Frugally Living Aboard

ImmaDuckQuackQuack

Featured Posts

I/m saddened to see The Pig Place up for sale - it is run by nice people and the sale suggests that they are unable to make it a commercial success.

Lady Muck, those moorings with bits of land attached are between the Old Mill bridge at Cropredy and Slat Mill lock. They don't have large parcels of land, but I think one of the moorers keeps hens there.

I live on my boat for half the week. I find my 170W solar panel more than enough to run the fridge in the summer all day, and have TV in the evening (through to October). In October, the panel is enough for the TV laptop etc, but the fridge gets switched off. In Nov and Dec I need the panel to be up at an angle for it to be enough for the TV.. Problem is the wind, which means I have to put the panel flat. With the panel flat, I get half the charge from the panel, which means on very cloudy weeks, I need to run the engine to supplement the panel. I have run the engine for just 3 hours since fitting the panels in June for the purposes of topping up the batteries.. I would say therefore that 300-400W panels should be adequate for me if I was full time live aboard. Have a google for Bimble Solar and Navitron to get an idea of suitable prices for solar. My 170W panel, mppt controller and all the wiring cost me £230. Should be a bit cheaper now.

As for washing machine, get a small generator and run it for the hour that the machine is on. I have an inverter, and just run the engine when the washing machine is on. Same with Hoover. I have a generator, but it's broke.. Cost for running engine is about £1.50 per hour.

In the past year my costs have been

Mooring £1650

Coal £200

Gas ( cooking, instant hot water, occasional boiler) £50

Heat logs (great for quick heat) £50

Licence £900

Blacking £300

Diesel £300 ( have cruised approx 250-300 miles)

Repairs / maintenance for the boat £400

Beer : countless amounts!

I/m saddened to see The Pig Place up for sale - it is run by nice people and the sale suggests that they are unable to make it a commercial success.

Lady Muck, those moorings with bits of land attached are between the Old Mill bridge at Cropredy and Slat Mill lock. They don't have large parcels of land, but I think one of the moorers keeps hens there.

Am I right in thinking theres similiar on the North Oxford as well with much more land? On the offside?

Right... but my point was that it costs a lot of money to keep the boat floating on all this water. If not spending any money is the object then I'm sure there are cheaper ways to live.

Yep, I have no problem spending money on the boat, for maintenance, and other costs to keep it ship shape (excuse the pun). I was just asking for tips on ways of living frugally onboard if there was any, like free wood, solar panels, foraging. no matter where you live life costs money, and no where have I asked, 'Can I live on a boat and not spend any money'

We kept goats - Nancy the goat would only let my dad anywhere near her and would only let him milk her if he bribed her with smarties first. She was a better guard animal than any dog. Lost count of the times we'd find a young boy up in a tree in our garden because she'd chased him there.

We had pet owls as well - mum and dad did some work with an owl sanctuary. Now that was a strange one!

My uncle had goats when we were very young... I remember being chased by them to a fence which I managed to scramble up and over to safety.... or so I thought!!! Only to come face to face with Turkeys and geese running at me!!!! I dont think my legs have ever sprinted so fast in my life!! :lol:

Ah now, Owls, that is one animal I adore!

What's up Duck? If you want to let you imagination expand a bit, have a look at this place, not too far from you. http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-38718256.html

Anything is possible.

Ooooh I WISH!!!! :o

I live on my boat for half the week. I find my 170W solar panel more than enough to run the fridge in the summer all day, and have TV in the evening (through to October). In October, the panel is enough for the TV laptop etc, but the fridge gets switched off. In Nov and Dec I need the panel to be up at an angle for it to be enough for the TV.. Problem is the wind, which means I have to put the panel flat. With the panel flat, I get half the charge from the panel, which means on very cloudy weeks, I need to run the engine to supplement the panel. I have run the engine for just 3 hours since fitting the panels in June for the purposes of topping up the batteries.. I would say therefore that 300-400W panels should be adequate for me if I was full time live aboard. Have a google for Bimble Solar and Navitron to get an idea of suitable prices for solar. My 170W panel, mppt controller and all the wiring cost me £230. Should be a bit cheaper now.

As for washing machine, get a small generator and run it for the hour that the machine is on. I have an inverter, and just run the engine when the washing machine is on. Same with Hoover. I have a generator, but it's broke.. Cost for running engine is about £1.50 per hour.

In the past year my costs have been

Mooring £1650

Coal £200

Gas ( cooking, instant hot water, occasional boiler) £50

Heat logs (great for quick heat) £50

Licence £900

Blacking £300

Diesel £300 ( have cruised approx 250-300 miles)

Repairs / maintenance for the boat £400

Beer : countless amounts!

Thank you!! very informative post, extremely helpful. Will check out that site for the solar, :D

Except Badgers!

Never fancied eating one to be fair! no good?

Unless you need a shaving brush.

smile.png

:lol:

Yes you did and it cost me 35 ltr.

sad.png

Is there nothing like a lockable fuel cap that you can fit to a boat to stop such things happening?

on a more hilarious note... if only... http://www.snopes.com/autos/theft/siphon.asp

Some of the best prices for PV panels are to be found on Ebay. I recently bought 3 x 100 watt panels for about £250

Phil

If Dave reads this & gets it in his head that I can "hand wash" our clothes Southern Star ...... your dead meatbanned.gifbiggrin.png

Hey Phil,

Just curious, what type of power supply do you have set up....invertor, genny, battery bank, solar?

Ta

B~

Hi Bettie, we do have shoreline when in marina but when cruising we have 90amp alternator, Sterling battery to battery charger, 3 x 100watt PV panels and a 4kv inboard genny but we never use that. Must admit our cruising tends to be in 1 week chunks normally so our BB always gets a good boost on a weekly basis when we get back to hook up. (By the way,how you doing)

Phil

Oops forgot 5 x 110a/h domestic bank

Edited by Phil Ambrose

Some of the best prices for PV panels are to be found on Ebay. I recently bought 3 x 100 watt panels for about £250

Phil

Fantastic thank you! Im still trying to get my head around all the electrical speak, like amp hour and watts and how much power they can actually create... mind boggling! :o must see if ebay do idiots guide to boat electrics!

The thought that living frugally can be about something ells than not wanting to spend money can be very aggravating and difficult to understand for some. Some just don't want to consume, even if they could. And some even ENJOY hand washing, baking, crafting. Just doing creative things for ones self and others.....can give so much more than vegetating in your settee, complaining about everyone ells's personal choices.

• Greenie 3

Fantastic thank you! Im still trying to get my head around all the electrical speak, like amp hour and watts and how much power they can actually create... mind boggling! :o must see if ebay do idiots guide to boat electrics!

300watts under ideal conditions, full overhead sun and with the panels orientated towards the sun could produce circa 24amps per hour but to get these conditions you would have to be very lucky. However a PV array will make a more than useful contribution to your power needs for 8 months of the year, the shorter darker wimter months will produce considerably less though if you are prepared to work at it (moving and tilting panels to align with the sun) you will get better results as some of our members do.

Phil

• Greenie 1

Some of the best prices for PV panels are to be found on Ebay. I recently bought 3 x 100 watt panels for about £250PhilHi Bettie, we do have shoreline when in marina but when cruising we have 90amp alternator, Sterling battery to battery charger, 3 x 100watt PV panels and a 4kv inboard genny but we never use that. Must admit our cruising tends to be in 1 week chunks normally so our BB always gets a good boost on a weekly basis when we get back to hook up. (By the way,how you doing)PhilOops forgot 5 x 110a/h domestic bank

. Great Phil, thanx for asking. The movers are booked, AB Tuckey all organised, insurance -just waiting to receive final paperwork, need to get license when we get the insurance paperwork, new loose furniture bought for the boat, found the washer I want today, just need the freezer, anchor & some chain, couple of life vests & a new covered kitty litter tray :) it's all coming together rather quickly now!! Edited by Bettie Boo

Someone said earlier you can't run a stove on wood 24/7 in the winter (sorry, it was pages back and I'm being lazy). You can if you have the right or seasoned wood and somewhere to store it. We didn't buy any coal last winter until April, when we ran out of wood because Spring decided to make a very late appearance. We are lucky that my in-laws have a bit of land so we take our wood down there to store and season if necessary - we've just arrived back from a visit with a roof load :)

Someone said earlier you can't run a stove on wood 24/7 in the winter (sorry, it was pages back and I'm being lazy). You can if you have the right or seasoned wood and somewhere to store it. We didn't buy any coal last winter until April, when we ran out of wood because Spring decided to make a very late appearance. We are lucky that my in-laws have a bit of land so we take our wood down there to store and season if necessary - we've just arrived back from a visit with a roof load smile.png

Yes, seasoned wood! In rural France they have three woodpiles; cut this year and last year outside and the two-year-old pile under cover, usually in a barn.

I have known my Jotul log-burner to stay in for 48 hours but, with it's solid, insulated base it cannot burn coal. It burns wood on a bed of woodash at least an inch deep.

I am pleased if a multi-fuel stove, with a grid above an ashpan, stays in overnight on any sort of coal.

The thought that living frugally can be about something ells than not wanting to spend money can be very aggravating and difficult to understand for some. Some just don't want to consume, even if they could. And some even ENJOY hand washing, baking, crafting. Just doing creative things for ones self and others.....can give so much more than vegetating in your settee, complaining about everyone ells's personal choices.

A greenie for you - well said (still not sold on the "washing by hand" though) clapping.gif

Since finding our boat, I've taken up knitting & crocheting again. I haven't picked up a set of needles since I was about 8 or 9 years old after my Dad taught me how to knit. I'm about 1/2 through crocheting my first of 2 Alpaca afghans I'm going to make for the saloon. Although I've thoroughly enjoyed making this one, I can't wait to be on our boat, with it gently rocking, the fire going while the rain pity patters on the roof; watching Dave read "electrics for Dummies" while I make the matching one smile.png

Well that's one of my little dreams anyway......another is planting up 8 or 10 planters on the roof this spring with a variety of herbs, eatable flowers, & some salad mix.....I Can't Wait!!!cloud9.gif

Edited for spelling "Dummies" LOL

Edited by Bettie Boo

Thank you! and well said, I'm not adverse to hand washing, in fact its rather theraputic! I love to bake, create things from junk, make jam from foraged fruits, grow my own fruit and veg and raise meat, its the things I wish for my children to learn and their children's children too, there are people who cannot see the benefits of doing such things, and fair enough each to their own, but if we all believed in the same things and ideals the world would be a very monotonous, boring place!!! - You sir, have a greenie! cheers.gif

300watts under ideal conditions, full overhead sun and with the panels orientated towards the sun could produce circa 24amps per hour but to get these conditions you would have to be very lucky. However a PV array will make a more than useful contribution to your power needs for 8 months of the year, the shorter darker wimter months will produce considerably less though if you are prepared to work at it (moving and tilting panels to align with the sun) you will get better results as some of our members do.

Phil

clapping.gif Thank you so much, extremely helpful! that's made things clearer for me for our requirements :)

. Great Phil, thanx for asking. The movers are booked, AB Tuckey all organised, insurance -just waiting to receive final paperwork, need to get license when we get the insurance paperwork, new loose furniture bought for the boat, found the washer I want today, just need the freezer, anchor & some chain, couple of life vests & a new covered kitty litter tray smile.png it's all coming together rather quickly now!!

Ooooh I am jealous! ... still looking for our boat, good luck!!! :D

Someone said earlier you can't run a stove on wood 24/7 in the winter (sorry, it was pages back and I'm being lazy). You can if you have the right or seasoned wood and somewhere to store it. We didn't buy any coal last winter until April, when we ran out of wood because Spring decided to make a very late appearance. We are lucky that my in-laws have a bit of land so we take our wood down there to store and season if necessary - we've just arrived back from a visit with a roof load smile.png

clapping.gif Thank you! I have managed to run our open fire on seasoned wood 24/7, but it takes a lot of wood to keep it going, I was hoping a stove would be more efficient to burn on. We have access to an orchard so can cut wood as and when we need to and create large piles to season, usually every 6 months we will make a pile and tarp it, its worked for us so far.

Yes, seasoned wood! In rural France they have three woodpiles; cut this year and last year outside and the two-year-old pile under cover, usually in a barn.

I have known my Jotul log-burner to stay in for 48 hours but, with it's solid, insulated base it cannot burn coal. It burns wood on a bed of woodash at least an inch deep.

I am pleased if a multi-fuel stove, with a grid above an ashpan, stays in overnight on any sort of coal.

I've taken a note of your log burner make, thanks! does it have a back boiler? :)

A greenie for you - well said (still not sold on the "washing by hand" though) clapping.gif

Since finding our boat, I've taken up knitting & crocheting again. I haven't picked up a set of needles since I was about 8 or 9 years old after my Dad taught me how to knit. I'm about 1/2 through crocheting my first of 2 Alpaca afghans I'm going to make for the saloon. Although I've thoroughly enjoyed making this one, I can't wait to be on our boat, with it gently rocking, the fire going while the rain pity patters on the roof; watching Dave read "electrics for Dummies" while I make the matching one smile.png

Well that's one of my little dreams anyway......another is planting up 8 or 10 planters on the roof this spring with a variety of herbs, eatable flowers, & some salad mix.....I Can't Wait!!!cloud9.gif

Edited for spelling "Dummies" LOL

Sounds idillic! :D I can see my boat covered in solar panels and planters when we finally get one! hahaha, I have always wanted t learn to crochet, I can knit but haven't since my daughter was a baby, I think I shall have to take it up again! clapping.gif

this thread is a great read!

we have a twin-tub washing machine that doesn't need many watts because it doesn't heat the water, then we dry the clothes in front of the wood burner. That saves on laundry costs i think.

getting a source of free wood is one of the best things i think, perhaps landscape gardeners or tree surgeons you know. Although consider wind-blow next to the canal where there isn't good access by road, that gives the best chance of the wood being available without the land-owner minding. After stormy weather is a good time to look, we just got a dead Horse Chestnut tree from a council car park, we were even thanked by local residents for removing it! It's given us a whole winters wood for a few boats, because it has stood dead and drying for 5 years. Storage is the next challenge, but the offer of giving some of the wood pile in return for storage should be enough for a farmer or someone else. Oh and 8 (free) pallets plus a sheet of 8x4 ply makes a quick, cheap wood store.

Edited by IainW

we have a twin-tub washing machine that doesn't need many watts because it doesn't heat the water, then we dry the clothes in front of the wood burner. That saves on laundry costs i think.

getting a source of free wood is one of the best things i think, perhaps landscape gardeners or tree surgeons you know. Although consider wind-blow next to the canal where there isn't good access by road, that gives the best chance of the wood being available without the land-owner minding. After stormy weather is a good time to look, we just got a dead Horse Chestnut tree from a council car park, we were even thanked by local residents for removing it! It's given us a whole winters wood for a few boats, because it has stood dead and drying for 5 years. Storage is the next challenge, but the offer of giving some of the wood pile in return for storage should be enough for a farmer or someone else. Oh and 8 (free) pallets plus a sheet of 8x4 ply makes a quick, cheap wood store.

Brilliant idea for laundry! I think that would be ideal for us. we just shove a tarp over our wood piles, but im sure on the boat we would need to have some sort of solution to store a weeks worth of wood!

Many boat dwellers have found twin-tubs to be good. If you have a calorifier then you aremaking use of waste heat from the engine - that waste heat then helps with the washing.

What we found (on research) is that many of these useful things aren't up to coping with the amount of laundry produced by a family of 3 adults and four children.

Hand washing is fine for one person, but uses a lot of water compared to machine washing. When I was effectively a single person living on a boat I bought a 'handy wash'; this is a plastic drum a bit like a butter churn. It could do 3 shirts or a pair of jeans at a time but used very little water. Since there wasn't a water point at my mooring, being frugal with water was very important.

Fitting arrays of solar panels and systems to control power supply to appliances is great; I've used them. They are expensive and adding up the total costs over time won't show much of a saving. What you gain is convenience; not being reliant on shorepower. Not being reliant on water points (because you have low-water-use ways of washing and cleaning).

IMO, solid fuel stoves are the best bang for the buck when it comes to frugality. If you have the time then it is possible to feed them on freely-gathered wood (although it takes a *lot* of wood and is really only feasible if you have a home mooring where you can store wood).

Our wood is all foraged from the towpath, or, in some cases, from the canal itself! Dave & I spent one entire afternoon salvaging a large lump of oak from the canal - it's incredible how heavy gets when it's waterlogged. In the end we got a plank of wood under the lump which I stood on while Dave used the chainsaw to cut it in half. Once that was done a combination of the lever plank and rope got both halves out of the water. We got a lot of puzzled looks from towpath walkers :D

The rest of the time it's just keeping an eye out for cut wood that's been left behind by CRT workers (who know it won't stay there long) or fallen trees.

We once cruised past the end of a garden and were called over by the house owner who was cutting down a big leylandi tree and was chuffed that we came along at the right time to take it away. We took the whole lot down to Kent and two year's later it did us for a few months.

It's great fun and very rewarding knowing you're heating your boat for free.