Suitcase generator review

bonany

Featured Posts

I have a Honda EU10i that ran for 3 months before packing up. It was repaired under warranty. Having lain idle for a couple of years, it then packed up as soon as I started using it again. It is no longer in warranty, and is going to cost a fortune to repair.

I am quite prepared to believe I overloaded it, but at the price they charge, I believe Honda could and should have fitted proper overload protection.

I certainly won't be buying Honda again.

Edited by George94

My Honda EU10i is about 12 years old and is the standby emergency electrical supply on MARQUIS, but is rarely used now. But it still starts when it's wanted!

I have a Fischer Panda onboard diesel generator for day to day generating when tied up, and for the washing/dryer, immersion heater and all the heavy duty stuff. Just occasionally power is down in the morning with insufficient volts on the board to start it, so out with the Honda for 10 minutes!

The Honda has done eons of hours and had a new cylinder and piston some 8 years ago after four years in almost constant use. Otherwise it has run faultlessly and quietly and does seem to be the quietest of them all.

What more can I say about this great little machine.

James

I have a Honda EU10i that ran for 3 months before packing up. It was repaired under warranty. Having lain idle for a couple of years, it then packed up as soon as I started using it again. It is no longer in warranty, and is going to cost a fortune to repair.

I am quite prepared to believe I overloaded it, but at the price they charge, I believe Honda could and should have fitted proper overload protection.

Well, what will you be buying? You won't find a beter petrol generator than a Honda - that's a well known fact. As far as I am aware they do have overload cut out?

If you just leave any petrol generator for years on end without storing it properly it's likely to malfunction when you next start it. The same is true of other small petrol engines like outboards. You either have to run them regularly or prepare the engine for long-term storage.

Anyway, I've had a couple of Honda generators over many years and never had a problem. I would always buy Honda unless I was getting a proper marine diesel generator.

Edited by blackrose

Of course you made sure it was ready for such a long lay off, removed all fuel, changed the oil etc.

and then when required, changed the oil and checked it, ie spark plug and put in fresh fuel.

Performance for price Honda are at the very bottom of the list.

Reliability for price Honda are a long way from the top.

On reliability alone yes Honda are at the top, so it all comes down to price, since its unlikely your life depends on one.

Kipor and Hyundai seem the best compromise when taking price, performance and reliability into account. I have been told by a large retailer of both Honda and Kipor inverter/generators, that whilst the mechanics of the latter are marginally less well engineered, the electronics appear very similar and probably from the same Chinese source.

I have always enjoyed owning the best but since a suitcase generator is not at the forefront of my imagination, I am more than happy to pay just half the price for a higher spec Kipor IG2600 which so far has served me perfectly.

Well, what will you be buying? You won't find a beter petrol generator than a Honda - that's a well known fact. As far as I am aware they do have overload cut out?

If you just leave any petrol generator for years on end without storing it properly it's likely to malfunction when you next start it. The same is true of other small petrol engines like outboards. You either have to run them regularly or prepare the engine for long-term storage.

Anyway, I've had a couple of Honda generators over many years and never had a problem. I would always buy Honda unless I was getting a proper marine diesel generator.

Probably a Kipor.

I take your point about storage, but it's not the motor that has failed, it's the AC. The motor runs fine.

If it failed by being overloaded, then it should have had a cut-out that works.

The worst thing is that it is uneconomical to repair.

Of course you made sure it was ready for such a long lay off, removed all fuel, changed the oil etc.

and then when required, changed the oil and checked it, ie spark plug and put in fresh fuel.

As stated, the motor is fine.

Well on the day I order a new Honda generator it get's some bad reviews laugh.png

Our 2.6 kipor is too big, and I've now beggered it up by blocking the carb anyway, The original 12v outlet socked has also broken, It's also 7 years old, (i hadn't realised) and I've noticed some perishing on pipes, so I just can't be arsed with it now, so I'll sell it on for spares & repair. Another wee Honda 12v genny (Very Old model) has also packed in on me, so being really p1ssed off I've gone and bought a Honda.

I missed out on a brilliant machine that being a 1kva Yamaha, In all probability better than a Honda, they have extra features than a Honda, much cheaper servicing and spare parts.

Anyway I've gone for the EU10i really quiet easy to move around, Lynn can handle it no problem where she struggled a bit with the Kipor.

The Honda Cost £730.00 online with a free 12v charging lead and 5 year warranty, all you need to ensure the warranty is an annual service by one of their dealerships which costs an astonishing £70.00

I inquired locally to purchase but the guy said I would be better off buying on line as he can't beat the on line prices, his best price was £780, but would be happy to do the annual service. I was tempted to buy a second hand machine and asked if he did refurbishments. He stated no I don't and never would, and strongly advised not to but a Honda generator second hand unless you know for sure it's past. Apparently these machines clean up very well, and are often sold as new unused or hardly used. He said it's rare someone buys an £800 generator and doesn't use it. He said many market stall traders and the like keep the box and manuals and look after the units really well not damaging the casings, keeping them really clean, then run them 6 days a week for 5 years, make them look like new with a new exhaust and sell them on e-bay as little used for 4 to 500 quid. Then get a new one with a new 5 year warranty.

So that put me off second hand, There are probably some genuine bargains but I'm not going to risk it.

This one here looks genuine

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151183978204?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Manufactured 2110 likely to sell for £450, but Its probably not been serviced so no warranty left anyway.

The local Honda guy I spoke too seemed pretty genuine, so I'll happily take his advice, so I'm happy to pay another £280 and have a full 5 year warranty knowing the unit is brand new unused. It's a shame Honda have this market sewn up. Maybe Yamaha will start producing more of theit excellent units in the U.K and these type machines reach a more reasonable & realistic price.

ETA

Although I stated the e-bay item seemed genuine the listing is a bit inconsistent. He bought it a year ago as new. Manufactured in 2010, you have to ask what was it doing for a full to years before he purchased it. Still at £400 29 minutes to go.

Edited by Julynian

Hi,

Got both EU 2 and1, both over 10 years old both obtianed 2nd hand both been 100% reliable EU2 in daily use as static and off grid for the moment

We use mainly when out in the wilds in winter in the motorhome - the EU2 is quieter

Sold a Honda EU3 electric start jobbie when we left a prev marina that ran 4/5 hours every day for two years very quiet and again 100% reliable again purchased second hand

We tried the china blue gen set and had 4 in as many weeks all failed and one dropped all its fuel due to "out of spec" fuel hose

Honda for me every time

Ray

Right.

Been looking a solar panels and the idea thereof, for when we become CC'ers. About £1000 fitted.

Then I read this thread.

I am now thinking, do I want solar or a Genny. If I go the Genny way, do I buy a Honda or a Hyundai? I think the Hyundai 2000sei seems to be quite a goodun. Like the way it has a battery and you can start it three ways. Key,remote fob and cord pull.

If and when I buy a generator of whatever breed, can you charge the batteries directly by connecting the 12v supply to the bank or do I have to purchase a 240v charger and plug that into the generator. If the latter, what would be a good quality charger for such a use?

Lots of questions, indicating that I'm a bit of a numbskull, but to be fair I'm only 50/50 numbskull and just not confident enough to 'go it alone' without the knowledge CWDF members.

Martyn.

Right.

Been looking a solar panels and the idea thereof, for when we become CC'ers. About £1000 fitted.

Then I read this thread.

I am now thinking, do I want solar or a Genny. If I go the Genny way, do I buy a Honda or a Hyundai? I think the Hyundai 2000sei seems to be quite a goodun. Like the way it has a battery and you can start it three ways. Key,remote fob and cord pull.

If and when I buy a generator of whatever breed, can you charge the batteries directly by connecting the 12v supply to the bank or do I have to purchase a 240v charger and plug that into the generator. If the latter, what would be a good quality charger for such a use?

Lots of questions, indicating that I'm a bit of a numbskull, but to be fair I'm only 50/50 numbskull and just not confident enough to 'go it alone' without the knowledge CWDF members.

Martyn.

Most the smaller generators have a 12v charging option, it's usually only 6 to 8 amps though, ok for trickle charging but to relplce heavy usage not good,so plugging in a battery charger say at 50 amp will perform better in getting your batteries charged.

Solar panels are much cheaper long term. A generator requires expensive fuel to run.

We have 740 watts of solar, that gives us plenty of free energy from March to end October. Through winter we'll use the small Honda to back up generation, I might still fit the planned small engined 12v diesel generator.

Edited by Julynian

12v diesel generator.

I'll do a search.

Another option perhaps or even additional to all the rest.

Martyn

This is a project not a general product. I bought a small Kubota OC60 diesel engine some time ago. 2 x Bosch 90 amp alternators will be strapped to it, engine is electric start, it will be fitted in the engine room along side main engine fuelled and exhausted and dedicated to charging the 700 amp BB

Well that's the plan. I might just rely on this new Honda laugh.png

There are some small 50 amp petrol 12v generators around though, I recall sterling does or did one.

Edited by Julynian

I'm just going to throw up a couple of links of what models I've been looking at, see what you guys think:

http://generators.co.uk/Product/0000000700/Hyundai_HY1000SI

http://www.thegreenreaper.co.uk/Generators/Portable_Suitcase_Generators/Kipor-IG1000-Digital-Generator-with-Inverter-Technology.html

http://www.thegreenreaper.co.uk/Generators/Portable_Suitcase_Generators/Gardencare_TG1000i_Portable_Petrol_Generator.html

http://thepowersite.co.uk/evopower-sf1000-1kw-inverter-generator/

http://www.justgenerators.co.uk/pages/yamahaEF1000is.htm

They all seem good on these websites, whether they are in reality is another thing.

I'm thinking hyundai by what some of you guys are saying. But yamaha boasts the quietest in its field.

I'm just going to throw up a couple of links of what models I've been looking at, see what you guys think:

http://www.thegreenreaper.co.uk/Generators/Portable_Suitcase_Generators/Kipor-IG1000-Digital-Generator-with-Inverter-Technology.html

http://www.thegreenreaper.co.uk/Generators/Portable_Suitcase_Generators/Gardencare_TG1000i_Portable_Petrol_Generator.html

They all seem good on these websites, whether they are in reality is another thing.

I'm thinking hyundai by what some of you guys are saying. But yamaha boasts the quietest in its field.

Personally I think the Yamaha is a superior machine to the Honda, it's even quieter. In the U.S these units are about £40%cheaper than a Honda, here they're dearer. £649 + vat = £778.80 I've just paid £730 for the Honda.

I do like this machine but it's a bit unproven here to punt that much money on.

Beware the Hyundai, I found some bad feedback on performance and shoddy componants, the engines are Chinese also according to some feedback and not hyundai engines as you would expect, it's was said this is just a basic Chinese unit with Hyundai branding.

Yamaha use their own engines with their own technology wrapped around them. Check out you tube, they're mostly U.S clips though.

Edited by Julynian

Julynian,

we're still debating on investing in a genny or not; Dave "thinks" we'll have just about enough power without one, but will more than likely mean a very tight and organized approach to what items we can have running at the same time. "nothing else running when doing a load of wash", or "can't have the mini vac running at the same time as the slow cooker & tv" etcetera etcetera....

The plan is we will see just how hard it is for the first month or so without a genny and then decide if we indeed "need" one or not. We've pretty much decided to go with a small diesel genny (if there's one that exists, that isn't 3 tonne and the size of a American style fridge/freezer), based solely on Dave's apprehension of carrying petrol on board for a suit case style petrol genny.

If I remember correctly your a CC, how do you manage to safely carry petrol? and is it a concern to you?unsure.png

Any thoughts on the above question from other CC's would be most appreciated as well.

Ta

B~

Julynian,

we're still debating on investing in a genny or not; Dave "thinks" we'll have just about enough power without one, but will more than likely mean a very tight and organized approach to what items we can have running at the same time. "nothing else running when doing a load of wash", or "can't have the mini vac running at the same time as the slow cooker & tv" etcetera etcetera....

The plan is we will see just how hard it is for the first month or so without a genny and then decide if we indeed "need" one or not. We've pretty much decided to go with a small diesel genny (if there's one that exists, that isn't 3 tonne and the size of a American style fridge/freezer), based solely on Dave's apprehension of carrying petrol on board for a suit case style petrol genny.

If I remember correctly your a CC, how do you manage to safely carry petrol? and is it a concern to you?unsure.png

Any thoughts on the above question from other CC's would be most appreciated as well.

Ta

B~

Hi Bettie

The reason I decided to do my own set up was because there's not many or a good choice of small diesel generators around, especially with electric start. I also preferred to charge directly via alternator but avoid running the main boat engine. The smaller Kubota engine I have uses, a 1/4 of the diesel as well.

I'm not keen on petrol on the boat, it's not that it's dangerous as such, but it does though have a higher risk of ignition than diesel as it can so easily be ignited either directly by a spark as can the vapour. Diesel is much more forgiving. We have external seat lockers to store it in though using proper petrol containers of course, so pretty safe. We generally keep about 15L onboard.

Personally I wouldn't like to rely on a petrol generator for energy needs all year. Solar is a much cheaper and efficient option. A petrol generator is really for back up power rather than long term daily use. I am going to see how well it copes though through the winter months as we only really need to use it for 3 to 4 months a year and not for long periods.

The Kipor that we have been using was doing the job extremely well hence my possible change of mind fitting the Kubota engine project. Even the 2.6 KVA Kipor only used 9l of petrol in three 3 weeks we were running it, which was most days 2 to 3 hours a day. I was in the middle of a fuel consumption test too when it packed in. It was looking like well over 10 hours on a tankful though.

I'm hoping the new wee Honda will be as or even more efficient. We just run a 240 fridge 2 lap tops all day, both occasionally gaming evenings, some TV 30" CH pump & LED lighting. Occasional hoover hair drier and washing machine only used when engine is running via inverter.

Fitting the Kubota diesel set up I've mentioned would still be quite expensive, so if the wee Honda 10i copes I might not bother and sell the engine and alternators on. It really is a suck and see situation but good to get right. Living on a boat is really enjoyable, getting interrupted with generator problems is a pain, I hope these Honda's are as good as they claim. They do seem to need a lot of servicing and maintenance according to the manual, although as mentioned only used 3 to 4 months a year and in possible emergencies.