livingonanarrowboat.co.uk "guide" Is it legit?

Jenza

Featured Posts

I agree that the sales copy isn't perfect but it cost me an extortionate amount to have a copy writer do it for me and the results are better than they were from my own poor efforts.

If you paid somebody to write that crap, then I will revise my opinion.

I previously thought that you were probably genuine, but giving an image of being a con-artist.

I now appreciate that you have been the victim of a con. Somebody has taken you to the cleaners if you paid for that drivel.

I would suggest that you re-evaluate your strategy. Are you trying to provide a service that you are paid for or are you trying to maximise your income without regard to the service?

If you actually want to help people whilst being paid for it, your strategy won't work, because you are actually selling to the gullible who are dreaming of owning a boat rather than people who might actually buy a boat.

Unfortunate that you spent so much on professional copywriting, as in my opinion it's a double-edged sword. Website content that obviously ISN'T professionally written but knocked together by someone who obviously knows and loves their subject can be far more powerful as punters are not stupid. As evidenced by this thread, slick professional copy makes people suspicious rather than trusting.

I make my living from websites I've written myself and my clearly explained technical and factual content delivered in a plain text-only format has my phone jumping off the hook most of the time.

MtB

P.S. To Jenza, there also is a hard copy book called The Liveaboard Guide" available, by Tony Jones, also a forum member here. Username TonyReptiles. (Guess what his other area of expertise is, lol!)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Liveaboard-Guide-Living-Waterways/dp/1408145553

Point taken, but once again, the results are better now than they were with my own efforts. I even split tested the two different styles and the slick copy came out way ahead. Maybe I should have another go at it myself.

Well don't often post as one of the those newbies who would rather read the information available than ask questions and get abuse.

Pauls books, clac and forums are all perfect for someone starting out, and not gullible dreaming of a boat, bought one because Pauls information made it a lot less scary!! So thanks Paul :-)

Edited by Gippy
  • Greenie 1

If you paid somebody to write that crap, then I will revise my opinion.

I previously thought that you were probably genuine, but giving an image of being a con-artist.

I now appreciate that you have been the victim of a con. Somebody has taken you to the cleaners if you paid for that drivel.

I would suggest that you re-evaluate your strategy. Are you trying to provide a service that you are paid for or are you trying to maximise your income without regard to the service?

If you actually want to help people whilst being paid for it, your strategy won't work, because you are actually selling to the gullible who are dreaming of owning a boat rather than people who might actually buy a boat.

yikes!

yeah, I dont know how much he paid for that page, but whatever it was, it was too much. Totally agree with quoted post.

...and this is why people are afraid to post on here. At no stage have I been confrontational with you, nor will I begin now. However your head on unneccessary attack is unpleasant. The end result of the "drivel" as you call it is that more potential liveaboards buy the information than they did with the "drivel" written by myself.

As far as providing a service is concerned, I don't think I do too bad. I have spent several thousand hours developing a site full of free information which is currently ranked number four in the country by UKWRS. The information I have provided has actually put quite a few potential boat owners off the lifestyle rather than go into it blind and make a huge mistake. That's not a bad service by my standards.

Can you point me in the right direction? I'm all for constructive criticism.

honestly i dont think he is attacking you in that post because honestly everything on that page screams con to me. but there are other people who are not so savvy on the subject.

P.S. To Jenza, there also is a hard copy book called The Liveaboard Guide" available, by Tony Jones, also a forum member here. Username TonyReptiles. (Guess what his other area of expertise is, lol!)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Liveaboard-Guide-Living-Waterways/dp/1408145553

Agreed a good book - we bought a copy when we were first buying a boat with a long term view to living on it.

Very informative and well written too.

Edited by The Dog House

Point taken, but once again, the results are better now than they were with my own efforts. I even split tested the two different styles and the slick copy came out way ahead. Maybe I should have another go at it myself.

Interesting. Good that you keep a track of results. If you are going to re-wite and try again with your own copy, here's an example of one of my sites that pulls like a train, so you can see the style of something known to work. I probably spent about an evening writing the content.

www.netaheat-repairs.co.uk/

MtB

...and this is why people are afraid to post on here. At no stage have I been confrontational with you, nor will I begin now. However your head on unneccessary attack is unpleasant. The end result of the "drivel" as you call it is that more potential liveaboards buy the information than they did with the "drivel" written by myself.

And I am not being confrontational with you now. Neither am I making any kind of attack on you (head on or otherwise).

What I am doing is giving you an honest opinion of the content of that site.

As to the numbers, clearly I haven't explained myself well;

I'm sure that you are selling more information packs this way, but I would take issue with your claim that more "potential liveaboards" are buying it.

You are selling information to two groups of people;

1) People who are serious about moving aboard, and might actually do it.

2) People who are dreamers and who are not going to live aboard, any more than they are going to buy and renovate a derelict barn etc. etc.

My view is that the site as it stands will attract the dreamers, who are never going to live aboard, and put off those who genuinely intend to live aboard.

With the old pages, perhaps you sold 10 copies a month, and 5 of those copies went to people who actually intended to live aboard. With the new pages, perhaps you sell 20 a month, but probably only 5 are actually serious about living aboard.

Certainly you have doubled your sales, but you have halved the number of copies going to the people you want to help.

The front page is a bit too salesy for me but it's a good idea and there are many I can imagine that would find it very useful . I would ignore any antagonistic comments.

Ummm...

There are other pages? All I get is a single, hundred foot deep page full of shouting and selling

Paul, you seriously need to do something about that. Someone mentioned that you have a forum - where's the link? I'm asking because, if stuff doesn't turn up simply signposted in the web browser - without scrolling - people don't usually bother looking for it. And why should they?

Richard

P.S. Starcoaster has a good style and has been published in national magazines. She would be a good person to talk to, being another boat dweller

MORE: This is how your website appears in my browser:

website.jpg

WHat does it say to you?

Edited by RLWP

I think the page IMO is too salesy, it would certainly put me off as not being legit.

I totally get his point about it being a bit scary on here for some newbs to not really wanna ask a question & get shot down in flames for daring to ask, some of the folks on here do come across as being a bit nasty!

I spent several years gathering the info I wanted before buying a boat, most of it from here, now I have the boat I'm changing my mind about some of the info I'd previously gathered, & still have loads more to gather.

Good luck with the book.

Ummm...

There are other pages? All I get is a single, hundred foot deep page full of shouting and selling

Was going to say the same thing myself. It's all too much "OMG, OMG, Look here, now, buy this, you won't regret it, this is amazing, buy buy buy, these people have and their life is much better for it, did I say buy it?" for my liking.

Less is very often more on the internet.

Ummm...

Paul, you seriously need to do something about that. Someone mentioned that you have a forum - where's the link? I'm asking because, if stuff doesn't turn up simply signposted in the web browser - without scrolling - people don't usually bother looking for it. And why should they?

Richard

P.S. Starcoaster has a good style and has been published in national magazines. She would be a good person to talk to, being another boat dweller

MORE: This is how your website appears in my browser:

website.jpg

WHat does it say to you?

This sales page is on a sub domain. The main part of the site is here. The lack of links to it on the sales page is intentional.

And I am not being confrontational with you now. Neither am I making any kind of attack on you (head on or otherwise).

What I am doing is giving you an honest opinion of the content of that site.

As to the numbers, clearly I haven't explained myself well;

I'm sure that you are selling more information packs this way, but I would take issue with your claim that more "potential liveaboards" are buying it.

You are selling information to two groups of people;

1) People who are serious about moving aboard, and might actually do it.

2) People who are dreamers and who are not going to live aboard, any more than they are going to buy and renovate a derelict barn etc. etc.

My view is that the site as it stands will attract the dreamers, who are never going to live aboard, and put off those who genuinely intend to live aboard.

With the old pages, perhaps you sold 10 copies a month, and 5 of those copies went to people who actually intended to live aboard. With the new pages, perhaps you sell 20 a month, but probably only 5 are actually serious about living aboard.

Certainly you have doubled your sales, but you have halved the number of copies going to the people you want to help.

OK. I see your point now. It's well made and has given me something to think about. This whole thread has been very useful. Subconciously I was aware that the style was perhaps unsuitable for a target audience which is 95% UK based but, I suppose because of the money I spent on the copy, I ignored my instincts. My intention IS to help people who are considering moving afloat. Anyone who is a regular visitor to my site will tell you that. However, I want to balance the desire to help with the need to produce a little income to help pay the bills.

OK. I see your point now. It's well made and has given me something to think about. This whole thread has been very useful. Subconciously I was aware that the style was perhaps unsuitable for a target audience which is 95% UK based but, I suppose because of the money I spent on the copy, I ignored my instincts. My intention IS to help people who are considering moving afloat. Anyone who is a regular visitor to my site will tell you that. However, I want to balance the desire to help with the need to produce a little income to help pay the bills.

I should also mention that having seen the counter count down to zero (and thankfully vanish), and missed the "never to be repeated" offer, the deal appears to be no different now than when the offer was on.

Sorry, but that is blatant false advertising.

Well, I for one, have signed in to these pages after reading about how he has helped various newbies.

I am not impressed by people who rubbish Paul's efforts. And am not tempted to click on links for other people's extraordinarily good websites.

Everyone that does websites is better than anyone else it seems.

It's like 'Marmite Boating' half the forum has one opinion and the other half have the opposite opinion. icecream.gif

• Greenie 2

I should also mention that having seen the counter count down to zero (and thankfully vanish), and missed the "never to be repeated" offer, the deal appears to be no different now than when the offer was on.

Sorry, but that is blatant false advertising.

I have to disagree with you there. The offer before the countdown timer expires includes a guide containing all of the weekly newsletters I've written this year. There are getting on for three hundred pages of information in it. Some are simply blog entries but there's plenty of very useful stuff for newbies.

I found Paul's site very useful early on and still enjoy reading the newsletters and case studies. It's a useful resource and who can blame Paul for trying to earn a few quid from it?

Do agree that a more down to earth approach might bring in more visitors though.

I am not impressed by people who rubbish Paul's efforts. And am not tempted to click on links for other people's extraordinarily good websites.

People aren't rubbishing his efforts. Indeed, as I haven't seen what his efforts are. I am not currently a liveaboard, and should I become a liveaboard, I'm not sure that there is 20 quids worth of information there for ME (clearly there will be others for whom it IS worth £20).

What people are saying is "the way you advertise your product gives a very poor impression"

Oh, and I'm not advertising my website here.

People aren't rubbishing his efforts. Indeed, as I haven't seen what his efforts are. I am not currently a liveaboard, and should I become a liveaboard, I'm not sure that there is 20 quids worth of information there for ME (clearly there will be others for whom it IS worth £20).

What people are saying is "the way you advertise your product gives a very poor impression"

Oh, and I'm not advertising my website here.

I'm not advertising my web site here. I'm defending it. The only time I have provided links to it have been when asked to.

Not a liveaboard eh? Interesting.

• Greenie 1

Well, I for one, have signed in to these pages after reading about how he has helped various newbies.

It's like 'Marmite Boating' half the forum has one opinion and the other half have the opposite opinion. icecream.gif

I'm not in either of the marmite camps.

But I do wonder if the site designer, by not paying a great deal of attention to Paul's character and his intentions, whipped a quick website up for him based on something he created for somebody else, and in doing so did him a disservice

I'm not in either of the marmite camps.

But I do wonder if the site designer, by not paying a great deal of attention to Paul's character and his intentions, whipped a quick website up for him based on something he created for somebody else, and in doing so did him a disservice

Thanks for that but unfortunately I'm the site designer. Maybe I don't know myself as well as I should!

I'm not advertising my web site here. I'm defending it. The only time I have provided links to it have been when asked to.

Not a liveaboard eh? Interesting.

I was replying to another poster who alleged that people taking issue with your site are advertising their sites.

I don't advertise my site, so I'm not trying to draw any comparison with my site. I am simply offering what is I hope constructive criticism of your site.

I'm not sure why my not currently living aboard is "interesting"