

Fitting arrays of solar panels and systems to control power supply to appliances is great; I've used them.
They are expensive and adding up the total costs over time won't show much of a saving.

What you gain is convenience; not being reliant on shorepower. Not being reliant on water points (because you have low-water-use ways of washing and cleaning).

If you said that 5 years ago then it might well be the case. Solar is so cheap now It will pay for it's self in fuel costs alone well inside 2 years, let alone all the wear & tear it saves on engine running and or generators and all the servicing involved.

Our complete 740w system cost under £1200 and we chose a top of the range charge controller also. It will pay for it's self in 14 months, we'll then be left with a system giving us free energy for the next 19 years at least.

That's a far superior saving by a country mile, of any other money saving suggestion posted so far.

• Greenie 1

Brilliant idea for laundry! I think that would be ideal for us. we just shove a tarp over our wood piles, but im sure on the boat we would need to have some sort of solution to store a weeks worth of wood!

just make sure you can get rid of the moisture in the air too. On shoreline, we have a maeco DD8L dehumidifier sooking it up or away from that have windows open for decent ventilation

wouldn't it be great if there was a viable way of getting electric off the wood-burner too, like this? It would be nice to see some kind of thermoelectric system that could come close to solar efficiency/affordability like a giant version of the peltier generator thingy in an ecofan, or a bigger version of the biolite stove. Stove provides the hot, canal provides the cold. Surely a few hundred watts would be achievable? Could someone go away and make one cheaper please?

Edited by IainW

No one seems to be singing about LEDs here, or have I missed something?

Lights are one of the biggest drains on power, because they are on for extended periods of time. There are LED equivalents made for almost every lamp these days, some are pretty cheap, some more expensive, but all will save in the long run!

Lights are one of the biggest drains on power, because they are on for extended periods of time. There are LED equivalents made for almost every lamp these days, some are pretty cheap, some more expensive, but all will save in the long run!

I think most boaters use them now anyway, their so cheap now as well, unless you go to places like Bedazzled of course laugh.png Bedazzled would be regarded as a swear word on this thread I reckon laugh.png

We bought an inverter and a mini camping twin tub - run the engine for the inverter & will get solar fitted later this year. We have bought Coal this winter but are thinking of buying a chainsaw - we have foraged for wood and done OK this winter but as we only moved onboard in August; no chance to get much wood stockpiled. Buy locally & forage - might take up crocheting again

Very good point! Replacing our dim lights with LEDs transformed the dim cave our boat became at night into a nice bright place and used oodles less energy :) We bought ours from Bedazzled huh.png

Hi if you have an allotment a composting toilet is good for you as well. It may cost a bit more to buy but after that it costs nothing to run and will provide you food for your garden. I like you spent more on my boat at the beginning and have reaped the benefit over the years I have a large solar array, big full traction battery bank, LED lighting auto washer, dishwasher, 12v fridge freezer,wispergen which does central heating and charges batteries in winter, market leading insulation and a large water tank as you dont want to be filling up with water daily. Like you I have free wood so have a woodburner connected into the central heating also a bubble stove connected into the central heating. On reflection I would maybe have put a solidfuel cooker in the kitchen which also had a backboiler. I spent most of my savings doing this when I changed from a narrowboat to a widebeam It was all money well spent and has made my life easy and fairly cheap to live. I am blessed with having a few supermarkets on my short drive from boat to work and shop from the reduced counter. I also have a freezer at work and fill this up from the reduced counter. Good luck with your new life I for one would not change mine

Peter

Yes same as mine but as we know no more pumpouts or trudging up to the elsan disposal and for the op free manure even the wee can be poured onto her land my grandad used to swear by it for the grass. And as she is thinking solar panels they should easily cope with that small demand

Peter

Have a thermos flask near the kettle, make your brew then pour surplus boiling water into thermos flask for use later, saves energy and time x

Or don't boil surplus water in the first place ;)

We always fill our kettle with just 2 mugs of water if making tea for two!

Tbh sound like you have access to some great ways to keep living costs down that many of us can only dream of! Just have to see whether you could get used to being without some of your creature comforts and big appliances. Embrace different types of entertainment.

I have microwaved porridge for brekkie most mornings and often batch cook and microwave portions, but a microwave wouldn't work too well cruising and trying to use minimal electric. What's the alternative? Overnight stove top porridge? Having my big reheated meal for lunch on days I'm at the office? I think I'd really want a stove with a small oven (current oven barely big enough for a chicken so no change there!) but I haven't seen many second hand nbs with them.

In many ways I think life onboard would be MORE luxurious for me but I really do love my microwave!

Can you get away without using a fridge in the colder months if you keep everything in a locker outside instead? Edit... Maybe not if you keep meat for long but if you are getting in fresh and eating it that day it could work?

Edited by Aimee

Or don't boil surplus water in the first place ;)

We always fill our kettle with just 2 mugs of water if making tea for two!

I agree, but when I'm cruising I can nip inside after doing a lock and tied and make a swift cuppa and carry on without waiting for the kettle

I have always had and used a microwave on the boat. I tend to use it just to quickly heat up rather than cook. MIne is only a 700w so takes a while to heat up and I tend to use it whilst running the engine if I am not on shore line. There are ways and means to run most things.

Sounds like I should check out this bedazzled place everyone is talking about...

No.

You should check out eBay where you can get the same product for a tenth of the price as that sold at Befuddled.

I have always had and used a microwave on the boat. I tend to use it just to quickly heat up rather than cook. MIne is only a 700w so takes a while to heat up and I tend to use it whilst running the engine if I am not on shore line. There are ways and means to run most things.

We don't use our knucker at home it just takes up space so certainly wouldn't want one on the boat!