Man found dead on Boat

ditchcrawler

Featured Posts

The CO alarm in the link has suddenly increased from £15.99 to £19.99. Still a saving of a tenner though.

Probably because they have just sold loads of them to forum members, myself included.

Martin, the smoke detector that you have linked to, I see it is toast proof. Which is good. What about overdoing the bacon?

Also in my edit is this, I knew this chap and the dog, and have found myself continually thinking about them both. It upset me yo be honest. One blessing is that the dog went as well as I'm sure Millie would have been lost without him. In my ignorance, I would have thought the dog would have been aware summat was wrong and alert her owner. In an earlier post it was mentioned that CO is odourless.

Martyn

Edit to add. Just seen that this was a deal of the day, and the day was yesterday. Not today or any other day. Too many daze?

Edited by Nightwatch

The CO alarm in the link has suddenly increased from £15.99 to £19.99. Still a saving of a tenner though.

Probably because they have just sold loads of them to forum members, myself included.

Martin, the smoke detector that you have linked to, I see it is toast proof. Which is good. What about overdoing the bacon?

Also in my edit is this, I knew this chap and the dog, and have found myself continually thinking about them both. It upset me yo be honest. One blessing is that the dog went as well as I'm sure Millie would have been lost without him. In my ignorance, I would have thought the dog would have been aware summat was wrong and alert her owner. In an earlier post it was mentioned that CO is odourless.

Martyn

Edit to add. Just seen that this was a deal of the day, and the day was yesterday. Not today or any other day. Too many daze?

I'm not sure what you mean - it just means it's a type less likely to be triggered as a false alarm so you are less likely to be tempted to take out the batteries and forget to put them back in. Some people advise fitting both types as in an ionisation alarm and an optical one.

PS - I too noticed the price of that CO alarm had increased and it was for a time at more than the price it was when first linked too by Stewey as 'deal of the day' and what it is now, about half way between I think.. I've noticed this on Amazon before and would wager their systems are set up to automatically increase the price of an item that they detect (no pun intended) is selling well.

Edited by The Dog House

Further ed - I initially thought that was the same as the one we have on the boat but it is an ionisation alarm that Which claimed 'failed' and ours is the optical (toast proof) version.

I have returned two optical smoke alarms to Fireangel for going off when there was no smoke at all. They seemed entirely unsurprised when I phoned them, and told me how to disable them for return. Although they replaced them without question, it rather undermined my faith in the make. However I have since learned that dampness can be a contributory factor to malfunction, and as the boat is left unattended for a month at a time in winter, this may have something to do with it.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

I have returned two optical smoke alarms to Fireangel for going off when there was no smoke at all. They seemed entirely unsurprised when I phoned them, and told me how to disable them for return. Although they replaced them without question, it rather undermined my faith in the make. However I have since learned that dampness can be a contributory factor to malfunction, and as the boat is left unattended for a month at a time in winter, this may have something to do with it.

It's worth noting too that CO alarms do not take too well to very low temperatures so we bring ours home now if we are not on the boat in winter.

I believe dampness can indeed affect the optical type smoke detectors and I understand for that reason they are quite specific about not locating in or close to a bath/shower room, seems a worry though that they are apparently not resistant to the overall atmospheric dampness of a boat left unattended.

Edited by The Dog House

I had an optical alarm flat on a high shelf for a while before installing, but it got dust inside and would give false triggers so I took it apart and there was a few bits of dust in the detection chamber. :)

Maybe an ionisation one would work better for dusty environments though they're veeery sensitive to burnt toast. :o

Dunno if BSS Rob is reading this but maybe as part of BSS the examiners could record what brand smoke/CO alarms are fitted in the boat and where, and if the owner is around get some feedback on whether they're happy with them or they get false alarms.

The data could then help in making recommendations of what to buy and where to put it, even helping for making them compulsory in future. Gotto be worthwhile and make a bigger difference to safety than some parts of the BSS. :)

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

I had an optical alarm flat on a high shelf for a while before installing, but it got dust inside and would give false triggers so I took it apart and there was a few bits of dust in the detection chamber. :)

Maybe an ionisation one would work better for dusty environments though they're veeery sensitive to burnt toast. :o

Dunno if BSS Rob is reading this but maybe as part of BSS the examiners could record what brand smoke/CO alarms are fitted in the boat and where, and if the owner is around get some feedback on whether they're happy with them or they get false alarms.

The data could then help in making recommendations of what to buy and where to put it, even helping for making them compulsory in future. Gotto be worthwhile and make a bigger difference to safety than some parts of the BSS. :)

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Re dust: I'm sure I have had smoke alarms which recommend you vacuum them occasionally.

Agree with the idea of a list of recommended alarms, good idea!

Interesting to hear about the Fireangel alarm. That's what mine is, and it has gone off once in the evening for the last two days. I am not convinced that it is wrong, as my stove is dicky in about five different ways, any of which might be playing up, but I cannot see any smoke when it does it and it is something else to think about. I will look at getting another different brand alarm when possible to find out for sure.

I have two FireAngel alarms, one ionisatioon, one optical, and (now) two of their CO alarms

They are sensitive, and both the smoke alarms have sounded (at different times) - first when I burnt the toast, second with a neighbours foul chimney output.

I would far rather they are sensitive, and sound 'too early' than sound off 'too late'.

I have two FireAngel alarms, one ionisatioon, one optical, and (now) two of their CO alarms

They are sensitive, and both the smoke alarms have sounded (at different times) - first when I burnt the toast, second with a neighbours foul chimney output.

I would far rather they are sensitive, and sound 'too early' than sound off 'too late'.

I saw today an anti toast alarm in B&Q

Something that hasn't been mentioned so far is adequate ventilation - so many, these days, move to boats having come from hermetically sealed living quarters with no experience of stoves or fires. Years ago, we would live in relatively drafty houses, and still have windows open to let in the 'fresh air' - this was because in those days we heated our houses with coal or gas fires.

IMHO, if one has a stove, gas cooker, gas water heater etc. on a boat, it would be unwise to sleep with all the hatches tightly shut (even on the coldest of nights) unless there is a good volume of fresh air flowing from ventilation ports. Ventilation is checked during the BSS examination although I think the findings are usually regarded as advisory.

The problem with this is that human nature means people 'discount' the alarm sound once it builds up a track record of sounding 'too early', meaning on the day it legitimately sounds a warning, everyone ignores it. The boy who cried wolf effect.

And as I constantly suggest on here, best to have two different makes and models of CO alarm in your boat then if they both sound, it is likely there is a genuine problem. If only one sounds, the other may not be working. Hmmmm.....

MtB

• Greenie 1

Not exactly crammed with information, is it?

Indeed - but it does say 'no toxic gases were discovered' which potentially rules out CO poisoning. Unless it had all dissipated by the time the emergency services arrived of course.