livingonanarrowboat.co.uk "guide" Is it legit?

Jenza

Featured Posts

Maybe those that are unhappy with some of the content on this forum could seek to improve it? It never ceases to amaze me that some have an expectation of what they should or shouldn't see on a user populated forum.

I would also like to add that we have had a load of new forum members of late that are getting fully stuck in and keeping things fresh.

Maybe Paul could start to become a regular poster in the living afloat section?

I would love to but my own site, and the nuisance of having to work full time, keeps me pretty much fully occupied!

We keep hearing this but yet there seems to very little actual evidence of it...certainly of late.

The new members who seem to get the hardest time are the blatant spammers and rightly so.

Sorry DH, but I don't agree with the above quote at all - I've seen numerous new members post innocent questions, only to receive ridicule from a few experienced/long standing members. Thankfully there are a "somewhat equal" amount of helpful experienced/long standing members who actively try to assist & guide the new members. If it wasn't for them, there would be a massive amount of "members" but very few who would be willing to create a new topic for a second time, or even post to someone else's thread

WOW... i never thought this thread would explode like this! I guess even as a newbie about to get her boat, Im still making waves! *ba dum tsh!*

Janza - you'll get accustomed to opening up the preverbal can of worms around here, simply by asking the most innocent of questions. After seperating the wheat from the chaff, disregarding all the toing and frowing about the likes and dislikes of the web site, your left with at least 10 members who have made positive comments regarding Paul, his ability/knowledge, and the usefullness of his publications.

BTW - welcome to the forum :)

• Greenie 1

I would love to but my own site, and the nuisance of having to work full time, keeps me pretty much fully occupied!

I guess this is what makes me uneasy. As far as I know Paul's site does not affect me at all, but there are many here who have long term association with waterway matters, and who give freely (i.e. for free) of their information built up over many years, even though they also make their living from that information.

Paul has been on the waterways for some 4 years and is making any information he has available at a price - information he has gleaned at least in part from the various professionals who have freely given their advice.

OK so far, but here he then says he is not prepared to participate in offering any advice for free himself. He is even getting free advice about improving his site, some of it from people with sites of their own, and it does leave me feeling uncomfortable.

There's suposed to be a bit of give along with the take

Tam

Edited by Tam & Di
  • Greenie 3

Or, hire someone who is both a boater and a freelance writer to copy edit it. :Dwink.png

Nice one Star - I found Paul's site informative, although we didn't download the book until we moved aboard - I find I can get answers I need on here - the part about comments to newbies on here can be true, but it is the same on Amy forum for any subject you Cate to name.

I like "Living on a narrowboat" site as the help and advice that I have been given has been free and useful and they have shown an interest in me and my boat. The articles and forum entries can be amusing, informative and interesting and have been very helpful and very rarely result in adverse comments, "bandwagon jumpers" or rude comments. There can be constructive criticsm and this is put in a positive way, which is usually appreciated too by way of a thanks.

I have never been asked to pay anything and never been asked to donate either.

I guess this is what makes me uneasy. As far as I know Paul's site does not affect me at all, but there are many here who have long term association with waterway matters, and who give freely (i.e. for free) of their information built up over many years, even though they also make their living from that information.

Paul has been on the waterways for some 4 years and is making any information he has available at a price - information he has gleaned at least in part from the various professionals who have freely given their advice.

OK so far, but here he then says he is not prepared to participate in offering any advice for free himself. He is even getting free advice about improving his site, some of it from people with sites of their own, and it does leave me feeling uncomfortable.

Tam

Oh dear Tam. I take it you have never visited my site.

Firstly let me take issue with your comment "and is making any information he has available at a price". I created my site in 2010 when I first moved on board. During the first couple of years I spent at least thirty hours every week, in addition to my paid forty five hours a week in the real world, adding content to the site. A site which was - still is - completely free to use.

It wasn't until September 2012 that I published my first paid for guide. Visitors to my site weren't forced to buy the guide in order to continue using the site or reading the free content. The guide simply provided them a quick and easy way to get hold of the information they needed. Isn't that what any service provider does? Boat movers move boats for owners who either lack the time or the confidence to move the boats themselves. Narrowboat painters offer a hassle free way for boat owners to make their pride and joy pretty again. Boat handymen charge an hourly rate in exchange for their accumulated knowledge and skill. The Nicholson and Pearson guides offer handy resources packed with useful information. I am no different in what I do.

Actually that's not quite true. In addition to offering several paid for guides, and access to a bespoke narrowboat budget calculator, I continue to spend at least twenty hours every week of the year adding more free content to the site. To date the site has 350 posts and 75 pages in the main section and over 4,100 posts on the forum I added in June 2012. Over 1,000 of those posts are written by me. I also receive about a dozen emails asking for advice every day. I answer all of them. I also write a (free) weekly newsletter which goes out to 4,600 subscribers. Each newsletter takes a full day to write.

Tam, please don't accuse me of only offering paid for advice.

Going back to my original post which you seem to have taken exception to, I don't post on this forum because I simply don't have the time. You said "

There's suposed to be a bit of give along with the take"

Don't you think I give enough Tam? What more do you suggest I do?

I don't expect to get rich from the narrowboat products I sell. All I try to do is generate some income to help with the site costs. I've invested thousands of hours adding content to the site. I've also invested thousands of pounds in the site. That money has been hard to come by because, and this may surprise you, I don't earn a fortune working as a groundsman at an inland waterways marina.

One final point on the subject of giving back. My products are advertised on the boating section of CRT's web site. The reason they're advertised on the Trust's site, after a very thorough examination by the CRT lawyers, is that I give 50% of the revenue (revenue, not profit) generated from sales of the products back to the charity.

Still think I don't contribute enough Tam?

Anyway, rant over. Merry Christmas everyone!

• Greenie 2

Tam

Clearly you haven't visited Paul's site, otherwise you would know that by registering, which is free, you get a very entertaining, well written newsletter EVERY SUNDAY drop into your inbox, which has a different and quite relevant topic each week. I for one learned from one a few weeks ago that I am entitled to a winter fuel allowance, which through my ignorance I didn't think I was eligible for until I reached retirement age. Not only that but it included links to the relevant official government website and a useful form of letter for those of us that use a relatives address as our main point of contact.

No charge was made for that little gem, and stands to benefit me several hundred pounds over the coming three years.

The forum that he runs, although much smaller than this one, is very friendly and useful. And, like this forum, is FREE!

I personally think he runs a very useful site, and long may it continue. He clearly has some expense in running the site, to say nothing of his time and enthusiasm in its operation, so I don't think that he should be pilloried for marketing a useful (to some) costs calculator.

Keep up the good work Paul!

Ken

Maybe some jealousy involved (I wish I'd thought of it)? In the ideal world it would be nice if everyone utilised their gifts and labour for nothing. We could even phase out the concept of money (what would bankers do for us in that world though?). Unfortunately it is the real world....Merry Christmas

I have not visited your site. I was reacting to you apparently saying you did not propose to offer advice on here.

I apologise unreservedly.

Very gracious of you to say so. Virtual greenie.

I'm afraid to say I am one of those who greenied your original rant having not visited Paul's site either, and prior to reading his response.

MtB

I am a bit late coming to this thread. Just to add that I have met Paul and he is a genuine and helpful person - he tries (and usually succeeds) to answer every question on the forum personally or point the person in the right direction if he does not know the answer - for free!!

To slag him off for making a few quid selling something, which is very good value IMO (and no-one is forced to buy), is pathetic. He is not going to get rich from these sales or his website. After extensive vetting, CaRT have approved his products and provide a link to them on their website. I must agree that the sales page has lots of room for improvement, though. I had not seen it before.

I am a bit late coming to this thread. Just to add that I have met Paul and he is a genuine and helpful person - he tries (and usually succeeds) to answer every question on the forum personally or point the person in the right direction if he does not know the answer - for free!!

To slag him off for making a few quid selling something, which is very good value IMO (and no-one is forced to buy), is pathetic. He is not going to get rich from these sales or his website. After extensive vetting, CaRT have approved his products and provide a link to them on their website. I must agree that the sales page has lots of room for improvement, though. I had not seen it before.

Ok, lets visit the site then. Here's the link provided in the OP. http://guides.livingonanarrowboat.co.uk/

Where is all the free information? All I can see is a load af American style blow-hard 'buy now or lose the chance forever' stuff. Agreed I don't have to buy it, but my eyes glazed over with all the descriptions of how fantastic the site is and how much money I'll be saving, with no content available whatsoever as I scrolled down through the reams of waffle.

Ok a bit of thought reveals the real site here, at http://livingonanarrowboat.co.uk/ where the real Paul can be found, but one shouldn't need to guess at links!

Alanji, have YOU actually visited and viewed the link in the original post? If you do, you'll perhaps understand the negative comments.

MtB

Edit to add the link again, stripped out by the forum software for some reason

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Ok, lets visit the site then. Here's the link provided in the OP. http://guides.livingonanarrowboat.co.uk/

Where is all the free information? All I can see is a load af American style blow-hard 'buy now or lose the chance forever' stuff. Agreed I don't have to buy it, but my eyes glazed over with all the descriptions of how fantastic the site is and how much money I'll be saving, with no content available whatsoever as I scrolled down through the reams of waffle.

Ok a bit of thought reveals the real site here, at http://livingonanarrowboat.co.uk/ where the real Paul can be found, but one shouldn't need to guess at links!

Alanji, have YOU actually visited and viewed the link in the original post? If you do, you'll perhaps understand the negative comments.

MtB

Edit to add the link again, stripped out by the forum software for some reason

Hi Mike,

The free information is here http://livingonanarrowboat.co.uk/forum/ see the "Newsletter Archive" for a start - all provided for free.

See the last sentence of my post I must agree that the sales page has lots of room for improvement, though. I had not seen it before.

Paul has already posted to say he is revising the page, as we speak.

ETA I see you have edited to add the link - on that page you will see there is a guide available for FREE download.

Edited by Alanji

Hi Mike,

The free information is here http://livingonanarrowboat.co.uk/forum/ see the "Newsletter Archive" for a start - all provided for free.

See the last sentence of my post I must agree that the sales page has lots of room for improvement, though. I had not seen it before.

Paul has already posted to say he is revising the page, as we speak.

This is where the problem lies. A lot of people including me initially thought the sales page was the ONLY page!

MtB

I've visited the site on numerous occasions and found it very informative.

It was a pity that the OP only posted a link to the sales pitch which gave a rather negative impression as there was no link to the actual content on the site.

Janet

• Greenie 1